Quarter life crisis?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2015, 09:05 AM
Quarter life crisis?
I'll get straight to it: I am not happy with my job.
There are many reasons why: my co-teacher is a senile old woman, I am a pawn of the school and I hate the lifestyle.
Everything else in my life is going well.
I want to be a freelance journalist.
I love freedom.
I have no journalism experience, aside from a college course (my only 4.0 in college).
I think I am a hotshot.
I have a particular angle and knowledge of my subject: the Hmong hill tribe.
I have no journalism experience.
I want to leave my job but I would be stranded.
I am 25.

Can anyone relate? Or am I just going crazy? All the other foreign teachers look so happy and I hate them for it.

“[Science] works! Planes fly. Cars drive. Computers compute. If you base medicine on science, you cure people. If you base the design of planes on science, they fly. If you base the design of rockets on science, they reach the moon. It works...bitches.” - Richie D Da Illest
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2015, 09:20 AM
RE: Quarter life crisis?
Why not write a few freelance articles and submit them to various journals, magazines etc. while you are still working at your current job.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-08-2015, 10:11 AM
That's the second intended point of my thread: where do I start? I have ideas for stories but it involves me leaving for China--that's something I can't afford right now. I have an idea for a local story but I won't be here for when it happens. I'll be in Bangkok at that time. Should I just write fluff for the meantime? Travel tips, food, etc. I know my heart won't be in it but maybe that's where I need to start. Maybe I already know what I need to do and I'm just crying for confirmation...

“[Science] works! Planes fly. Cars drive. Computers compute. If you base medicine on science, you cure people. If you base the design of planes on science, they fly. If you base the design of rockets on science, they reach the moon. It works...bitches.” - Richie D Da Illest
06-08-2015, 10:12 AM
Talk to some of the older Hmong men... It's likely you'll find some that had been in Laos during the time when the CIA was training them during the Viet Nam conflict... You could probably find some interesting stuff to write about there......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
06-08-2015, 10:20 AM
I'll reveal my story/beat: December 2015 marks the 40th anniversary of the Hmong being divided from the result of a war they were dragged into. How has the Hmong been influenced by their new homes and what has kept them together? I would travel through Asian writing about the personal stories of the Hmong while highlighting the differences grown from separation and celebrating the customs still consistent.

Onlinebiker, I'm impressed you know about the Hmong history!

[+] 1 user Likes HappyTiger's post
06-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Ban Vinai was a major Thai Hmong refugee camp during the Vietnam War. It's now been abandoned and overtaken by forestry. It's not too far from where I'm living right now. Maybe I'll travel up there for two days and get a story to pitch at a few publications...

[+] 1 user Likes HappyTiger's post
06-08-2015, 10:31 AM
(06-08-2015 10:20 AM)HappyTiger Wrote:  I'll reveal my story/beat: December 2015 marks the 40th anniversary of the Hmong being divided from the result of a war they were dragged into. How has the Hmong been influenced by their new homes and what has kept them together? I would travel through Asian writing about the personal stories of the Hmong while highlighting the differences grown from separation and celebrating the customs still consistent.

Actually it's more I know a bit about the guys from Langley....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
06-08-2015, 11:08 AM
(06-08-2015 10:31 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 10:20 AM)HappyTiger Wrote:  I'll reveal my story/beat: December 2015 marks the 40th anniversary of the Hmong being divided from the result of a war they were dragged into. How has the Hmong been influenced by their new homes and what has kept them together? I would travel through Asian writing about the personal stories of the Hmong while highlighting the differences grown from separation and celebrating the customs still consistent.

Actually it's more I know a bit about the guys from Langley....

Big Grin

Most people don't know a thing about the Hmong, maybe outside of "Gran Torino (2008)", which works in my favor. However, that movie highly misrepresents the Hmong and leaves a void to be filled. Even American-born Hmong lack the basic knowledge of their parents/grandparents struggle to survive the Vietnam War. Often times our parents and grandparents are reluctant to reveal what they endured. Can you blame them? To this day, there are still Hmongs the jungles of Laos escaping communist persecution. As a Hmong-American, I'm still trying to find the truth. What really happened? Why are the Hmong still persecuted?

This is just another layer of the Hmong experience...

06-08-2015, 11:44 AM
(06-08-2015 10:11 AM)HappyTiger Wrote:  That's the second intended point of my thread: where do I start? I have ideas for stories but it involves me leaving for China--that's something I can't afford right now. I have an idea for a local story but I won't be here for when it happens. I'll be in Bangkok at that time. Should I just write fluff for the meantime? Travel tips, food, etc. I know my heart won't be in it but maybe that's where I need to start. Maybe I already know what I need to do and I'm just crying for confirmation...

It's really good to get your foot in the door and build up some street cred. So, I would write anything and everything. Of course, it should interest you on some level--even though it might not be exactly the type of topic you would really like to write about. Also, consider starting a blog.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
06-08-2015, 11:44 AM

Sounds interesting. Would also make a great book! Thumbsup