Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2014, 12:40 PM
RE: Question
(19-05-2014 10:09 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Can a circle be a square without being a contradiction?

No? Why?

Because that's how they're defined? Who decides how these things are defined?

Actually, you can have a square circle. I recommend the 1-metric, also known as the "taxi-cab" metric or the "Manhattan" metric.

(19-05-2014 10:19 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I am just asking a question. Trying to learn what you guys think about definitions of words.

So far I have been given: "common usage" and "dictionary".

What qualifies as "common usage"?

How does one determine what "common" is?

In a general sense, common usage means roughly "as used by a lot of people". It's possible for a bunch of people to use a word one way, and a different bunch to use it another way, in which case the word has multiple definitions.

Most producers of dictionaries attempt to determine common usage, including usage that is common only to specific regions, contexts, or cultures, as well as archaic usages that were once common but are now mostly obsolete. They add words to their products based on this examination of whether and how the word is being used.

I'm not really familiar with the methodology employed, but I believe it includes extensive examination of publications, recordings, and spoken word.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply