Question #3

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2012, 07:07 PM
RE: Question #3
(01-12-2012 03:48 PM)Irishdize Wrote:  What made you make the final decision to be an Atheist?

See, I cant stand how this question is worded because it implies that atheism is a choice that one day we all woke up and decided, hey lets be atheists!

I personally research things to death and believe in asking deeper questions than most people seem to do these days and after doing this for several months I realiZed I was an Atheist. I do not hold any beliefs in God or gods, supernaturalism or superstitious ideas at all actually.
Satanism is my Philosophy, the more time that goes by, the less I see it as a religion and the more I see it as a philosophy and I discovered that when I was 29, again from researching and asking those same questions that led me to atheism when I was 23.
To this day I have seen no credible or even personal evidence that there is a God of any kind. Or supernaturalism. So, I remain in my current position.
Some atheists describe themselves as such despite not having really considered what they are claiming.

Do not at least some Satanists hold supernatural views? ~ Evil_monster ~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2012, 08:54 PM
(01-12-2012 05:14 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  One does not simply decide to become an atheist.

We're all atheist at birth, most of us are simply unfortunate enough to have had our little minds warped and perverted by our parents or other authority figures as children, who's minds had themselves been warped by their parents or other authority figures and so on you go back in lineage, constantly repeating the pattern.

But to answer our question, I did not know I was an atheist till around age 7-10 (somewhere around there I learnt the word).
Though when I was younger I sometimes lapsed into a sort of panentheistic or panpsychic belief when I felt desperate (for instance when my dog ran away I would usually ask the universe for help). Otherwise I have always been a satiric skeptic.

I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

Again, this assertion that you can't "choose to be an atheist". Of course you can!

I was born an atheist, like everyone else, but I chose to be a Christian. When I realized how stupid and indefensible my beliefs were, I chose to drop Christianity like a prom dress. At that point I chose atheism. I could have equally made the choice to become a Muslim or Buddhist or some other sect of theism instead, but of course I wasn't deconverting because I'd been fed a line from some other church, but rather because I believed religion was dumb.

To answer the OP, I couldn't believe after the point that I realized that I was trying so hard to defend beliefs that didn't make sense. It was so much easier after I became an atheist -- it's so easy to explain why bad things happen to good people or why prayer doesn't seem to get answered. Life just makes more sense through the eyes of atheism.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2012, 09:27 PM
I was not trying to make the assertion that you cannot choose to be an atheist. I was simply trying to point out that:
1.) Becoming an atheist is not simply "Hey, I'mma be an atheist now!", hence; "One does not simply become an atheist." it is not simple because;

2.) While people are born atheists, if they are indoctrinated the process of (re)becoming an atheist is not a simple decision.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-12-2012, 11:13 PM
(01-12-2012 07:07 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(01-12-2012 03:48 PM)Irishdize Wrote:  What made you make the final decision to be an Atheist?

See, I cant stand how this question is worded because it implies that atheism is a choice that one day we all woke up and decided, hey lets be atheists!

I personally research things to death and believe in asking deeper questions than most people seem to do these days and after doing this for several months I realiZed I was an Atheist. I do not hold any beliefs in God or gods, supernaturalism or superstitious ideas at all actually.
Satanism is my Philosophy, the more time that goes by, the less I see it as a religion and the more I see it as a philosophy and I discovered that when I was 29, again from researching and asking those same questions that led me to atheism when I was 23.
To this day I have seen no credible or even personal evidence that there is a God of any kind. Or supernaturalism. So, I remain in my current position.
Some atheists describe themselves as such despite not having really considered what they are claiming.

Nope.
Satanists are not Luciferians or devil worshippers, its a philosophy that sees man as a carnal beast and Satan as a symbol for that carnality--from the Church of Satan website:
What is “Theistic Satanism”?

There is no such thing. People who believe in some Devilish supernatural
being and worship him are Devil-worshippers, not Satanists. Anton LaVey was the
first to define Satanism as a philosophy, and it is an atheist perspective.
“Theistic Satanism” is an oxymoronic term and thus absurd. In Satanism each
individual is his or her own god—there is no room for any other god and that
includes Satan, Lucifer, Cthulhu or whatever other name one might select or take
from history or fiction.
01-12-2012, 11:22 PM
(01-12-2012 08:54 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(01-12-2012 05:14 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  One does not simply decide to become an atheist.

We're all atheist at birth, most of us are simply unfortunate enough to have had our little minds warped and perverted by our parents or other authority figures as children, who's minds had themselves been warped by their parents or other authority figures and so on you go back in lineage, constantly repeating the pattern.

But to answer our question, I did not know I was an atheist till around age 7-10 (somewhere around there I learnt the word).
Though when I was younger I sometimes lapsed into a sort of panentheistic or panpsychic belief when I felt desperate (for instance when my dog ran away I would usually ask the universe for help). Otherwise I have always been a satiric skeptic.

I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

Again, this assertion that you can't "choose to be an atheist". Of course you can!

I was born an atheist, like everyone else, but I chose to be a Christian. When I realized how stupid and indefensible my beliefs were, I chose to drop Christianity like a prom dress. At that point I chose atheism. I could have equally made the choice to become a Muslim or Buddhist or some other sect of theism instead, but of course I wasn't deconverting because I'd been fed a line from some other church, but rather because I believed religion was dumb.

To answer the OP, I couldn't believe after the point that I realized that I was trying so hard to defend beliefs that didn't make sense. It was so much easier after I became an atheist -- it's so easy to explain why bad things happen to good people or why prayer doesn't seem to get answered. Life just makes more sense through the eyes of atheism.

I guess I dont see atheism or belief in God as a choice. You can choose to walk away from atheistic explorations I suppose, I could choose to stop reading essays and websites on Satanism and deny that I ever believed it but it wouldnt be true.
I dont think I can force myself to believe in God, I dont believe, i dont know how to start believe in something I just have no belief in but if its a choice, then how do I choose to believe? It would sure be easier on me in certain circumstances to believe!
01-12-2012, 11:34 PM
(01-12-2012 07:07 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  

Oh and I know I missed it!
Before someone says, oh you dont have to believe in God or Satan to believe in the supernatural, this is from a charming site on Satanism and our beliefs/practices called 'Into the darkness' (links allowed?)
Satanists do not believe in the supernatural, in neither God nor the Devil. However, there are people who refer to themselves as Satanists who do but these are devil worshippers and dismissed as crackpots and irrational behaviors just as there are people who claim to be Witches and kill cats and atheists who burn down churches, in every group there are the crazies.
(agreed)
02-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Question #3
I was a Christian for 25 years. Started out as a literal bible believer and believed in miracles and all that. Lost my faith in October of 2011 after 10 years of questioning. Came out to my wife a year ago and it didn't go well. I didn't want to lose my family so I tried to believe again. I tried to research and find out where the "devil" tricked me into atheism. Well that only confirmed to me even more that the bible is bigger BS than I has first suspected. After a year of searching and taking Paxil. I have come to the exact same conclusion. Belief in the supernatural requires self delusion. Once the cat is out of the bag it won't go back in. My wife and I have come to a cease fire for now. She just thinks I'm being negative when I try to get her to think rationally about her beliefs. I still go to church with my family. I'm not against believers. I think it's just part of the human condition to have imaginary beliefs and superstitions. I'm trying to educate in moderation! I hope there is a loving god at the end of this life but see no evidence for it.

Too a life well lived and full of meaning that we give it.
[+] 2 users Like Ben-Mpls1970's post
02-12-2012, 07:45 AM
This question reminds of the leading questions like "When did you stop taking drugs ? Or what lead you to make the decision to stop beating your spouse ?"

Granted some people do lose their religious upbringing and discover reason. Along with that they also discover that not believing in gods has a name. Atheism.

It's not that people choose atheism. It's not something you choose to become. It doesn't have any beliefs associated with it.

If anything, you could ask people " when did you first choose to use that portion of your brain that contains reason and critical thinking ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
02-12-2012, 01:56 PM
(02-12-2012 07:45 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  This question reminds of the leading questions like "When did you stop taking drugs ? Or what lead you to make the decision to stop beating your spouse ?"

Granted some people do lose their religious upbringing and discover reason. Along with that they also discover that not believing in gods has a name. Atheism.

It's not that people choose atheism. It's not something you choose to become. It doesn't have any beliefs associated with it.

If anything, you could ask people " when did you first choose to use that portion of your brain that contains reason and critical thinking ?

Well
Like I said, I dont agree with the way the question is asked, I dont believe you choose your beliefs, I know you can learn new beliefs and start thinking critically but its not a conscience choice for the most part but I did agree to ask the questions as they are written in the book of questions so Yeah, I agree though, its poorly worded.
02-12-2012, 07:20 PM
(01-12-2012 11:22 PM)Irishdize Wrote:  I guess I dont see atheism or belief in God as a choice. You can choose to walk away from atheistic explorations I suppose, I could choose to stop reading essays and websites on Satanism and deny that I ever believed it but it wouldnt be true.
I dont think I can force myself to believe in God, I dont believe, i dont know how to start believe in something I just have no belief in but if its a choice, then how do I choose to believe? It would sure be easier on me in certain circumstances to believe!
Perhaps empathy may require actually being in someone else's shoes.

Of course it's a choice. Haven't you heard the story of Kurt Wise (The God Delusion, pp. 284-285) in which a scientist cut everything out of the bible that was scientifically absurd, and after thinking about it, decided to keep believing in God anyway? Perhaps you've never been at that point where you decided you could deny evidence against your stance or change your course, but I think it's a pretty common story.

You're thinking of it as a choice made with who you are at this very moment. Obviously you couldn't just decide to believe in God on a whim, but if you really did want to believe, you could subject yourself to constant indoctrination. You could surround yourself with friends who believe in God, and you could simply deny questions that challenged the idea of God. I'm not suggesting any of this, but it is nevertheless something that could be done.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user