Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2014, 04:26 PM
RE: Question
I honestly think some people just have the predisposition to be more skeptical of everything. In some sense I think that trust issues can play a huge role in it. I grew up with and still suffer from issues with trust. In this particular situation I think it turned out to be a good thing.

For me personally, as a kid I questioned EVERYTHING and it pissed adults off to no end. If I didn't understand why an answer was given to me, I asked why all the time. I think I was just skeptical by nature.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes realityfacade's post
18-02-2014, 04:34 PM
'Cause trying to believe, trying to get a response to a prayer was like talking to air.

Similarly, I could write anything here knowing (from experience) that the OP won't respond.

Therefore BQ = god?

18-02-2014, 04:56 PM
(18-02-2014 04:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  'Cause trying to believe, trying to get a response to a prayer was like talking to air.

Similarly, I could write anything here knowing (from experience) that the OP won't respond.

Therefore BQ = god?

Sorry keep looking not god
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-02-2014, 05:03 PM
I just really wanted to watch cartoons and church was interfering with that.

Also: it didn't make any sense.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
18-02-2014, 05:42 PM
Re: Question
Simply, I was never raised in a way that made religion something to fear nor made it something to fall back on.

It was just parables and moral tales to me as a kid. Nothing else.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-02-2014, 05:50 PM
(18-02-2014 10:29 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  For those of us who never believed but were raised in religious households why do you think religion never stuck? (Not that some of its effects didn't) just the belief in god(s)?

I think some people are just more prone to question and are disposed more to thinking rationally. I can remember at 7 years old sitting in the pew and thinking that this stuff doesn't make any sense. I was always getting scolded for asking too many questions. What did stick with me for a long time was the fear and the feelings that I should believe because everyone else seemed to.

I have a theory that very few actually do believe but go to church because it's expected. I always suspected the ones who sung the loudest and professed the most faith were the ones who didn't believe but I could be wrong.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
18-02-2014, 06:12 PM
I don't know if I never believed, I certainly was never very convinced by it and often thought it was seriously flawed.

I have actually asked my mother and my grandmother this question and I think there are a few reasons.

1. My mum was young when she had me so my grandmother mostly looked after me and she spent a lot of time educating me so I got a general intellectual head start ( I knew how to read before I went to school).
2. I was very very curious - as in genuinely I did things on purpose a lot, at first people thought I was being a 'shit' but I use to get upset and explain I was trying found something out.
3. My grandmother changed her views like underwear and never forced me to believe any one "thing".
4. By the age of 12 I was not only homeschooled but I was also at home helping look after my 4 other siblings, by 16 this would 6 other siblings. So I grew up very quickly because my mother insisted the children were my responsibility too. Which is also why I am having to take real highschool now at age 21 - so I can go to University.
5. I really didn't like being told I had been born wrong or broken, and that things like my monthly made me unclean and reminded us off of sin and anything along those lines.
18-02-2014, 06:35 PM
(18-02-2014 10:29 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  For those of us who never believed but were raised in religious households why do you think religion never stuck? (Not that some of its effects didn't) just the belief in god(s)?

I was raised in a religious family in a religious town in a religious state and yeah it never stuck. Why? Well for me I can honestly say I could remember seeing through the holes of religion for as long as I can remember. It never seemed logical to me, ever. I tried and tried but again the holes were there just there, always, glaring me in the face. I can remember even before I started kindergarten sitting in the pews and scratching my head and thinking to myself "are they serious, there is no way." I suppose it's just my personality, I remember one person telling me I was "immune to religion" which seems pretty fitting now that I have heard the term "the god virus" or "religion disease" floating around these days. I will say I tried my hardest to "catch" the sickness but my brain just wouldn't let me so I have just spent the better part of my life playing sick and acting like all the crap I was raised with stuck. I consider myself to have been born atheist I suppose, it is just the way my mind has always worked and my environment had no chance in hell of changing it I suppose.

http://iamtheclosetatheist.blogspot.com/