Quantum Scientists prove that the future creates the past- WTF!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2015, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2015 06:50 PM by Chas.)
RE: Quantum Scientists prove that the future creates the past- WTF!!!
(12-06-2015 06:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-06-2015 06:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  Nope. The physical system does not exhibit quantum effects, only elements of it (some particles) do.

Nope. You have misread the article. In practice we can't but in principle there is no reason why we couldn't demonstrate quantum superposition of my fat ass sitting in this chair. And to go a step further we know why in practice we can't. Quantum theory is not limited to some bizarre corner of some quirky closet in some physicists' masturbatory wet dreams. It is a fundamental universal theory of the nature of reality. Why this seems to bother you is beyond me.

Big things like your fat ass are the sum of all the little quantum things.
This smears the quantum effects and makes the probability of your fat ass showing quantum effects virtually zero.

Schrödinger's Cat is an objection, not a confirmation.

What bothers me is the misapplication of effects at one level to a level where they don't - and can't - apply.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2015, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2015 07:25 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-06-2015 06:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  Big things like your fat ass are the sum of all the little quantum things. This smears the quantum effects and makes the probability of your fat ass showing quantum effects virtually zero.

The paper demonstrates the first observation of controlling for the confounding smearings at a macroscopic visible scale.

(12-06-2015 06:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  What bothers me is the misapplication of effects at one level to a level where they don't - and can't - apply.

I love you old man but you'll excuse me if I question your authority on that statement. I mean you look a lot like John Archibald Wheeling but you don't sound like him. Tongue

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
12-06-2015, 07:00 PM
(12-06-2015 06:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-06-2015 06:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  Big things like your fat ass are the sum of all the little quantum things. This smears the quantum effects and makes the probability of your fat ass showing quantum effects virtually zero.

The paper demonstrates the first observation of controlling for the confounding smearings at a macroscopic visible scale.

Paper? All I saw was a video. Consider

Quote:
(12-06-2015 06:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  What bothers me is the misapplication of effects at one level to a level where they don't - and can't - apply.

I love you old man but you'll excuse me if I question your authority on that statement.

I am an acknowledged expert on what bothers me. Yes

12-06-2015, 07:03 PM

So-called classical behaviour is a statistically emergent phenomenon. But there is no well-defined point at which any system transitions; the fundamental elements retain their properties. Sufficiently large systems exhibit classical behaviour, but the definition of "sufficient" depends on the system's parameters.

Quantum superposition of position distribution wave functions - in short, double slit experiments - have been performed with objects as large as fullerenes.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
12-06-2015, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2015 07:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-06-2015 07:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-06-2015 06:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The paper demonstrates the first observation of controlling for the confounding smearings at a macroscopic visible scale.

Paper? All I saw was a video. Consider

When you sees the words highlighted in blue it means you click the words and they magically take you to another world: We have demonstrated quantum superposition of a visible mechanical system.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
12-06-2015, 07:14 PM
(12-06-2015 07:03 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Quantum superposition of position distribution wave functions - in short, double slit experiments - have been performed with objects as large as fullerenes.

No offense to the size of Bucky's Balls, but this experiment is orders of magnitude bigger.

12-06-2015, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2015 07:44 PM by Chas.)
(12-06-2015 07:03 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

So-called classical behaviour is a statistically emergent phenomenon. But there is no well-defined point at which any system transitions; the fundamental elements retain their properties. Sufficiently large systems exhibit classical behaviour, but the definition of "sufficient" depends on the system's parameters.

Quantum superposition of position distribution wave functions - in short, double slit experiments - have been performed with objects as large as fullerenes.

When you get to 6.02 x 10²³ molecules, let me know.

If it requires computation to deal with the statistical smearing, then it is an intractable problem.

And how are they going to cool your fat ass to a sufficiently low temperature to put it in its quantum ground state? Consider

12-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Quantum mechanics provides a highly accurate description of a wide variety of physical systems. However, a demonstration that quantum mechanics applies equally to macroscopic mechanical systems has been a long-standing challenge, hindered by the difficulty of cooling a mechanical mode to its quantum ground state. The temperatures required are typically far below those attainable with standard cryogenic methods, so significant effort has been devoted to developing alternative cooling techniques. Once in the ground state, quantum-limited measurements must then be demonstrated. Here, using conventional cryogenic refrigeration, we show that we can cool a mechanical mode to its quantum ground state by using a microwave-frequency mechanical oscillat or—a ‘quantum drum’—coupled to a quantum bit, which is used to measure the quantum state of the resonator. We further show that we can controllably create single quantum excitations (phonons) in the resonator, thus taking the first steps to complete quantum control of a mechanical system.

12-06-2015, 07:50 PM
(12-06-2015 07:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Quantum mechanics provides a highly accurate description of a wide variety of physical systems. However, a demonstration that quantum mechanics applies equally to macroscopic mechanical systems has been a long-standing challenge, hindered by the difficulty of cooling a mechanical mode to its quantum ground state. The temperatures required are typically far below those attainable with standard cryogenic methods, so significant effort has been devoted to developing alternative cooling techniques. Once in the ground state, quantum-limited measurements must then be demonstrated. Here, using conventional cryogenic refrigeration, we show that we can cool a mechanical mode to its quantum ground state by using a microwave-frequency mechanical oscillat or—a ‘quantum drum’—coupled to a quantum bit, which is used to measure the quantum state of the resonator. We further show that we can controllably create single quantum excitations (phonons) in the resonator, thus taking the first steps to complete quantum control of a mechanical system.

You will kindly note the phrase "quantum control of a mechanical system". That is a far cry from the mechanical system (the macro object) being in superposition or anything like it.

12-06-2015, 07:52 PM
(12-06-2015 07:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  If it requires computation to deal with the statistical smearing, then it is an intractable problem.

Only if P ≠ NP. Drinking Beverage