Queerer than we can suppose?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2013, 06:46 AM
Smile Queerer than we can suppose?
Hello everyone!

I'm a happy godless physicist and artist from Germany. I am on the quest to understand this crazy universe and therefore I try to improve my critical thinking skills. I try to rid my mind of assumptions, fallacies and other delusions so that maybe one day I will catch a glimpse of what this beautiful world really is. I studied Physics and I can't get enough knowledge about this queer universe. I find myself posing ever stranger questions about reality and I love to turn the world upside down in my mind and speculate about the nature of our world. I will not ever stop looking for questions and answers! I spend a lot of time on youtube, watching lectures, talks, documentaries, debates etc, and that is how I found this place Wink

I have been an atheist since I figured out the easter bunny wasn't real. I remember asking my mom: "Is god like the easter bunny?"
And she replied: "No, this is different!"
Well, I didn't buy it.
I went along with the whole church thing because that was what was the normal thing to do. I didn't even realize I was an atheist at this point. I thought it was normal to... doublethink... and that most if not all people only made themselves believe this to find comfort and were not seriously convinced of it.
I even had a confirmation and confirmation classes in my early teenage years. It was a liberal protestant church and people were really nice. One day the provost asked us why we thought that these days less and less people believed in god.
I thought that was an easy question, raised my hand and replied: "Because today things about this universe that could not be explained a couple of centuries ago can now be explained by science and we do not need gods anymore."
-awkward silence... Oops. But he liked my reply for some reason! Wink
That moment kinda stuck with me. And I think it was a turning point for me and together with my teenage rebel spirit I became openly atheist soon after that.
My parents took it quite well I guess. They tried to drag me to church a couple of times but I found a way that made them never try again. Once every church service they all stand up and speak this creed. So I decided it was most honest if I refused to stand up and speak. My parents were so ashamed that they never tried to get me to church again.
I still get the occasional attempt to convert me but nothing seriously annoying. Wink

Ok so far for my introduction Smile

Have a wonderful day!
Joh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Joh's post
03-04-2013, 07:16 AM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2013 11:32 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Queerer than we can suppose?
(03-04-2013 06:46 AM)Joh Wrote:  Hello everyone!

I'm a happy godless physicist and artist from Germany. I am on the quest to understand this crazy universe and therefore I try to improve my critical thinking skills. I try to rid my mind of assumptions, fallacies and other delusions so that maybe one day I will catch a glimpse of what this beautiful world really is. I studied Physics and I can't get enough knowledge about this queer universe. I find myself posing ever stranger questions about reality and I love to turn the world upside down in my mind and speculate about the nature of our world. I will not ever stop looking for questions and answers! I spend a lot of time on youtube, watching lectures, talks, documentaries, debates etc, and that is how I found this place Wink

I have been an atheist since I figured out the easter bunny wasn't real. I remember asking my mom: "Is god like the easter bunny?"
And she replied: "No, this is different!"
Well, I didn't buy it.
I went along with the whole church thing because that was what was the normal thing to do. I didn't even realize I was an atheist at this point. I thought it was normal to... doublethink... and that most if not all people only made themselves believe this to find comfort and were not seriously convinced of it.
I even had a confirmation and confirmation classes in my early teenage years. It was a liberal protestant church and people were really nice. One day the provost asked us why we thought that these days less and less people believed in god.
I thought that was an easy question, raised my hand and replied: "Because today things about this universe that could not be explained a couple of centuries ago can now be explained by science and we do not need gods anymore."
-awkward silence... Oops. But he liked my reply for some reason! Wink
That moment kinda stuck with me. And I think it was a turning point for me and together with my teenage rebel spirit I became openly atheist soon after that.
My parents took it quite well I guess. They tried to drag me to church a couple of times but I found a way that made them never try again. Once every church service they all stand up and speak this creed. So I decided it was most honest if I refused to stand up and speak. My parents were so ashamed that they never tried to get me to church again.
I still get the occasional attempt to convert me but nothing seriously annoying. Wink

Ok so far for my introduction Smile

Have a wonderful day!
Joh

I got news for ya. The Easter bunny DOES exist. There were 9 of them + me, and the ten of us went out dancing in rabbit outfits on Saturday night. Not only does the rabbit exist, but so does his entire family.
Welcome, BTW.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-04-2013, 07:29 AM
(03-04-2013 06:46 AM)Joh Wrote:  I studied Physics and I can't get enough knowledge about this queer universe. I find myself posing ever stranger questions about reality and I love to turn the world upside down in my mind and speculate about the nature of our world.

Welcome and what kind of questions?

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."- Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
03-04-2013, 07:46 AM
(03-04-2013 07:16 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I got news for ya. The Easter bunny DOES exist. There were 9 of them + me, and the ten of us went out dancing in rabbit outfits on Saturday nght. Not only does the rabbit exist, but so does his entire family.
Welcome, BTW.

omg, so maybe I was wrong about this god thing after all? Ohmy
Big Grin

(03-04-2013 07:29 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Welcome and what kind of questions?

Questions like: what is reality? what is time? I can stay up all light thinking about how the universe works. Insomnia is a bitch but it is also the source of some creative thoughts Wink I love the string theory, cosmology etc Smile
[+] 2 users Like Joh's post
03-04-2013, 07:53 AM
(03-04-2013 07:46 AM)Joh Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 07:29 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Welcome and what kind of questions?

Questions like: what is reality? what is time? I can stay up all light thinking about how the universe works. Insomnia is a bitch but it is also the source of some creative thoughts Wink I love the string theory, cosmology etc Smile

Your going to like it here. Go and take a look at the Science threads if you haven't already.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on a thread called "Argument for God" that is going on now and how we know whether things/concepts exist or not.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."- Mark Twain in Eruption
03-04-2013, 08:03 AM
You are a physicist. I was a biologist. We both are on wonderful ways of discovering secrets and reality the universe and humankind.

Welcome !

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 2 users Like HU.Junyuan's post
03-04-2013, 09:25 AM
(03-04-2013 07:53 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Your going to like it here. Go and take a look at the Science threads if you haven't already.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on a thread called "Argument for God" that is going on now and how we know whether things/concepts exist or not.

hehe nice thread and tons of things to write about this... I tried to keep it short LOL

(03-04-2013 08:03 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  You are a physicist. I was a biologist. We both are on wonderful ways of discovering secrets and reality the universe and humankind.
Welcome !

Thanks Smile hehe yep! Let's see where it gets us Big Grin
03-04-2013, 11:12 AM
(03-04-2013 07:46 AM)Joh Wrote:  omg, so maybe I was wrong about this god thing after all? Ohmy
Big Grin

Not a chance.
Smile

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Welcome to TTA!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
03-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Hey, welcome! You're a physicist, I'm a wannabe chemist. I'm only in 9th grade, but I plan to get at least a bachelors in Chemistry in college. Unlike most people on this forum, I was raised by atheist parents, so I can't really explain my conversion experience. (I guess I always stuck to the default position)

Anyways, get a bunch of sodium, and what do you get?

Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na

BATMAN

I've got 2 tulpas, Taunav and Eris. If you don't know what a tulpa is, read this.
http://community.tulpa.info/thread-kiahd...-to-tulpas
If Taunav has anything to say, he'll be speaking in []
If Eris has anything to say, she'll be speaking in {}
If you think I'm insane, I don't care
[+] 2 users Like My proboscis sucks's post