Quantum Physics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2015, 07:41 AM
RE: Quantum Physics
(22-08-2015 06:07 PM)ZoraPrime Wrote:  Also, just a comment about probability. Quantum mechanics does involve probability, but I'm not sure how much a typical statistics/probability course will help. The only construct that's useful is knowing what a probability density function (PDF) is in general, how expected value and higher moments are defined w.r.t. to an arbitrary probability density function, and how to get the cumulative density function (CDF). Even then, I wouldn't say finding the probability directly is the emphasis in a quantum mechanics course; the emphasis is finding the so-called probability amplitude, whose norm squared is related to a PDF.

My thought was rather that such an approach could be constructed, not that I've seen one. The foundational maths of quantum mechanics predate quantum mechanics - they're what happen when you generalise probability from real numbers to complex numbers.

(22-08-2015 06:07 PM)ZoraPrime Wrote:  Although cjlr already pointed out that the third panel in the OP is relativity, it also bothers me that the second one is classical electrodynamics. But whatever; I'm honestly not sure how seriously the image is supposed to be taken given the last panel.

I gave that one a pass because it's at least obtainable as the classical limit of quantum results...

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2015, 09:04 AM
I would recommend the works of Deepak Chopra!!! He has a very good understanding of quantum physics.

Had you worried there for a second, eh? Evil_monsterSmile

Another question I would ask is "what time frame are you looking at?" If you want a deep understanding, you might and probably should be thinking in terms of years. Maybe 2 or 3 or 4. Nothing wrong with that. You mention linear algebra and stats, but a good bite at calculus (including DEs and maybe tensor calculus) would be invaluable.

If you're looking at a much shorter time frame, there are a number of excellent recommendations in this thread.

And, of course, you can do both. Read some of the less technically difficult sources now and then move onto the more advanced stuff later.

Best of luck.
23-08-2015, 10:26 AM
(23-08-2015 09:04 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  And, of course, you can do both. Read some of the less technically difficult sources now and then move onto the more advanced stuff later.

Best of luck.

That is my strategy. I intend it to be a lifelong study, so I am starting with the very basics and working my way up (or down?)

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2015, 11:26 AM
(23-08-2015 07:41 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(22-08-2015 06:07 PM)ZoraPrime Wrote:  Also, just a comment about probability. Quantum mechanics does involve probability, but I'm not sure how much a typical statistics/probability course will help. The only construct that's useful is knowing what a probability density function (PDF) is in general, how expected value and higher moments are defined w.r.t. to an arbitrary probability density function, and how to get the cumulative density function (CDF). Even then, I wouldn't say finding the probability directly is the emphasis in a quantum mechanics course; the emphasis is finding the so-called probability amplitude, whose norm squared is related to a PDF.

My thought was rather that such an approach could be constructed, not that I've seen one. The foundational maths of quantum mechanics predate quantum mechanics - they're what happen when you generalise probability from real numbers to complex numbers.

(22-08-2015 06:07 PM)ZoraPrime Wrote:  Although cjlr already pointed out that the third panel in the OP is relativity, it also bothers me that the second one is classical electrodynamics. But whatever; I'm honestly not sure how seriously the image is supposed to be taken given the last panel.

I gave that one a pass because it's at least obtainable as the classical limit of quantum results...

The image was not meant to be serious in any way

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
01-09-2015, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2015 07:46 PM by Ted Tucker.)
Edx offers some great free courses online https://www.edx.org/course?search_query=Quantum

Also the Feynman lectures are wonderful.

I only wish I had the advanced math background one needs to truly understand the beauty of this strange language...

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes Ted Tucker's post
02-09-2015, 11:18 AM
(22-08-2015 06:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-08-2015 06:39 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  Awesome, thank you for the links! Particle physics is what I'm studying at the moment. I'm learning about the various types of quarks, anti-quarks and gluons that form hadrons. It was interesting to learn that proton particles, despite being seen as having two up quarks and one down quark actually have zillions of quarks and anti-quarks and gluons dashing around at near the speed of light and smashing into each other. I think next I will learn about how gluons act as carriers of energy in terms of gravitational and electro-magnetic forces.

Charming, but strange. Drinking Beverage

Well, that is only if you take a top/down approach.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
02-09-2015, 11:49 AM
You guys can shove these quark jokes up your bottom.

Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
02-09-2015, 11:59 AM
But there's such truth and beauty in them...

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
02-09-2015, 12:13 PM
Truth and beauty are things of the past, my friend. Physics got ugly. Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
02-09-2015, 12:18 PM
(02-09-2015 11:49 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  You guys can shove these quark jokes up your bottom.

Tongue

That quark joke was weak . . . Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post