Question #1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2012, 12:50 AM
RE: Question #1
(24-11-2012 04:10 PM)Irishdize Wrote:  One way that I like to get to know myself or anyone in my life is to ask open ended questions, I find myself doing this often, Just posting a question on my Journal or my facebook page or even just asking myself a question every morning and looking for the answer through the day and then when I do my evening contemplation I answer it.
Id love to try that here so I can get to know everyone here and maybe meet some intellectually stimulating people or who knows, maybe even a friend. Smile
so....
1. How did you friends, family, co workers, etc react when you first came out to them as an Atheist (or insert your flavor of non theism here)
For me, I first realized I was an atheist when I was 25, that was back in 1997, I told my mom and stepdad who freaked out and started praying-they were both Christians, mom was up until her death last year, my stepdad is an atheist now. My aunt stopped talking to me altogether feeling that I had betrayed the family and my grandmother just avoided the subject altogether. I come out ever so often to a new group of people but lately their reactions have been mild, I am on facebook with a group of people I work with and even though I have my religious views listed, most have not read it I dont think...Not sure of their future reactions, we'll see!
You?
Well, for me, most of my family died off before I ever had the chance to tell them that I thought God was a dick. Any of my friends that I do have today are atheists anyhow so they are cool with it.
Now days I enjoy the shock and awe as I tell people I encounter frequently that I think God is a waste of the human imagination.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ddrew's post
25-11-2012, 12:51 AM
(25-11-2012 12:50 AM)ddrew Wrote:  I think God is a waste of the human imagination.

PREACH it brother!
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-11-2012, 12:53 AM
(24-11-2012 10:36 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(24-11-2012 04:10 PM)Irishdize Wrote:  1. How did you friends, family, co workers, etc react when you first came out to them as an Atheist (or insert your flavor of non theism here)
Disbelief. It's not that they don't believe I'm an atheist -- that's a little hard -- but they started to re-write history and thought I had been an atheist all along. I was a bible-believing evangelical Christian for about 20 years, and not subtle about it. But they *had* to believe that I had never been a Christian, otherwise they might think it could happen to them.

Right, Ive heard it said that a true Christian would never have left so you must not have been a real believer, LOL, so I understand.
[+] 1 user Likes Irishdize's post
25-11-2012, 03:42 AM
(24-11-2012 04:10 PM)Irishdize Wrote:  1. How did you friends, family, co workers, etc react when you first came out to them as an Atheist
Frankly, I think you're all posing the question in the wrong terms : you're not "coming out" as an Atheist, in the same way that you "come out" as being Gay. We're all born without any religious beliefs, and then have them taught to us by our parents etc.

So when you tell your family that you're an Atheist, what you're really saying is that you don't believe any of the religious crap that they've been feeding you since birth, which is effectively accusing them of being lying manipulators. This in turn infers a breach of trust between the child-parent, implying that there could also be a suspision they have lied to you and manipulated you on other subjects as well.

It is also an accusation that they themselves are stupid for having swallowed the whole story unquestioningly from their parents, and so on.

A family's negative reaction to an "admission" of Atheism is really only them being incapable of confronting their own shortcomings in having raised their child in a lie perpetrated through generations.
[+] 1 user Likes Idlecuriosity's post
25-11-2012, 03:48 AM
(24-11-2012 04:16 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  The family is treating me like I'm dead.
I'm sorry to hear that. That's really sad.
25-11-2012, 04:27 AM
It is roughly equivalent to 'coming out' as gay, in the sense that people fear to tell the truth about themselves *because* they're worried about the reaction - exactly the same reason coming out as gay is difficult.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-11-2012, 12:06 PM
(25-11-2012 03:42 AM)Idlecuriosity Wrote:  
(24-11-2012 04:10 PM)Irishdize Wrote:  1. How did you friends, family, co workers, etc react when you first came out to them as an Atheist
Frankly, I think you're all posing the question in the wrong terms : you're not "coming out" as an Atheist, in the same way that you "come out" as being Gay. We're all born without any religious beliefs, and then have them taught to us by our parents etc.

So when you tell your family that you're an Atheist, what you're really saying is that you don't believe any of the religious crap that they've been feeding you since birth, which is effectively accusing them of being lying manipulators. This in turn infers a breach of trust between the child-parent, implying that there could also be a suspision they have lied to you and manipulated you on other subjects as well.

It is also an accusation that they themselves are stupid for having swallowed the whole story unquestioningly from their parents, and so on.

A family's negative reaction to an "admission" of Atheism is really only them being incapable of confronting their own shortcomings in having raised their child in a lie perpetrated through generations.
This only makes sense in the context of a person having never been anything but atheist. There are some of us who were religious in between birth and the present.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2012, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2012 01:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
(25-11-2012 12:50 AM)ddrew Wrote:  Now days I enjoy the shock and awe as I tell people I encounter frequently that I think God is a waste of the human imagination.

That is an excellent characterization, Dr. Drew. Thumbsup

(24-11-2012 04:10 PM)Irishdize Wrote:  1. How did you friends, family, co workers, etc react when you first came out to them as an Atheist (or insert your flavor of non theism here) ...
You?

I never came out as an atheist and still only use the term when I just want to cut off discussion with someone once I realize they think dualism is a Ford F-350 truck with 4 back tires. Was studying metaphysics at Uni some 30 odd years ago now and quickly realized that there was no imaginable, let alone plausible, let alone tenable mechanism of action for a mind/body distinction. Dualism is rationally indefensible. I just told them "I see no way some promise of a postmortem preservation of identity is anything but self-aggrandizing bullshit." Grandpa just looked up from his paper and went back to his crossword puzzle. Gramma made sure Grandpa wasn't looking and winked at me. Mom's still praying for my worthless soul. I still don't like the term atheism 'cause it linguistically and artificially inflates its fanciful and foolish root "theism" to a serious semantics and metaphysics. Which it isn't.

This is not my signature.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-11-2012, 01:17 PM
(25-11-2012 12:06 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  [quote='Idlecuriosity' pid='208618' dateline='1353836577']
This only makes sense in the context of a person having never been anything but atheist. There are some of us who were religious in between birth and the present.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Nobody has a spontaneous religious belief at birth, therefore a person's beliefs are taught to them. By announcing that you are an Atheist, that must be construed as a rejection of what you have been taught, therefore on some level as a criticism of the people that taught you those beliefs.
["you" in generic terms, not you personally, of course].
25-11-2012, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2012 09:49 PM by GirlyMan.)
(25-11-2012 01:17 PM)Idlecuriosity Wrote:  I'm not sure I understand your point. Nobody has a spontaneous religious belief at birth, therefore a person's beliefs are taught to them. By announcing that you are an Atheist, that must be construed as a rejection of what you have been taught, therefore on some level as a criticism of the people that taught you those beliefs.
["you" in generic terms, not you personally, of course].

the fuck I'm yapping, .... the fuck you taikin', duck and cover bitches.,

This is not my signature.