Question! :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2016, 07:26 PM
Question! :)
So in a tiny little town that half of my mothers family lives in.. Students are preparing to graduate from high school. Due to weather and whatnot they have had to relocate graduation. This graduation will now be held in a church. I for sure thought this town was strictly Christian but it does seem that some people are not ok with a graduation in a church.
My question is.. Would you as atheists or non believers be ok with having graduation in a church?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2016, 07:35 PM
RE: Question! :)
I wouldn't care as long as there was no praying involved. It's just a decent size building.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
18-05-2016, 07:39 PM
i didnt give a shit where my graduation was, as long as it got me out of high school.
18-05-2016, 07:58 PM
From what I understand a student was asked to sing hymns..
One girl started a Facebook post telling people to stop complaining because some parents are accepting diplomas doe their kids who passed and would just be happy to have their kid there and to be grateful your child is Alive. Others are commenting saying "maybe these people should ask Jesus to come into their hearts while they are there"
They are being snarky towards the people who don't want to do it at the church.
18-05-2016, 08:02 PM
(18-05-2016 07:26 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  So in a tiny little town that half of my mothers family lives in.. Students are preparing to graduate from high school. Due to weather and whatnot they have had to relocate graduation. This graduation will now be held in a church. I for sure thought this town was strictly Christian but it does seem that some people are not ok with a graduation in a church.
My question is.. Would you as atheists or non believers be ok with having graduation in a church?

My graduation was in a campus church. It was completely secular. The school just appropriated it. Since they like own it and whatnot. .... I think I might have a photo .... gimme a sec.

#sigh
18-05-2016, 08:02 PM
(18-05-2016 07:26 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  So in a tiny little town that half of my mothers family lives in.. Students are preparing to graduate from high school. Due to weather and whatnot they have had to relocate graduation. This graduation will now be held in a church. I for sure thought this town was strictly Christian but it does seem that some people are not ok with a graduation in a church.

No. I'm pissed as it is that elections in my district are held in a church. High school graduations are the same. They're publicly funded programs and should never enter a house of worship.

When I got to vote, they try to cover obvious Christian phrases and iconography with sheets, but I'm still ticked off by the fact that I have to enter a church to vote.
18-05-2016, 08:11 PM
(18-05-2016 08:02 PM)Aliza Wrote:  

No. I'm pissed as it is that elections in my district are held in a church. High school graduations are the same. They're publicly funded programs and should never enter a house of worship.

When I got to vote, they try to cover obvious Christian phrases and iconography with sheets, but I'm still ticked off by the fact that I have to enter a church to vote.

As far as voting.. Semi off topic. Why can't you have an American flag on your clothes? If you are voting in America?
Like my dad is a truck driver and their uniform has a flag on the sleeve. They turn these people away because of the flag.. Of the country... You are voting in.

Off topic but that bothers me.
I'm happy we vote in court houses and schools otherwise. Well in my town I don't know about how things run in Alabama
18-05-2016, 08:16 PM

That's pretty awful, politics and religion shouldn't mix but unfortunately they often do. I have to go to a local firehouse to vote, it should be in public buildings like the station or schools.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
18-05-2016, 08:19 PM
It wouldn't bother me going to a graduation in a church, I would just focus on the students and hope no one starts praying or singing hymns, I'd just have to sit there silent and uncomfortable. We shouldn't mix public education with religion so as long as it's kept secular it should be fine. My graduation was pretty big, it was in a local sports arena. A church would've been too small but for a religious town with less than 100 or 200 students it might be more convenient.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
19-05-2016, 05:17 AM

Funny, in my town I have to enter a temple (if that's the appropriate term) to vote. It doesn't bother me, and I don't see it as an endorsement of religion. There's a big parking lot at the temple, so it reduces the chance that someone will try to vote and not be able to find parking and therefore decide not to. We used to have our polling locations at schools until a senior citizen drove over an elementary school kid.

As long as the program was secular, a graduation in a church wouldn't be a problem for me. I presume that the location is chosen purely for the logistics of auditorium size and parking.