Question: Human development

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2013, 03:26 AM
Question: Human development
I was wondering: Why do we humans have a realization of ourselves? Why do we feel embarrassed etc. Why do we ask those big questions like: "Where did everything begin" and "What was before the big bang"?

Is it because our thinking capacity have evolved more than the primates?

Any replies welcomed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2013, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2013 05:21 AM by ghostexorcist.)
RE: Question: Human development
It's a combination of our larger brains and the fact that we no longer have to struggle to survive. All animals are programed to "eat, survive, reproduce." We still are; but not worrying about when your next meal will be, or whether something is going to eat you really frees up your mind. By the way, self-realization and embarrassment are not uniquely human traits. For instance, apes, cetaceans, elephants, and birds pass the "mirror test."

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like ghostexorcist's post
06-05-2013, 05:01 AM
(06-05-2013 04:55 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  It's a combination of our larger brains and the fact that we no longer have to struggle to survive. All animals are programed to "eat, survive, reproduce." We still are; but not worrying about when your next meal will be, or whether something is going to eat you really frees up your mind. By the way, self-realization and embarrassment is not a uniquely human trait. For instance, apes, cetaceans, elephants, and birds pass the "mirror test."

Thanks for the reply.
Can you suggest any websites that discusses this issue?
06-05-2013, 05:04 AM
(06-05-2013 04:55 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  It's a combination of our larger brains and the fact that we no longer have to struggle to survive. All animals are programed to "eat, survive, reproduce." We still are; but not worrying about when your next meal will be, or whether something is going to eat you really frees up your mind. By the way, self-realization and embarrassment is not a uniquely human trait. For instance, apes, cetaceans, elephants, and birds pass the "mirror test."

And lobsters have been known to blush.

When you boil them!

For the OP... Human development... probably a good idea.

How do we get started?

Maybe it's jet-lag but I read "Any replies welcomed" as "Any reptiles welcomed."

06-05-2013, 05:11 AM
HA-HA! Remember those glasses, my friend!
06-05-2013, 05:15 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2013 05:42 AM by ghostexorcist.)
(06-05-2013 05:01 AM)FMC Wrote:  Thanks for the reply.
Can you suggest any websites that discusses this issue?

I can't think of any off hand at the moment. That's probably because I'm studying for one of my finals today. I'm sure I read about it in a book at some point, though. I'll try to think of something later. You might want to watch the videos I attached to my first post for more information on self-realization. I challenge anyone to watch the dolphin video without smiling.
06-05-2013, 06:55 AM
(06-05-2013 03:26 AM)FMC Wrote:  I was wondering: Why do we humans have a realization of ourselves? Why do we feel embarrassed etc. Why do we ask those big questions like: "Where did everything begin" and "What was before the big bang"?

Is it because our thinking capacity have evolved more than the primates?

Any replies welcomed.

You of course mean "have evolved an intelligence/awareness beyond the other primates". Drinking Beverage

We don't know that some other animals don't ponder these questions; dolphins, for instance.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
06-05-2013, 08:44 AM
What Chas said. Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Being able to perceive into the future, is a big time advantage. If an organism is capable of thinking about an hour ahead, they have an advantage over the organism that can only react to its environment in the present.

It doesn't seem like that big of a leap that once organisms start using their brains to think of scenarios in the future, they will use experiences in the past. So, maybe it all starts as a series of questions about the past, to gain an advantage in the future and the present?

A lion contemplates its next meal, and "asks" itself "questions" about its last meal. Take away the constant search for food (agriculture, social behaviors like communities, etc) and organisms begin to use their brains for things other than food and sex.

Killer Whales play with their food. Dolphins play with each other. So do most all social organisms. These all seem like precursors to asking deeper philosophical questions to me.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
08-05-2013, 02:05 AM
Slightly off topic but i love this dolphins awareness of who can help it.

[+] 2 users Like Raiz's post