Question #2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Question #2
What do you consider to be Sacred and is Sacred the right word, what is the right word and isnt that just semantics? Smile
My answer is that I hold Nature as Sacred, of course this is partly because of how I was raised, Witches hold Nature/The Universe to be The Goddess and she is seen as Holy and Divine so of course I do see Nature as having Sacred qualities. I still look out at the moon drifting through the trees or through the clouds and feel awe and inspiration, I am encouraged and Probably one of the reasons I still call myself a Witch at times.
My word is also sacred, I never make promises that I do not keep, marriage is also sacred to me, I would never cheat on a mate and I would never sleep if single with a married person. I suppose I could use the word Important or valuable. Sacred is just the word I was raised to use, Sacred to me means HIGHLY valued or Important so to me it might just be a lesson in semantics.
You?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2012, 11:38 AM
RE: Question #2
I hold nothing to be "sacred" since any definition of that word as I understand it means associating "sacred" with God.

There are things I value. I value people, especially family, but I value all my relationships will all the people in my life, even those who are barely in it like a coworker I rarely see. I cherish those relationships and nurture them.

I hold myself to the standard that in all things, I first and foremost make sure that every person with whom I interact comes away from that interaction glad that I was a part of their day, or at the very least, that the opposite never happens - that their interaction with me was not a negative experience.

Of course, if they want to act like a schmuck and create a problem, well, then all bets are off, but as long as they're playing by the golden rule, I'll live by my standard and make sure I'm as positive an experience, every time, as I can be.

When I die, I don't want a bunch of pretenders at my funeral, pretending they really cared about me. I want just a small circle of good friends honestly reminiscing about how much they appreciated having me in their life. I'll be dead so I won't care anymore, but right now I care to be that kind of person.

That's what I value the most. It's not "sacred", but it is of great importance to me.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
29-11-2012, 02:00 PM
(29-11-2012 11:38 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I hold nothing to be "sacred" since any definition of that word as I understand it means associating "sacred" with God.

There are things I value. I value people, especially family, but I value all my relationships will all the people in my life, even those who are barely in it like a coworker I rarely see. I cherish those relationships and nurture them.

I hold myself to the standard that in all things, I first and foremost make sure that every person with whom I interact comes away from that interaction glad that I was a part of their day, or at the very least, that the opposite never happens - that their interaction with me was not a negative experience.

Of course, if they want to act like a schmuck and create a problem, well, then all bets are off, but as long as they're playing by the golden rule, I'll live by my standard and make sure I'm as positive an experience, every time, as I can be.

When I die, I don't want a bunch of pretenders at my funeral, pretending they really cared about me. I want just a small circle of good friends honestly reminiscing about how much they appreciated having me in their life. I'll be dead so I won't care anymore, but right now I care to be that kind of person.

That's what I value the most. It's not "sacred", but it is of great importance to me.

Those who have things that are Sacred to them simply means they place a high value on it, I have to wonder if its just semantics using different words to describe nearly the same thing. I place value on the inner workings of the people I care about, those in my circle of 9, These people are each important to me in their own way...
Nature to, the feel good parts of it at least, the ocean, the woods, the stars....Sacred to me means something we value highly that we should respect, protect, preserve.
29-11-2012, 02:27 PM
It cannot be "just semantics". Language exists for a reason: communication between two or more people. If we all make up our own definitions of the words we use to communicate, nobody will ever understand each other - we might as well just grunt and growl.

Semantics is the study of meaning. Meaning is exactly what language is all about.

Yeah, I get it. I know what you meant. You were quite clear that you were deliberately and knowingly misusing the word "sacred".

But I emphatically disagree with any notion that it's OK for the speaker/writer to freely misuse words and leave it up to the listener/reader to interpret the originator's intent. Even if we use words that are "close enough" that we can correctly infer the intent, or even if we surround our misused word with a paragraph explaining exactly how we're misusing it, it's just being lazy or sloppy. Or both.

We can do better than that.

I strongly suggest that it is incumbent upon the speaker/writer to communicate clearly and accurately; it should never be upon the listener/reader to guess or interpret the intended meaning.

"Sacred" means "deserving of religious veneration". The word has a fairly clear definition. Using it for other meanings as long as it's close enough that we can expect our audience to correctly infer our intent is just wrong. It's your communication; find a better word that means what you really wanted to say. Cherished, revered, venerated, even important, are all words you could have used instead of sacred, and all would have been more accurate to what you wanted to say.

I'm not trying to pick on you.

I just strongly disagree that it's OK misuse words and then justify it by saying "it's just semantics".

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 3 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
29-11-2012, 02:33 PM
sacred |ˈsākrid|

adjective

connected with God (or the gods) or dedicated to a religious purpose and so deserving veneration: sacred rites | the site at Eleusis is sacred to Demeter.

• religious rather than secular: sacred music.

• (of writing or text) embodying the laws or doctrines of a religion: a sacred Hindu text.

regarded with great respect and reverence by a particular religion, group, or individual: an animal sacred to Mexican culture.

• sacrosanct: to a police officer nothing is sacred.

DERIVATIVES

sacredly adverb,

sacredness noun

ORIGIN late Middle English: past participle of archaic sacre ‘consecrate,’ from Old French sacrer, from Latin sacrare, from sacer, sacr- ‘holy.’

I stay away from the word altogether because of the religious connotations. But it's perfectly proper to use for a personal, non-religious matter, too. Technically.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
29-11-2012, 02:36 PM
I misuse the word "sacred" way too much. For example, I often refer to food as sacred, as in, don't waste it.

I gotta stop that. Aseptic is right about semantics. Word meanings DO matter.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
29-11-2012, 02:41 PM
(29-11-2012 02:33 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  ...
connected with God (or the gods) or dedicated to a religious purpose and so deserving veneration

My goddesses are sacred.

I venerate them as often as they let me.

Angel

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-11-2012, 02:42 PM
(29-11-2012 02:00 PM)Irishdize Wrote:  Sacred to me means something we value highly that we should respect, protect, preserve.
The problem is that the word is almost exclusively being used in a religious context. It's similar to how you use the term "magic" in a way that has little to do with it's common usage. My point is that if you want to communicate a certain message, you shouldn't make up your own definitions, because that causes nothing but confusion. If you want us to tell you what things are important to us, why not just ask that? Why use a term that has mostly religious connotations?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
29-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Nah I'm with Irish. Correct usage of the word.

I hold ... some things sacred. Mostly personal shit. Things that make me feel a certain way. Like when I think about my friend who died. Going camping. Working hard and finally succeeding. Knowing that the work was good work...
29-11-2012, 03:09 PM
This seems somewhat more of a question befitting Philosophy, but I'll answer anyway.

Do I hold anything sacred? Short hand is; No, I do not due to both the religious connotations of the word and even in saying that it means "something we value highly that we should respect, protect, preserve" I still hold nothing to such a degree (aside from my own possessions, which I protect because they are mine).

At one stage in my life I held human life as sacred, but I have come to realize people die and will kill either other because our species is incredibly stupid, so that belief was voided fairly quickly.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post