Question About Evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2011, 10:59 PM
RE: Question About Evolution
Yes, they are found around water a lot. I am not sure if they are "only" found near water since I don't know enough about them to confirm that part of the statement.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2011, 11:28 AM

Evolution does not necessarily have to occur due to seletion pressure in the environment per-se.
sometimes if there develops a character due to mutation that is advantageous in the present environment it will allow that individual organism to take another path and gradually become more specialized in it, separating from the ancestral organism. this does not have to lead to the same end result, as there are more than one way to achieve the goal of survival.

for example a couple who are say doctors might give an advantage to their children to become a doctor, and become even better doctors but it does not mean that all the ancestors of the child were doctors, they could have specialized in something else and maybe become celebrities.
Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2011, 02:35 PM
The fast and easy answer to the initial question is that single cell life forms did not go extinct/ evolve into something else when multi cellular life occurred because an environment containing multi cellular life could still support single celled life forms.

I need to make a comment on the doctors first post, because it is so very, very wrong. No life, single celled or otherwise persists because it is needed for anything. It persists because its genes can build a survival machine that is able to procreate in it's current environment. If you read through your comment again you will see that you are implying that evolution has purpose.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
03-03-2011, 02:04 AM
Evolution is not a force, it is a result. Natural selection and survival of the fittest are the forces that shape evolution. Evolution is simply the results produced by those forces.

Those species which survive exist, those species that don't survive don't exist. Those individuals in a species that reproduce input their traits into the next generation, those that don't reproduce don't pass on their traits. Those that have the most offspring and or the most successful offspring will have the highest influence on the next generation(S).

This also means that by adapting well to one enviornment a species is can set itself up for extinction if the enviorment changes.

Some life forms are extremely slow to evovle because they are suited well to many enviorments, such as mosquitoes, crocodiles, sharks etc.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
03-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Single celled organisms certainly did not die out when multicellular ones came along, prokaryotes outdo us in many ways, especially reproduction/duplication.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
04-03-2011, 01:34 AM
And survivability.

04-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Quote:Single celled organisms certainly did not die out when multicellular ones came along, prokaryotes outdo us in many ways, especially reproduction/duplication.

Quote:And survivability.

I think copying fidelity should complete that list. Wink

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
04-03-2011, 06:46 PM
I googled copying fidelity but didn't find anything that helped me understand what it is.

05-03-2011, 07:51 AM
(04-03-2011 06:46 PM)No J. Wrote:  I googled copying fidelity but didn't find anything that helped me understand what it is.

If a species has high copying-fidelity it means that the probability of a mistake during dublication (a mutation) is low. However, to a certain extent, mistakes will be made unless there would be no evolution. Natural selection favours thoose species that have a high copĂ­ing fidelity. It's in The Selfih Gene.

BTW, 'fidel' means 'loyal' in french, I guess that's where the word originates from.

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
05-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks. I got it now.