Quantum and Digital Physics argument for the existence of God.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2015, 08:45 AM
RE: Quantum and Digital Physics argument for the existence of God.
(08-07-2015 08:42 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  And the whole "who created the creator?" thing. That's totally fine with me. I don't have any assumptions about it other than it processes information that makes the universe do all of it's strange and crazy things.
If it's simply another being of many, that's cool too. I have no idea. I'm just getting as far as I can with the information we have so far.

So you lied when you gave your definition of your god.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2015, 08:49 AM
(08-07-2015 08:04 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  OP, you never answered my question. I still want to know. What is "Digital Physics"? Does it keep time better than "Analog Physics"?

I suspect you used some buzzwords to create an impressive sounding thread title. You have three in there: Quantum, Digital and Physics. That's a level 3 Chopraism.

Doc

My apologies. I've been answering as many as I can.

So Digital Physics is really a simple idea. Wikipedia has a pretty good explanation of Digital Physics -

In physics and cosmology, digital physics is a collection of theoretical perspectives based on the premise that the universe is, at heart, describable by information, and is therefore computable. Therefore, according to this theory, the universe can be conceived of as either the output of a deterministic or probabilistic computer program, a vast, digital computation device, or mathematically isomorphic to such a device.

Digital physics is grounded in one or more of the following hypotheses; listed in order of increasing strength. The physical world:

• is essentially informational
• is essentially computable
• can be described digitally
• is in essence digital
• is itself a computer
• is the output of a simulated reality exercise

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
[+] 1 user Likes ideasonscribe's post
08-07-2015, 08:51 AM
(08-07-2015 08:45 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-07-2015 08:42 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  And the whole "who created the creator?" thing. That's totally fine with me. I don't have any assumptions about it other than it processes information that makes the universe do all of it's strange and crazy things.
If it's simply another being of many, that's cool too. I have no idea. I'm just getting as far as I can with the information we have so far.

So you lied when you gave your definition of your god.

Why do you say that?

—Jeremy LaBorde
08-07-2015, 08:55 AM
(08-07-2015 08:51 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(08-07-2015 08:45 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So you lied when you gave your definition of your god.

Why do you say that?

Read your own definition.

"Digital physics is grounded in one or more of the following hypotheses; listed in order of increasing strength. The physical world:

• is in essence digital
• is itself a computer
• is the output of a simulated reality exercise"

And so this nonsense is part of your "argument for God" ?
Hahahaha
And how exactly is this compatible with QM and quantum indeterminacy and Uncertainty ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-07-2015, 08:57 AM
(08-07-2015 08:55 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-07-2015 08:51 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Why do you say that?

Read your own definition.

"Digital physics is grounded in one or more of the following hypotheses; listed in order of increasing strength. The physical world:

• is in essence digital
• is itself a computer

Hahahaha
And how exactly is this compatible with QM and quantum indeterminacy and Uncertainty ?

I don't even know how to dialogue with you. It's as if you're reading my last two comments and then basing a counter-argument based on those alone. I suspect you're simply saying shit to see if you can piss me off.

—Jeremy LaBorde
08-07-2015, 10:12 AM
(08-07-2015 08:57 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(08-07-2015 08:55 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Read your own definition.

• is in essence digital
• is itself a computer

Hahahaha

I don't even know how to dialogue with you. It's as if you're reading my last two comments and then basing a counter-argument based on those alone. I suspect you're simply saying shit to see if you can piss me off.

No. You just can't stand that I don't buy into your crap. You can't answer any questions anyone puts to you, and you get all pissy when people point that out.
Many people have asked you the same question. You ignore them all. You still have not established the connection made in your OP. You ignored the video I posted pointing what was wrong about what you said about your god.

08-07-2015, 10:34 AM
(05-07-2015 04:39 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  ------> The information processing the hologram is coming from a mind - rather than a highly advanced computer. <------

If the cosmos is a hologram, where is the information coming from?
We know that simulations of virtual realities can be processed via computers. However, in order to build a computer to process every qubit of our universe, one would need to create a computer larger than the universe itself. It's not practical and largely unnecessary to postulate.
However we do know that our brains can process information much more smoothly and compactly into platonic information.
The above science has shown, however, that the brain is also a part of the hologram. Therefore, the matter that makes the brain is also observer dependent.
That means that the mind is fundamental and can be a separate entity. (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20...MvW5NB-FA)
(http://www.projects.science.uu.nl/igg/jo...igner.pdf)
If this is true, then our universe can more simply be explained by inferring a mind processing the universe through platonic information processing.
This mind would be a cosmic mind that envelopes all of space-time in our four dimensions.

"What I mean by 'consciousness' is, consciousness is the one thing that cannot be an illusion."
- Sam Harris

There's just one teeny-weeny problem. Your fifth postulate is presented as fact, based on the previous four, except that you made an unjustifiable leap. The "sources" that you provided as authorities for this statement say nothing of "the cosmic mind". The first source is just Quantum Mechanics 101 for the lay audience and your second link is broken (in fact, there are other broken links in your OP).

Care to provide some real sources for your claim?

Doc
08-07-2015, 10:53 AM
(08-07-2015 10:34 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(05-07-2015 04:39 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  ------> The information processing the hologram is coming from a mind - rather than a highly advanced computer. <------

If the cosmos is a hologram, where is the information coming from?
We know that simulations of virtual realities can be processed via computers. However, in order to build a computer to process every qubit of our universe, one would need to create a computer larger than the universe itself. It's not practical and largely unnecessary to postulate.
However we do know that our brains can process information much more smoothly and compactly into platonic information.
The above science has shown, however, that the brain is also a part of the hologram. Therefore, the matter that makes the brain is also observer dependent.
That means that the mind is fundamental and can be a separate entity. (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20...MvW5NB-FA)
(http://www.projects.science.uu.nl/igg/jo...igner.pdf)
If this is true, then our universe can more simply be explained by inferring a mind processing the universe through platonic information processing.
This mind would be a cosmic mind that envelopes all of space-time in our four dimensions.

"What I mean by 'consciousness' is, consciousness is the one thing that cannot be an illusion."
- Sam Harris

There's just one teeny-weeny problem. Your fifth postulate is presented as fact, based on the previous four, except that you made an unjustifiable leap. The "sources" that you provided as authorities for this statement say nothing of "the cosmic mind". The first source is just Quantum Mechanics 101 for the lay audience and your second link is broken (in fact, there are other broken links in your OP).

Care to provide some real sources for your claim?

Doc

The way this argument was written was intended to encourage more questions. If you think I've presented this as a conclusive argument, you're missing the point, and you're not asking the right questions.

Also, I found one of the problems with one of my links (which may also be a bad source I recently found). If you don't mind showing me which links aren't working, I would appreciate it. I'm using my phone at the moment feeding my kid.

—Jeremy LaBorde
08-07-2015, 11:21 AM
(08-07-2015 10:53 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  The way this argument was written was intended to encourage more questions. If you think I've presented this as a conclusive argument, you're missing the point, and you're not asking the right questions.

Well this just took a turn. I am not sure whether you meant it but that was a rather pompous statement. We're not asking the right questions? If you have something to share and we aren't aware of it, that is your own fault, not ours. The questions that we are asking are basically trying to figure out the parts you left out or appear fallacious. For all of his vinegar, Bucky has illustrated some problems and I don't think you have adequately addressed them. I have also pointed out some problems and Doc did as well. Instead of addressing many of the problems, you have instead sort of hand-waved or ignored some of the problems. Doc is right to point out what he did and the best you can do is tell him that he didn't ask the right questions or just didn't get it.

I thought QM pointed to what you were getting at many years ago as well. However, I also realized that to do basically what you are doing is as fallacious as any other religious claim that makes unfounded leaps.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
08-07-2015, 11:27 AM
(08-07-2015 10:53 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  you're missing the point, and you're not asking the right questions.

Since you've been back for about 5 minutes, and you would have no way of knowing, ... you have ANY idea how stupid that comment was ?
If ANYONE on TTA asks the RIGHT questions, it's doc.

It's like a todler telling Einstein he knows nothing. Facepalm

Weeping

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post