Question #2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2012, 04:40 AM
RE: Question #2
(29-11-2012 03:09 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  This seems somewhat more of a question befitting Philosophy, but I'll answer anyway.

Do I hold anything sacred? Short hand is; No, I do not due to both the religious connotations of the word and even in saying that it means "something we value highly that we should respect, protect, preserve" I still hold nothing to such a degree (aside from my own possessions, which I protect because they are mine).

At one stage in my life I held human life as sacred, but I have come to realize people die and will kill either other because our species is incredibly stupid, so that belief was voided fairly quickly.
I hold my own life as sacred-Meaning deserving of veneration and respect because of course I am my own God according to my religious beliefs but other than that I dont consider any strangers lives to have importance, though I do hold my cat's life as sacred and those in my circle of 9. Hmm, have to think more about this word Sacred
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2012, 04:46 AM
(29-11-2012 03:11 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(29-11-2012 02:33 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  sacred |ˈsākrid|

adjective

connected with God (or the gods) or dedicated to a religious purpose and so deserving veneration: sacred rites | the site at Eleusis is sacred to Demeter.

• religious rather than secular: sacred music.

• (of writing or text) embodying the laws or doctrines of a religion: a sacred Hindu text.

regarded with great respect and reverence by a particular religion, group, or individual: an animal sacred to Mexican culture.

• sacrosanct: to a police officer nothing is sacred.

DERIVATIVES

sacredly adverb,

sacredness noun

ORIGIN late Middle English: past participle of archaic sacre ‘consecrate,’ from Old French sacrer, from Latin sacrare, from sacer, sacr- ‘holy.’

I stay away from the word altogether because of the religious connotations. But it's perfectly proper to use for a personal, non-religious matter, too. Technically.
Interesting.

Some people look at those definitions and see that fourth definition, the one in red, which lists three objects, the first of which is religion, and they draw the conclusion that they can use this word in a completely non-religious context and everyone who hears or reads their usage will, unfailingly, discern the non-religious usage?

I'm not saying the OP did that - he went out of his way to clarify what his usage was.

Technically it can be used this way. Technically the 4th definition is 2/3 non-religious. Technically I agree with Thinkerbelle.

Realistically, everyone is going to see this word in a religious context; using it as a non-religious word will cause misunderstandings that are the fault of the person who chose the word, not the fault of the person who misunderstood the intent.

Logically, that's a bad idea and defeats the purpose of communication.

I prefer realism and logic to technicalities. Especially when reality provides perfectly logical alternatives that don't rely on technicalities to avoid poor communication.

Back in Question #1 I said I love to ask people questions to get provacative conversations going and that I had this book of questions I read to myself and I answer the questions in the book to get to know myself better, sort of self therapy I suppose, I am using that book here to get conversations going and to get to know people here and build some relationships which is one of my goals so what I am saying is that I am asking the questions from the book in the exact way the book asks them-using whatever words the book uses. I know of course the reaction such a word might generate and I am ok with that, I like to discuss, debate, learn, etc....
Tongue You have to admit every thread I have started or posted in has had some lively chats! Thumbsup
30-11-2012, 05:03 AM
(30-11-2012 04:40 AM)Irishdize Wrote:  
(29-11-2012 03:09 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  This seems somewhat more of a question befitting Philosophy, but I'll answer anyway.

Do I hold anything sacred? Short hand is; No, I do not due to both the religious connotations of the word and even in saying that it means "something we value highly that we should respect, protect, preserve" I still hold nothing to such a degree (aside from my own possessions, which I protect because they are mine).

At one stage in my life I held human life as sacred, but I have come to realize people die and will kill either other because our species is incredibly stupid, so that belief was voided fairly quickly.
I hold my own life as sacred-Meaning deserving of veneration and respect because of course I am my own God according to my religious beliefs but other than that I dont consider any strangers lives to have importance, though I do hold my cat's life as sacred and those in my circle of 9. Hmm, have to think more about this word Sacred
Interesting perspective, but that raises the ponderance: Why does your life take precedence over those of others? Simply because you consider yourself to be your own god is hardly a good justification; it is simply arrogant to assume your life superior to anybody else.

Though it does interest me that you put the life of a cat above that of other humans apparently.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
30-11-2012, 07:24 AM
(29-11-2012 06:52 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Yay! Dictionary wars! Yet again!

How do people here feel about The Prime Directive: the species must survive. Failing that, some form of life must survive.

I suppose I hold this to be....er....important. Wink

There is no Prime Directive; there is no 'must'.

Life is without a goal, evolution does not have a direction.

However, it would be a damn shame if we were snuffed out.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-11-2012, 07:49 AM
(30-11-2012 07:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-11-2012 06:52 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Yay! Dictionary wars! Yet again!

How do people here feel about The Prime Directive: the species must survive. Failing that, some form of life must survive.

I suppose I hold this to be....er....important. Wink

There is no Prime Directive; there is no 'must'.

Apart from all those fuckers who are the reason you've got a gun right? Tongue
30-11-2012, 08:15 AM
(30-11-2012 07:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(30-11-2012 07:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  There is no Prime Directive; there is no 'must'.

Apart from all those fuckers who are the reason you've got a gun right? Tongue

That's just culling the herd. Survival of the fittest and all that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-11-2012, 12:29 PM
(30-11-2012 05:03 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(30-11-2012 04:40 AM)Irishdize Wrote:  I hold my own life as sacred-Meaning deserving of veneration and respect because of course I am my own God according to my religious beliefs but other than that I dont consider any strangers lives to have importance, though I do hold my cat's life as sacred and those in my circle of 9. Hmm, have to think more about this word Sacred
Interesting perspective, but that raises the ponderance: Why does your life take precedence over those of others? Simply because you consider yourself to be your own god is hardly a good justification; it is simply arrogant to assume your life superior to anybody else.

Though it does interest me that you put the life of a cat above that of other humans apparently.

To a Satanist he is the most important person in his life and then their circle and children and animals as well because they are innocent, they are born Satanists and are the ultimate manipulators, and as a Witch I would say the same thing, animals and children are sacred, in fact all beings are inately sacred but their actions and sometimes in actions can cause them to lose that sacred position, sure they are still inately sacred but they have shown themselves to be unworthy of respect and honor.
Its actually common sense and not so much arrogance, I mean think about it, a man takes gun out at the store and tells you he will kill you or a complete stranger- Most people have such a strong sense of self preservation that they are going to say, dont kill me! what makes your life more valuable than that of the strangers? Nothing except your own belief that your life has more value because its your life and thats why I hold my life as sacred, I will do whatever it takes to make sure I am here tomorrow and when the Angel of Death comes looking for me, I will fight him with every last breath to make sure I dont go down too easily.