Question About Evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2011, 04:50 PM
RE: Question About Evolution
Quote:If a species has high copying-fidelity it means that the probability of a mistake during duplication (a mutation) is low.

I really hope someone who calls himself the selfish gene can see what's wrong with this sentence.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2011, 12:55 PM
(05-03-2011 04:50 PM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  
Quote:If a species has high copying-fidelity it means that the probability of a mistake during duplication (a mutation) is low.

I really hope someone who calls himself the selfish gene can see what's wrong with this sentence.

Well, no... he can't.

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
06-03-2011, 01:35 PM
(06-03-2011 12:55 PM)TheSelfishGene Wrote:  
(05-03-2011 04:50 PM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  

Well, no... he can't.

Copying fidelity does not apply to species, and neither does it apply to individual organisms. This is simply because species (or organisms) are not the units that are being copied, genes are. hence the reference to your pseudonym. It is also the central theme of the book. If you substitute "gene" for "species" in the sentence i quoted it would be correct.

06-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Quote:Natural selection favours thoose species that have a high copíing fidelity. It's in The Selfih Gene.
Talking about 'favoring species' sounds group selectionist. I don't remember where it is in the Selfish Gene, so could you tell the chapter?
I don't get what's wrong with this, although I don't remember if I've ever heard that the copying fidelity of DNA could significantly vary from genome to genome.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
06-03-2011, 02:20 PM
O yea, thanks for the correction, it's gene, not species!

It's in the first chapter BTW.

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
07-03-2011, 01:20 PM
(06-03-2011 01:37 PM)Kikko Wrote:  
I don't get what's wrong with this, although I don't remember if I've ever heard that the copying fidelity of DNA could significantly vary from genome to genome.

I'm going to assume that you wrote that you didn't read my explanation in my last post before you wrote this.
Copying fidelity does vary. Also the is variation in the dominance of genes. This is when one gene is more likely to be copied than it's allele.

(06-03-2011 01:37 PM)Kikko Wrote:  ________________
edit: Hello Norsk.

Hello Finsk. (w00t?)

Congratulations on Kaisa Mäkäräinen's biathlon gold btw!

07-03-2011, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2011 03:04 PM by Kikko.)
Quote:I'm going to assume that you wrote that you didn't read my explanation in my last post before you wrote this. Copying fidelity does vary. Also the is variation in the dominance of genes. This is when one gene is more likely to be copied than it's allele.
I was thinking of copying-fidelity as 'copying-accuracy', so that a gene's protein would have an effect on the causes of mutation and so the chance of copying errors would significantly reduce in the genome. Sure a shorter gene has a lower change of being disturbed by mutation than a longer gene, but I'm talking of whole genomes.
I don't remember hearing of gene's that reduce mutation changes. I'm pretty sure I've got something wrong here, but I can't figure it out at this time of evening.

Kaisa who?
*google*
O' great.
I don't follow sports.

Ooooooooh! Now I get it, it's the sentences ''copying fidelity doesn't apply to species'' and ''I don't get what's wrong with this''. I was thinking more of the definition on copying-fidelity: ''it means that the probability of a mistake during duplication (a mutation) is low.''

Accept me or go to hell.
08-03-2011, 01:20 PM
"I was thinking of copying-fidelity as 'copying-accuracy'"

Well so do I, and so does Richard Dawkins:

A reminder from the 1st chapter of The Selfish Gene:

" A third characteristic of
replicator molecules which would have been positively selected is
accuracy of replication. If molecules of type X and type Y last the same
length of time and replicate at the same rate, but A makes a mistake on
average every tenth replication while Y makes a mistake only every
hundredth replication, Y will obviously become more numerous. The A
contingent in the population loses not only the errant 'children'
themselves, but also all their descendants, actual or potential. "

08-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Quote:" A third characteristic of
replicator molecules which would have been positively selected is
accuracy of replication. If molecules of type X and type Y last the same
length of time and replicate at the same rate, but A makes a mistake on
average every tenth replication while Y makes a mistake only every
hundredth replication, Y will obviously become more numerous. The A
contingent in the population loses not only the errant 'children'
themselves, but also all their descendants, actual or potential. "
Was that from the part about molecular selection? Or is he talking about the nucleic acids of DNA?

Accept me or go to hell.
09-03-2011, 08:12 AM
It's just for molecule selection.