Question #1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Question #1
One way that I like to get to know myself or anyone in my life is to ask open ended questions, I find myself doing this often, Just posting a question on my Journal or my facebook page or even just asking myself a question every morning and looking for the answer through the day and then when I do my evening contemplation I answer it.
Id love to try that here so I can get to know everyone here and maybe meet some intellectually stimulating people or who knows, maybe even a friend. Smile
so....
1. How did you friends, family, co workers, etc react when you first came out to them as an Atheist (or insert your flavor of non theism here)
For me, I first realized I was an atheist when I was 25, that was back in 1997, I told my mom and stepdad who freaked out and started praying-they were both Christians, mom was up until her death last year, my stepdad is an atheist now. My aunt stopped talking to me altogether feeling that I had betrayed the family and my grandmother just avoided the subject altogether. I come out ever so often to a new group of people but lately their reactions have been mild, I am on facebook with a group of people I work with and even though I have my religious views listed, most have not read it I dont think...Not sure of their future reactions, we'll see!
You?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2012, 04:16 PM
RE: Question #1
The family is treating me like I'm dead.

My friends don't give a shit about me being an atheist; they are friends with me because of me and I because of them.

Coworkers don't know. Don't need to know.

NEXT QUESTION!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
24-11-2012, 04:30 PM
(24-11-2012 04:16 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  The family is treating me like I'm dead.

My friends don't give a shit about me being an atheist; they are friends with me because of me and I because of them.

Coworkers don't know. Don't need to know.

NEXT QUESTION!

Sorry about your family!
Agree on the co-workers.
Ive got so many questions in my head I can post, some might get some replies, some are controversial and should get some interesting replies! hehe. oh wait, I mean Evil_monster Oh wait, we had that thread already, where is my halo? Angel ah thats better
24-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Always good to get some Halo in. At. Any. Time.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
24-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Pretty much always been an atheist, and never had to "come out", but I'll do better on the next question, I promise!

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
24-11-2012, 10:36 PM
(24-11-2012 04:10 PM)Irishdize Wrote:  1. How did you friends, family, co workers, etc react when you first came out to them as an Atheist (or insert your flavor of non theism here)
Disbelief. It's not that they don't believe I'm an atheist -- that's a little hard -- but they started to re-write history and thought I had been an atheist all along. I was a bible-believing evangelical Christian for about 20 years, and not subtle about it. But they *had* to believe that I had never been a Christian, otherwise they might think it could happen to them.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
24-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Not applicable.

25-11-2012, 12:09 AM
(24-11-2012 11:41 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Not applicable.
This.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
25-11-2012, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2012 01:42 AM by Dark Light.)
Other than my wife my family doesn't know because I want to avoid the whole mess you described. Plus, I don't want to give my family unwarranted heartache about the future of my immortal soul. My oldest friends have known from about the age of thirteen so it's just not a topic for discussion, that horse is dead. Of my co-workers/newer friends/students it rarely becomes and issue, but when it does it's really the same ole' song and dance that I am quite sure you all are accustomed too. A few folks think I'm stupid for my lack of belief, a few think I just haven't been listening to Jesus, but few are still shocked. There have been a few people that were genuinely surprised that I was such a good person but wasn't a Christian, and a few Turks I knew when on the topic of religion (which was a very hot issue to be avoided in Afghanistan) who said something like "Well, at least we all worship the same God", to which I replied something to the effect of "I don't have a God" which earned me some puzzling, and shocked faces, and follow up questions to make sure that their grasp of English didn't fail them. Overall though, it's not a big deal...

25-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Friends... some know, some don't. I don't hide it but I haven't gone out of my way to tell them.

Parents - told them 2 years ago. It was a high stress time for the family so it kinda got lost in amongst all the other shit. Mama was pretty anti at first - but after a while she seems to have come around to the idea that I'm not about to head off and murder people for shits and giggles now that the brakes are off.