Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2010, 06:56 PM
RE: Question...
(30-12-2010 09:09 AM)The_observer Wrote:  Politely tell them that you respect their believes and tell them you ask nothing in return but theirs.

Probably the best advice, unless you are of a more passive agressive nature like me xD
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2010, 10:51 AM
RE: Question...
(29-12-2010 02:15 AM)d.James Wrote:  and religion is something we need to overcome come smack-dab in conflict with my desire to volunteer at homeless shelters, participate in family functions, etc.

If I wanted to help the homeless(something I do on occasion), and if it seemed like the charities in my area were predominantly religious, I'd give the religious charities a miss and get out there and help in what little way I could. If I wanted to take my desire to help others further, I'd consider starting my own secular or non-religious charity; similar to what the guys at are doing. Where family functions are concerned, why not try organising a regular family get-together that doesn't involve religion; perhaps a barbecue, holiday or trip to the cinema. Try taking a leading role.

Still, being atheist shouldn't prevent you from attending or participating in family events like Christmas. Just don't take part in the religious element of the event.
Quote this message in a reply