Question #4

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2012, 02:27 AM
Question #4
For the theists: How does God speak to you?
For The Non Theists: How did you believe God spoke to you?
Being raised in Witchcraft, I was taught that The Goddess spoke only through the lots, we would cast lots while reading texts in the sacred journey (our degree system/self improvement system) and whatever came up when we would throw it was her answer, for example, I would read in a text where it would say to quit my job and move to New York, Then I would go into ritual, pray, cast the lots and ask if I should do that, if I rolled the right #, it meant Yes.
I was raised to believe that the lots could not lie because The Goddess could not lie and that we could choose to do what we were being told to do or not but be ready for whatever consequences came from our choice.
Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2012, 02:44 AM
RE: Question #4
Question #4
A) Hallucination/delusion.

B) See A

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
05-12-2012, 03:26 AM
As far as I could make out God was supposed to speak to me through stuff going right for me. E.g. if I applied for a scholarship and got it then God wanted me to do X, whereas if I really wanted to clean windows for a living but the window cleaners wouldn't hire me then God was indicating that my career in window cleaning was not according to his wishes. There were little sayings like 'God helps those who help themselves'...

But I never really bought it, apart from maybe when I was very young. I kept thinking 'well, what if things just happened that way randomly and now I'm assigning credit to this God guy'. See, oddly enough I got the concept of nature just doing it's thing quite early on. Of course there were a bunch of other memes that kept me good and confused for a long while (like - you'll be *nothing* when you're dead!!! ZOMG WTF LOL ???) before I decided the whole schmeer was bullshit.
05-12-2012, 03:43 AM
Anytime I ever tried having a conversation with any gods, angels, demons, devils, leprechauns, Santa, etc. I realized I was just talking to myself. Anything that may have happened after those talks were just coincidental.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
05-12-2012, 04:26 AM
The question is loaded.

The part for theists should also be how they believe god speaks to them, because otherwise the question assumes the existence of that which cannot be proven.

As for part b) I never did since I have never been a theist. Oh I messed around with Pascals Wager for a bit when I was a kid (without knowing what the wager was of course) by praying for something I really wanted sometimes, just in case there really was something out there, but that was about it.

Problem was I never knew who to address it to. That and praying is bullshit.
05-12-2012, 04:28 AM
It would usually happen when I felt lost or alone, or feeling particularly stressed. Never when I was actually thinking straight.
05-12-2012, 06:42 AM
I didn't ever think that god was speaking to me when I was a theist.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post
05-12-2012, 08:50 AM
A. Not qualified to answer this part, but I've heard some doozies from others.
B. No god, no conversation.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
05-12-2012, 08:55 AM
I am with Vosur on this one. I never had any experience where I thought god was communicating with me in any way. I might have thought things were "god's work" in hindsight, but I never believed he told me what to do or communicated his intentions before any event.

Even as a theist, it always seemed to be the case that, as Susan B. Anthony said “I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.” Even as a theist, a christian, a believer, whatever, this more or less rung true, despite me not hearing this particular quote until only a few years ago.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
05-12-2012, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2012 11:48 AM by Gaest.)
What Vosur said... I would probably visit the doctor before answering back.

Communication and talking are not necessarily the same thing. I know of many religious people who feel/see some kind of communication from god(s) - or what they perceive to be communication anyway - but as far as I know none of them actually claim to have conversations or hearing divine voices.

My impression is that around here most religious people would get worried rather than thrilled, if someone claimed to actually speak with a god...

Edit: About myself: I have moments when I feel some kind of reaction, communication, during rituals - usually the spiritual stimulus is mediated by stuff like the wind picking up, the alcohol kicking in and the joy of being with friends in a religious setting.