QC has West Nile

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2012, 01:35 PM
QC has West Nile
Fortunately, West Nile isn't as bad as the media makes it out to be. It's more or less like a really bad flu. I had it back in 2006, so I can empathize with her.

Poor thing... she feels like complete crap.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2012, 01:38 PM
RE: QC has West Nile
I know little about that virus...
Is it spread by mosquitoes?

Hope she gets well soon, man.

[Image: opforum1.png]
15-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Birds carry it and mosquitoes spread it.

Since we live in a swamp that's the size of a state... yeah... lot of mosquitoes... chances of getting the virus here are pretty good.

The doctor said that a lot people have the virus and don't know it because it doesn't show symptoms in most cases. I think only like 20% or so show symptoms and less than 1% die. Just so happens that my wife and I are the unfortunate 19% that show symptoms. Either that or we've had it a lot of other times and it just showed this time around. Probably the latter.

15-09-2012, 01:48 PM
You sure it isn't actually the curse of the swamp creature?

[Image: curseoftheswampcreature.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
15-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Hope QC gets better soon Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
15-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Oh, that's too bad. Plenty of sleep, NO sugar, very little solid food if any - keep it at liquids - lots of liquids.

Try to minimize her contact with the kids. The most vulnerable are children, the elderly, and people with compromised immune systems.

We've had a spike here in Kansas, as well. I think we had an old guy die from it just last week - he was a WWII vet. He was ancient.

The mosquitos are a culprit - make sure there's no standing water for them to breed. If you have a birdbath, hose out and change the water each day.

And if you contract it from her .... Laughat

Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
15-09-2012, 02:05 PM
(15-09-2012 02:01 PM)kim Wrote:  The mosquitos are a culprit - make sure there's no standing water for them to breed.

You mean like the swamp he lives in? Tongue

[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
15-09-2012, 02:28 PM
(15-09-2012 02:05 PM)frankiej Wrote:  
(15-09-2012 02:01 PM)kim Wrote:  The mosquitos are a culprit - make sure there's no standing water for them to breed.

You mean like the swamp he lives in? Tongue

Ha - I'm slow to send today. Blink

Bats eat mosquitos like crazy and living in a swamp state is the best reason I know to put up Bat houses. Kingsy, you and Prince need to let Queeny and Princess nap.

Get that boy outdoors and show him how to hammer nails so you two can build Bat houses.
Go. Google some Bat house ideas, and shop for boy size tools. We'll need pics, of course.

What's wrong; not into the whole son of a carpenter thing, today? Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
15-09-2012, 04:02 PM
The kids are staying at my parent's house until she gets better.

And, bats? I love bats. I had no idea they were like that with mosquitoes... hmmm, that's a good idea.

We would already catch a king snake and let it loose around the house. It would stay for years and clean house - no rodents or venomous snakes. Kinda the same idea.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
15-09-2012, 04:11 PM
(15-09-2012 04:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  The kids are staying at my parent's house until she gets better.

And, bats? I love bats. I had no idea they were like that with mosquitoes... hmmm, that's a good idea.

We would already catch a king snake and let it loose around the house. It would stay for years and clean house - no rodents or venomous snakes. Kinda the same idea.

Definitely yes on the bat houses! I have two ponds and used to have mosquitoes until I put up bat houses years ago. Haven't seen one of those pesky insects since. And the bats - you don't see them unless you go out when there is very little light out - then they fly. I like them.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post