Question About Evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2011, 04:09 PM

Question About Evolution
Hola, I just have a couple questions about evolution.

Why are there still cells and stuff like that? I've seen the video with the colonization video, but that didn't really explain it to me. Why isn't everything evolving to have brains and eyes and things like that? Even when speciation occurs and one path continues on to more complex life, why does the other path not evolve in a similar way?

I do accept evolution, that has always just been my one question.
Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2011, 04:15 PM
RE: Question About Evolution
Cells are still needed to be the basic building blocks for developing multicellular creatures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLr-_L5HuhU

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2011, 04:24 PM
(20-01-2011 04:09 PM)Zallomallo Wrote:  Even when speciation occurs and one path continues on to more complex life, why does the other path not evolve in a similar way?

It does evolve in a similar way. Or rather a slightly less than similar way. And then so on and so on until the once similar species has evolved hundreds of times over millions of years in slightly less similar ways until they aren't similar at all.

Darwin's Tree of Life

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
20-01-2011, 05:11 PM

Well what I mean is, why do we have single celled organisms, shouldn't they have evolved into multicelled?
20-01-2011, 07:47 PM
(20-01-2011 05:11 PM)Zallomallo Wrote:  Well what I mean is, why do we have single celled organisms, shouldn't they have evolved into multicelled?

Some single cells didn't have to become multi-celled because the environment where they belonged too didn't required them to evolved. Your statement is like how some creationists debate to us why evolution is wrong.

"Well if we evolved from apes. Why hasn't the chimp evolved more into a human."

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
20-01-2011, 09:09 PM
(20-01-2011 05:11 PM)Zallomallo Wrote:  Well what I mean is, why do we have single celled organisms, shouldn't they have evolved into multicelled?

No. Evolution doesn't have any "should"s. If an organism has no need to evolve, it probably won't ("probably" because it still might, despite the fact that there's no pressure on it to). Single-celled organisms fit their ecological niches quite nicely. They don't have any evolutionary pressure to change.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
20-01-2011, 09:28 PM

Okay, I finally get it with the niches/evolutionary stability thing.

Thank you for your help.
20-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Quote:Why isn't everything evolving to have brains and eyes and things like that?
There's no pressure. Those things are not relevant to the survival and reproduction of a species that doesn't already have those things.
There are costs and benefits. A bird with a big big brain would need alot more energy to live than its rivals, so it would have to find alot more food than the others. The normal birds only have the instincts for survival and reproduction, so a big brain might not have very much benefit.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
21-01-2011, 01:26 PM
(20-01-2011 09:28 PM)Zallomallo Wrote:  Okay, I finally get it with the niches/evolutionary stability thing.

Thank you for your help.

No problem. Feel free to stick around if you have any more questions. Or if you don't. Tongue

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
21-01-2011, 11:58 PM
(20-01-2011 04:09 PM)Zallomallo Wrote:  Why isn't everything evolving to have brains and eyes and things like that? Even when speciation occurs and one path continues on to more complex life, why does the other path not evolve in a similar way?

Evolution is NOT a driving force. Evolution is the result of the processes of "natural selection" and the "competition to survive."

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.