Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Question
For those of us who never believed but were raised in religious households why do you think religion never stuck? (Not that some of its effects didn't) just the belief in god(s)?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2014, 10:32 AM
RE: Question
Answer
...never got any

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
18-02-2014, 10:53 AM
It started off as "wait a minute, this morality is crap, why should I follow?" Then came deism and slowly opened the door to rationality.
18-02-2014, 01:05 PM
why didn't it 'stick' for you?

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
18-02-2014, 01:19 PM
For me, it was a combination of things.
1) I grew up and began thinking more for myself and accepting less what others said just because they said it.
2) I met a few homosexuals for the first time and it really bothered me that they were supposedly going to hell. Some were better people than most others I knew.
3) I learned a lot about psychology in college and began to understand how easy it is for people to believe in woo.
4) I simultaneously realized the influences of the various social, psychological, biological, and economic circumstances that people exist with - i.e., the lack of true free will - and couldn't understand how any god with the same knowledge could condemn people for the resulting "sins".
5) I lost the emotional need for religion that I had throughout my teen years. As I became more confident in myself and happier with life in general, my need for the crutch that is religion vanished.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
18-02-2014, 01:39 PM
I was alway skeptical on the whole god thing. I wanted to believe, but never got the answers that would get me past my doubt. Lots of questions, lot of bad answers, lots of doubt. One day I decided to attack the question from the opposite direction and that was it.
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
18-02-2014, 02:03 PM
I was raised Catholic. After the priest told me I would go to hell for masturbating, it really got me thinking. Why? I'm not allowed to have sex, but I'm also not allowed to release the pressure? Sounded awfully cruel and capricious of god to make my desires as they were, and then set the rules in opposition.

Then I started to understand just how misogynistic the religion was, and how utterly hypocritical. It got me thinking about various religions and how

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
18-02-2014, 02:11 PM
(18-02-2014 02:03 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I was raised Catholic. After the priest told me I would go to hell for masturbating, it really got me thinking. Why? I'm not allowed to have sex, but I'm also not allowed to release the pressure? Sounded awfully cruel and capricious of god to make my desires as they were, and then set the rules in opposition.

Then I started to understand just how misogynistic the religion was, and how utterly hypocritical. It got me thinking about various religions and how

Funny, I have been told by lots of catholics I was going to hell because I had a perminant surgical birth controll procedure.
18-02-2014, 02:31 PM
(18-02-2014 01:05 PM)Drich Wrote:  why didn't it 'stick' for you?

I suppose it didn't stick for me because (and this will seem odd) I grew up with an imaginary friend. I simply thought that when it was time to get rid of my imaginary friends god was a part of it. Nobody told me that God was an imaginary friend you're not supposed to grow out of. I did continue to try to believe for my mothers sake. No dice.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
18-02-2014, 02:48 PM
I always thought that the (catholic) stories, were just that, stories. And as I got a little older and saw the hypocritical way the priests and nuns acted, it was a no brainer to me. They really did hate me because of the fact that I wouldnt let them brainwash me, and they even kicked me out of the (grade) school because of it, which became almost a badge of honor during my high school years.

Guess I just wasnt stupid enough to swallow that shit, even then. Tho it seems that I became a good judge of human character at an early age. Wink

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.