QM question: What causes wave collapse?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2014, 02:33 PM
RE: QM question: What causes wave collapse?
(01-04-2014 01:58 PM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  I wouldn't put Deepak Chopra in the same conversation as John Von Neumann, Eugene Wigner, and Henry Stapp. But I take your point.

The various interpretations have all been about trying to make sense of the non-intuitive/non-common sense results of experiments.

Even things like "particle-wave duality" are a way of trying to get a handle on observations.
Those things we call particles that seem to act like waves are really neither particles nor waves - they are whatever they are and we're trying to figure out what that is.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-04-2014, 06:33 PM
(01-04-2014 01:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-04-2014 12:20 PM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  Some even go so far as to say, "to be is to be perceived."

Right, because sub-atomic particles keep looking over their shoulders. No

(01-04-2014 01:29 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Wave functions don't really collapse per se; they collapse in one measurement basis, and they do so by assuming a corresponding different state in all other measurement bases, with all the usual invariance and conservation applying. This happens due to interaction, and anyone I've spoken to would deprecate usage of 'observation' as a poor term.

A physicist, trying to bring the cookies down to a shelf I could reach, explained it to me this way "We can't simultaneously know position and momentum. So what. All that's saying is I can ski and I can swim but not at the same time." That I can get.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
02-04-2014, 07:59 AM
(01-04-2014 06:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  A physicist, trying to bring the cookies down to a shelf I could reach, explained it to me this way "We can't simultaneously know position and momentum. So what. All that's saying is I can ski and I can swim but not at the same time." That I can get.

And we even have evidence to support that. Yes

[Image: 204262118_640.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post