Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2016, 12:29 AM
Question
So I have a question.
Since I am new to the giving up religion.. Is it strange that I still talk about the bible?
I don't mean like preaching and spreading the message. Like the other day my dad was asking me some questions because our family church has turned on my uncle who was the preacher but stepped down then pursued divorce from his wife. His questions were just about how we are supposed to treat each other and I quoted the two new commandments. And what the bible says are circumstance for divorce.
Like.. I can talk to Christians or anyone. But I have given up the belief myself.
Maybe it's because that's who I am used to being? The supporter? Does that make me hypocritical or helpful?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
27-03-2016, 12:40 AM
RE: Question
Hug

Makes you helpful.

Smile
27-03-2016, 12:48 AM
(27-03-2016 12:40 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Hug

Makes you helpful.

Smile

That's what I was thinking about. I didn't push my beliefs on anyone before so I won't now. But I do have enough knowledge of the bible to assist a Christian with questions. I do not mind at all. Plus they don't have to know I'm going agnostic lol
27-03-2016, 08:18 AM
I read the Bible and read books on the Bible all the time. I read religious texts and books on religious texts from other cultures as well. I love history and culture. You can read the Bible as literature and not as a magical book. It's actually more interesting to read it that way, imo.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
27-03-2016, 08:33 AM
I don't think it is a problem for a couple of reasons.
Like Jenny said, you can look at it as literature so no biggie. I also think it is important to be able to show believers that you aren't some ignorant fool with respect to their book or beliefs. Also, it is not like you will be persecuted for reading it. It is not like their is a church of atheism/agnosticism that has a set of beliefs. Read what you want, who gives a shit. If it winds up making more sense to you, so be it.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
27-03-2016, 08:35 AM
Read Homer.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
27-03-2016, 08:39 AM
(27-03-2016 08:33 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I don't think it is a problem for a couple of reasons.
Like Jenny said, you can look at it as literature so no biggie. I also think it is important to be able to show believers that you aren't some ignorant fool with respect to their book or beliefs. Also, it is not like you will be persecuted for reading it. It is not like their is a church of atheism/agnosticism that has a set of beliefs. Read what you want, who gives a shit. If it winds up making more sense to you, so be it.

Agreed. There is no Atheist Handbook. Do what makes you happy. Define what it means to be an atheist for yourself.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
27-03-2016, 08:44 AM
If you need a change up, quote from any Marvel Comic book..............

They're just as valid as any religious text, and have better pictures................

Plus - they're collectible...........

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-03-2016, 08:46 AM
(27-03-2016 08:44 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If you need a change up, quote from any Marvel Comic book..............

They're just as valid as any religious text, and have better pictures................

Wink

No. Read Homer.
American's seem to lack the concentration it takes to read more than fucking comic book crap!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
27-03-2016, 08:55 AM
(27-03-2016 08:46 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(27-03-2016 08:44 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If you need a change up, quote from any Marvel Comic book..............

Wink

No. Read Homer.
American's seem to lack the concentration it takes to read more than fucking comic book crap!

You missed the point ---

they're just as valid as any religious text..........

Of course they're trash... But at least they're fun trash..............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.