Quarter life crisis?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2015, 12:16 PM
RE: Quarter life crisis?
(06-08-2015 09:05 AM)HappyTiger Wrote:  I'll get straight to it: I am not happy with my job.
There are many reasons why: my co-teacher is a senile old woman, I am a pawn of the school and I hate the lifestyle.
Everything else in my life is going well.
I want to be a freelance journalist.
I love freedom.
I have no journalism experience, aside from a college course (my only 4.0 in college).
I think I am a hotshot.
I have a particular angle and knowledge of my subject: the Hmong hill tribe.
I have no journalism experience.
I want to leave my job but I would be stranded.
I am 25.

Can anyone relate? Or am I just going crazy? All the other foreign teachers look so happy and I hate them for it.

Better to be going through this at 25 then at 40 when you're potentially married with several mouths to feed. But then again, I guess god will twerk it....oops werk it all out for you.

Start doing some writing that you can at least build up a resume with? Side work? Enough to get your foot in the door elsewhere maybe?

**Crickets** -- God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Tonechaser77's post
06-08-2015, 02:07 PM
Most larger libraries have a book called "The Publisher's Handbook" in the reference section. This tome will tell you each magazine/newspaper/publisher, the criteria for submissions, to whom to address your submission, etc. This information is probably available on the InterWeb, too, but it's great to have it all in one place. For any chance in getting an article accepted, pay attention to the details - you're not going to get your Hmong article published in Glamour, for instance, so don't bother sending it in.

Also pay attention to your manuscript. I see a couple typos in your posts Big Grin which won't make a good first impression.

And don't be offended when someone asks you to change something in your writing. They sign the check, they get to call the shots. When you're famous, you can tell them to take a flying leap. Until then, grit your teeth and play the game.

Signed,
Been there, done that in Educational Publishing

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
06-08-2015, 02:43 PM
Regarding the 1/4 life crisis, you have to get your feet wet. Are you going to live the rest of the 3/4 in an unhappy job with Ms. Senile? If you seek the change then starts taking the steps. I agree with a PP who said write a few articles and submit. See where it goes and what other experience you can gain. Your 4.0 sounds like a good start. Smartass
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
06-08-2015, 02:57 PM
I'd suggest that you try (while working at your regular job) writing some short articles and see how it goes, while at the same time working on a nonfiction book proposal. You have a focused area of interest/expertise and a plan, and with a couple of article publications, you might very well be able to convince a publisher to give you an advance to fund things while you work on your book.

It's probably not advisable to quit your day job until you have successfully marketed your writing, but while you're working you can still write short pieces and try to sell them, or use them to apply for a journalism job (however, this is competitive field and shrinking all the time).

Everything that happens to you is material; it's helpful to make something out of that while you're stuck in your current employment.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
07-08-2015, 08:26 AM
(06-08-2015 02:07 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Most larger libraries have a book called "The Publisher's Handbook" in the reference section. This tome will tell you each magazine/newspaper/publisher, the criteria for submissions, to whom to address your submission, etc. This information is probably available on the InterWeb, too, but it's great to have it all in one place. For any chance in getting an article accepted, pay attention to the details - you're not going to get your Hmong article published in Glamour, for instance, so don't bother sending it in.

Also pay attention to your manuscript. I see a couple typos in your posts Big Grin which won't make a good first impression.

And don't be offended when someone asks you to change something in your writing. They sign the check, they get to call the shots. When you're famous, you can tell them to take a flying leap. Until then, grit your teeth and play the game.

Signed,

Thank you.

Could you point out some of my grammatical errors? Although I studied English, it is a second language for me, and sometimes I can't catch my errors.

“[Science] works! Planes fly. Cars drive. Computers compute. If you base medicine on science, you cure people. If you base the design of planes on science, they fly. If you base the design of rockets on science, they reach the moon. It works...bitches.” - Richie D Da Illest
07-08-2015, 10:12 AM
(07-08-2015 08:26 AM)HappyTiger Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 02:07 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Most larger libraries have a book called "The Publisher's Handbook" in the reference section. This tome will tell you each magazine/newspaper/publisher, the criteria for submissions, to whom to address your submission, etc. This information is probably available on the InterWeb, too, but it's great to have it all in one place. For any chance in getting an article accepted, pay attention to the details - you're not going to get your Hmong article published in Glamour, for instance, so don't bother sending it in.

Signed,

Thank you.

Could you point out some of my grammatical errors? Although I studied English, it is a second language for me, and sometimes I can't catch my errors.

I'd be happy to help.

First: I had no idea English was your second language. You do extremely well - better than 95% of native English-speakers. I'm envious of your ability to read and write that well in a second language.

Second: I was speaking about typos, not grammar. In Post #5 you wrote "I would travel through Asian writing about..." It should be Asia, not Asian.

You do not seem to use the Oxford comma, which is pretty much the accepted publishing style. It should be:
I found a bug [comma] a comb [comma] and a pencil in my soup.
Not:
I found a bug [comma] a comb and a pencil in my soup.

Hint: Most publishers have their own Style Guide. Some are kept like state secrets and some are easily available. Always inquire if a Style Guide is available.

It's very difficult to give much feedback on posts, as they are generally informal and we all make typos and mistakes. If you'd like to post a couple paragraphs from any writing (paper, article) you have written, I could give you better feedback.

[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
07-08-2015, 12:35 PM
(07-08-2015 10:12 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 08:26 AM)HappyTiger Wrote:  Thank you.

I'd be happy to help.

First: I had no idea English was your second language. You do extremely well - better than 95% of native English-speakers. I'm envious of your ability to read and write that well in a second language.

Second: I was speaking about typos, not grammar. In Post #5 you wrote "I would travel through Asian writing about..." It should be Asia, not Asian.

You do not seem to use the Oxford comma, which is pretty much the accepted publishing style. It should be:
Not:

Hint: Most publishers have their own Style Guide. Some are kept like state secrets and some are easily available. Always inquire if a Style Guide is available.

It's very difficult to give much feedback on posts, as they are generally informal and we all make typos and mistakes. If you'd like to post a couple paragraphs from any writing (paper, article) you have written, I could give you better feedback.

You give me too much credit. As an American, I grew up speaking English, but Hmong was the primary language at home.

In regard to the "Asian" typo, it was from my phone's swype prompt. I noticed it after posting, but I was too lazy to fix it--lame excuse, I know.

As for commas, I use the AP style comma which dictates no comma before a conjunction in a simple series. I believe news articles follow either the AP or Chicago style? I brought my AP style reference book with me to Thailand so I'm sticking with that unless a certain publication tells me otherwise.

I'll admit I still have trouble with subject-verb agreement and mixing tenses.

I'm working on a story about President Obama's Clean Power Plan unveiling (for fun), so I will message you it when I decide to finish this whiskey.

Thanks for all the help. Your input, as a publisher, is invaluable.

“[Science] works! Planes fly. Cars drive. Computers compute. If you base medicine on science, you cure people. If you base the design of planes on science, they fly. If you base the design of rockets on science, they reach the moon. It works...bitches.” - Richie D Da Illest
07-08-2015, 01:02 PM
(07-08-2015 12:35 PM)HappyTiger Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 10:12 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I'd be happy to help.

Not:

You give me too much credit. As an American, I grew up speaking English, but Hmong was the primary language at home.

In regard to the "Asian" typo, it was from my phone's swype prompt. I noticed it after posting, but I was too lazy to fix it--lame excuse, I know.

As for commas, I use the AP style comma which dictates no comma before a conjunction in a simple series. I believe news articles follow either the AP or Chicago style? I brought my AP style reference book with me to Thailand so I'm sticking with that unless a certain publication tells me otherwise.

I'll admit I still have trouble with subject-verb agreement and mixing tenses.

I'm working on a story about President Obama's Clean Power Plan unveiling (for fun), so I will message you it when I decide to finish this whiskey.

Thanks for all the help. Your input, as a publisher, is invaluable.

The comma thing is why I suggested asking for a style guide. They're like opinions - everyone has one.

And I'm not a publisher, I am a publishee. Big Grin I'm a freelance writer and editor, mainly in educational publishing.

07-08-2015, 07:43 PM
(06-08-2015 10:11 AM)HappyTiger Wrote:  I have ideas for stories but it involves me leaving for China--that's something I can't afford right now.

Why can't you start on the story before you go to China and then flesh it out once you're there?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-08-2015, 08:59 PM
(06-08-2015 11:08 AM)HappyTiger Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 10:31 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Actually it's more I know a bit about the guys from Langley....

Big Grin

Most people don't know a thing about the Hmong, maybe outside of "Gran Torino (2008)", which works in my favor. However, that movie highly misrepresents the Hmong and leaves a void to be filled. Even American-born Hmong lack the basic knowledge of their parents/grandparents struggle to survive the Vietnam War. Often times our parents and grandparents are reluctant to reveal what they endured. Can you blame them? To this day, there are still Hmongs the jungles of Laos escaping communist persecution. As a Hmong-American, I'm still trying to find the truth. What really happened? Why are the Hmong still persecuted?

This is just another layer of the Hmong experience...

This sounds like a real good TV documentary to me.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post