Quandry about Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Quandry about Christianity
If the Bible, as fundies believe, was written by gawd, why is it that 2000 years later we still have numerous faiths who don't buy into it? Plus all the atheists?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Takelababy's post
08-04-2014, 03:31 PM
RE: Quandry about Christianity
"Free will."
"Satan."
"Sinful hearts."
[+] 3 users Like PoolBoyG's post
08-04-2014, 07:19 PM
After Eve, none of the chicks get naked...

As soon as them fig leaves appeared I thought "done, this religion ain't for me."

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
08-04-2014, 07:55 PM
It wasn't written by any god...it was written by other fundies. They're all nuts.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
08-04-2014, 08:14 PM
Because Christians are incredibly hypocritical, and their claim that their religion is the one true faith is very stuck-up, since it specifically implies that they are more special than others because they were brought up to believe in the "right" religion. Of course, trying to get them to see their arrogance and hypocrisy is pretty much a lost cause.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
08-04-2014, 08:55 PM
(08-04-2014 03:26 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  If the Bible, as fundies believe, was written by gawd, why is it that 2000 years later we still have numerous faiths who don't buy into it? Plus all the atheists?

That's because it was drafted and revised by humans, not God.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
08-04-2014, 09:34 PM
Okay, here's my sensible answer...

As others have said, the Bible was written by humans... Fallible, scientifically ignorant humans. The Bible is littered with contradictions and stories which are demonstrably completely and totally false.

We can discount Biblical history, biology, cosmology and astronomy to different degrees as a mixture of mythology, assumption and pure ignorance.

Christians either call it literal or metaphorical.

And that's basically it... That's why I don't buy it.

As for other religions... They have their own books full of contradictory, false stories, and they get around it in much the same way. Either by denial or skirting around the issue.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
09-04-2014, 06:47 AM
(08-04-2014 08:14 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Because Christians are incredibly hypocritical, and their claim that their religion is the one true faith is very stuck-up, since it specifically implies that they are more special than others because they were brought up to believe in the "right" religion. Of course, trying to get them to see their arrogance and hypocrisy is pretty much a lost cause.

A lot of them have very detailed arguments for why Christianity is completely correct and why the Koran is inaccurate. A lot of this involves asserting the Bible has a 100% success rate in fulfilled prophesies. I've pointed out some failed prophesies two times before and it never ends well. At some point, I get asked "Well what are you going to believe? The word of God or of man?". At that point, the conversation is pretty much over. They're literally saying "I believe this regardless of whether or not it can be proven false."

Also, I'm always tempted to give a super snarky answer to that question. "I'm atheist. Which of those two do you think I believe?". Also, the reasoning is incredibly circular: you have to believe in God to believe in the prophesies. The prophesies prove God!
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
09-04-2014, 10:46 AM
(08-04-2014 03:26 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  If the Bible, as fundies believe, was written by gawd, why is it that 2000 years later we still have numerous faiths who don't buy into it? Plus all the atheists?
Because fundies don't typically think about the question that you just asked. They are indoctrinated to accept on faith, don't question, and don't worry if something doesn't seem to make sense - God understands and that's all they need to know.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
09-04-2014, 12:38 PM

Here's a problem that occurred to me after I started down the road to de-converting. The bible claims that all scripture is God-breathed. Aside from the fact that this is essentially saying the bible is true because it says so, it also ignores the fact that when the documents that make up the bible were written, they were not written as part of a singular work. So how do we know specifically what scriptures ARE God-breathed? Are we supposed to assume that God came down to the early Roman Catholics and made sure they picked the right documents to go in the official bible?
[+] 1 user Likes dogerdog's post