Question.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2012, 04:25 PM
RE: Question.....
Hey, Kai.

Quote:My questions is this: Doesn't professing to be an Atheist require the
same kind of faith that professing to be a Christian require? You are
professing a belief in something you have never seen and cannot prove.

There's very few Atheists that would agree with that for reasons that people have outlined above.

My take is this.

If an Atheist simply lacks a belief in God, then no, that's not really faith.

However, if an Atheist believes that there is no God, then yes, that is a belief that relies on faith.

I anticipate a chorus of "nuh uh" to follow this post, but I accept that. I understand where they come from. But I can understand their position and have my own.

I just thought of a quick example. People have postulated that the Jovian moon Europa, beneath its thick surface ice, may hold an ocean and that life might exist in that ocean. If someone says, "Gee whillickers, there's life on Europa, there's just gotta be," then they're believing that it's true without any evidence. If someone says, "That's retarded, of course there isn't and what a fanciful notion it is to begin with," then that person believes that it's not true without any evidence. I myself think that it would be neat, I think it's within the realm of the possible, the possibility excites me, but I don't know, and I won't know until we find that ocean and search it exhaustively.

If someone believes that something is true or false without any evidence, then they have a belief, backed by faith.

This of course doesn't apply to true Agnostics because they don't believe one way or the other, nor does it apply to those Atheists who simply lack a belief.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post
11-05-2012, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 05:13 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-05-2012 04:25 PM)Ghost Wrote:  If someone believes that something is true or false without any evidence, then they have a belief, backed by faith.

The epistemologist in Girly won't allow enough faith in evidence for making the call between true or false. The concepts of true and false themselves should be limited to academic discourse. I just see evidence as the currently most credible source, nothing more, nothing less. Ain't like it's God's word or something. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-05-2012, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 04:49 PM by houseofcantor.)
(11-05-2012 02:46 PM)kim Wrote:  
(11-05-2012 02:38 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  String theory, anybody? Tongue
Faith and desire ... are very different things. Thumbsup
For you, maybe, Tongue

My faith and desire focus on that dang Gwynnies - even though I know that girl kill me dead. Big Grin
(11-05-2012 03:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Wow. Such a process we have witnessed !
From an arrogant Christian, evolving, (heh heh) to an arrogant Veridican, and now to a (puppy looking) yet still arrogant "metaphysician".

Gotta be arrogant to be a prophet, it's a job requirement. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-05-2012, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 06:00 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-05-2012 04:45 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Gotta be arrogant to be a prophet, it's a job requirement. Tongue

Nah, that ain't right. It's the opposite. Gotta have transferred your ego to the other to be a prophet. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
11-05-2012, 06:11 PM
That's why I call myself a free thinker. It's easier to explain, and no one thinks it's a belief of some sort.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-05-2012, 03:21 AM

(11-05-2012 03:26 PM)kim Wrote:  Say what you will about Veridicanism my friends, at least it's an ethos. Wink

Thank you.

(11-05-2012 04:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That seems enough to me to call you Brother. Smile

Then that's definitely enough. Yes
Quote this message in a reply