Queen Elizabeth I .... hand written letter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Queen Elizabeth I .... hand written letter
Wow. I'm in internet history heaven today. I've come across a terrific web site from the British Library with all kinds of interesting stuff on it. There's a letter by Henry VIII, recipes for pancakes and all kinds of other stuff. There's the first page of the original Chaucer's, Canterbury Tales. I wish they had the whole thing but it's neat to see the first page which you can zoom in on.

Here's the letter by Elizabeth the first. She had nice handwriting.

http://www.bl.uk/learning/timeline/item102725.html

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
05-06-2015, 09:23 AM
RE: Queen Elizabeth I .... hand written letter
(12-05-2015 12:02 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Wow. I'm in internet history heaven today. I've come across a terrific web site from the British Library with all kinds of interesting stuff on it. There's a letter by Henry VIII, recipes for pancakes and all kinds of other stuff. There's the first page of the original Chaucer's, Canterbury Tales. I wish they had the whole thing but it's neat to see the first page which you can zoom in on.

It's kind of appropriate that you picked Elizabeth I as she was known for her remarkable and uncharacteristic (for the age) tolerance of non-believers ('atheism' hadn't been coined as a term at this time) this may have come from her tolerance of Catholicism and the need she felt to try to reunite the two religious groups which would have made up the vast majority of her 3-4 million population.

The first British black community was formed in Elizabethan England

First Black Community in Elizabethan England

The roots of what would become feminism began to take hold in Elizabethan England

Women in Elizabethan England

'Twas a time of enlightenment and change setting the direction English social attitude would take in the centuries that followed.

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam
05-06-2015, 10:20 AM
I think Elizabeth I had an affinity for exploration outside 'the norm' or beyond 'the known'. I think she always felt she was brought up as an outsider ... Henry certainly kept her at arm's length. She may have felt more in control championing ideas generally thought of as 'different'... I think she identified with 'different'.

She was a very interesting and powerful person who realized early on that her real power was in 'protection'.

A time machine has always been on my wish list. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
05-06-2015, 10:27 AM
(12-05-2015 12:02 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Wow. I'm in internet history heaven today. I've come across a terrific web site from the British Library with all kinds of interesting stuff on it. There's a letter by Henry VIII, recipes for pancakes and all kinds of other stuff. There's the first page of the original Chaucer's, Canterbury Tales. I wish they had the whole thing but it's neat to see the first page which you can zoom in on.

I suspect she dictated it to a scribe.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
05-06-2015, 10:34 AM
(05-06-2015 10:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ...

I was thinking the same, given that she had a reputation for being a dictator.

Drinking Beverage

05-06-2015, 11:04 AM
(05-06-2015 10:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 10:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ...

I was thinking the same, given that she had a reputation for being a dictator.

Drinking Beverage

But she was the virgin queen.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
05-06-2015, 11:50 AM
(05-06-2015 10:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

I believe it was written when she was about 18 or so and I think the handwriting has been verified as hers. Kings and Queens did write letters without dictating it. There are hand written letters of Henry VIII existing and some music he wrote, even poetry. I also find it funny that the queen consort was expected to make a few shirts for the king...hand sewn and all, and there are records of a few of Henry's shirts being made by his many wives over the years.

I read an interesting book on Elizabethan England recently, The Time Traveler's Guide to Elizabethan England by Ian Mortimer. It was fascinating.

Also read Inside the Wardrobe of Anne Boleyn by Barbara Parker Bell. There are pretty decent records of her dresses, jewelry knick-knacks and doo-dads that she was given or acquired somehow. I love reading stuff like that. It makes an historical person more real for me.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
05-06-2015, 01:28 PM
I like that stuff, too. There's a level of intimacy one only gets from detail.

One of the last 'details' I read about Henry VIII was after he died.

Morbidly obese and having just died of syphilis, they were carting his rotting, black, bloated body across the city to be interred. Under a really intense, hot sun on a sweltering summer day ... BOOM.

Yep. He popped. Exploded, really.

That's a memory, huh? Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
05-06-2015, 02:46 PM
(05-06-2015 01:28 PM)kim Wrote:  I like that stuff, too. There's a level of intimacy one only gets from detail.

One of the last 'details' I read about Henry VIII was after he died.

Morbidly obese and having just died of syphilis, they were carting his rotting, black, bloated body across the city to be interred. Under a really intense, hot sun on a sweltering summer day ... BOOM.

Yep. He popped. Exploded, really.

That's a memory, huh? Shy

OMG. That's quite an image.

You know, we live like kings and queens today. Indoor plumbing, all kinds of medications when we're sick, soft beds, washing machines, refrigerators, computers and all kinds of electrical gadgets. It's amazing to be living at this moment in history.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
05-06-2015, 04:35 PM
(05-06-2015 11:04 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 10:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I was thinking the same, given that she had a reputation for being a dictator.

Drinking Beverage

But she was the virgin queen.

Only officially as she never married. But not actually.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user