Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2016, 09:37 AM
RE: Question
(27-03-2016 12:29 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  So I have a question.
Since I am new to the giving up religion.. Is it strange that I still talk about the bible?
I don't mean like preaching and spreading the message. Like the other day my dad was asking me some questions because our family church has turned on my uncle who was the preacher but stepped down then pursued divorce from his wife. His questions were just about how we are supposed to treat each other and I quoted the two new commandments. And what the bible says are circumstance for divorce.
Like.. I can talk to Christians or anyone. But I have given up the belief myself.
Maybe it's because that's who I am used to being? The supporter? Does that make me hypocritical or helpful?

Nothing wrong with that at all. I follow the teachings that were attributed to one perhaps mythical character known as Jesus. The Golden Rule and the Love the neighbor and all that stuff.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2016, 09:38 AM
i don't really study it but I do read it on my app from time to time.

And uhm I can't read the comics in my house in the same way lol.. They are all deadpool. It's not captain America up in here.
27-03-2016, 09:52 AM
(27-03-2016 08:46 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(27-03-2016 08:44 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If you need a change up, quote from any Marvel Comic book..............

They're just as valid as any religious text, and have better pictures................

Plus - they're collectible...........

Wink

No. Read Homer.
American's seem to lack the concentration it takes to read more than fucking comic book crap!

I've read Homer. Blush I'm an American. Confused

We're not all idiots, Banjo. Sleepy

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
27-03-2016, 12:25 PM
(27-03-2016 09:52 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  We're not all idiots, Banjo. Sleepy
I've read quite a bit more than most I know, too, dance.
That and since I know a lot in the comic book business, most don't know what goes on behind the scenes. There's a stereotype than anyone involved in it must be an idiot. If someone's not interested in talking to the ones in it, then that's how they'll always view them.

And I know. I'm a letterer and have been on layouts.
27-03-2016, 12:42 PM
(27-03-2016 08:46 AM)Banjo Wrote:  No. Read Homer.
American's seem to lack the concentration it takes to read more than fucking comic book crap!

Homer...yeah!

[Image: Homer11_1280.png]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
27-03-2016, 01:45 PM
(27-03-2016 12:25 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(27-03-2016 09:52 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  We're not all idiots, Banjo. Sleepy
I've read quite a bit more than most I know, too, dance.
That and since I know a lot in the comic book business, most don't know what goes on behind the scenes. There's a stereotype than anyone involved in it must be an idiot. If someone's not interested in talking to the ones in it, then that's how they'll always view them.

And I know. I'm a letterer and have been on layouts.

I like webcomics quite a lot and follow several. I'm amazed by the sheer effort involved in producing a single page.

OP, read your bible and don't feel bad. It's kinda handy. So much cultural stuff all in one place. It's like a codebook for understanding certain references that people make. Just like people quote Monty Python jokes and some people won't get them, same goes for Biblical references. Nice to be able to both make *and* understand those kind of references.

As much as I don't like a lot of the stuff in the Bible there are passages that I can call to mind instantly because they're burned into my brain. Stuff like "Now we see as through a glass, darkly, but then we shall see face to face" etc. Sure, Sanctus Paulus is talking about stupid stuff, but it's still a cool line to be able to chuck into a sentence at an appropriate point.

It's also useful for talking to Christians. There's a mindset that goes with being a Christian and a lot of it is built on crazy ideas. If you don't know the underlying crazy, the outwardly expressed crazy is that much more difficult to understand, make sense of, or refute (I only try to refute people if they try to evangelize me - that's my rule. Otherwise I leave 'em to their delusions. Life's too short for evangelism.)

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-03-2016, 04:24 PM
(27-03-2016 12:29 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  So I have a question.
Since I am new to the giving up religion.. Is it strange that I still talk about the bible?
I don't mean like preaching and spreading the message. Like the other day my dad was asking me some questions because our family church has turned on my uncle who was the preacher but stepped down then pursued divorce from his wife. His questions were just about how we are supposed to treat each other and I quoted the two new commandments. And what the bible says are circumstance for divorce.
Like.. I can talk to Christians or anyone. But I have given up the belief myself.
Maybe it's because that's who I am used to being? The supporter? Does that make me hypocritical or helpful?

I find myself talking about the Bible all the time and I get reactions like "The Bible actually says that?", especially with Christians, the more I knew about it the less I believed in it but I think it's definitely very helpful to let others know what is in their holy book, not just the nice fluffy stuff. There's also a lot of strange stories too, once you can start to read it like a collection of myths instead of real magical happenings it can become a lot more entertaining.

[Image: eacb1c489988039954b0109096423467.jpg]

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like SitaSky's post