Question about Near Death Experiences

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2017, 05:07 PM
RE: Question about Near Death Experiences
(08-02-2017 11:55 PM)Mirek-Polska Wrote:  So, what would you atheists say about some of these amazing and difficult to explain NDEs?

I believe that they are neurological anomalies and nothing more, and that there is nothing the least bit supernatural about them.

In some cases I also suspect there are aspects of false memory syndrome at play, and that the experiences gradually get embellished in the remembering and retelling -- again, with no gods, demons, heaven, hell or other supernatural elements required.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2017, 05:58 PM
(08-02-2017 11:55 PM)Mirek-Polska Wrote:  So, what would you atheists say about some of these amazing and difficult to explain NDEs? Some of them are just too difficult to explain. Some of them seem TOO graphic or coincidental for a brain that is dying to be able to come up with something like that. The psychic abilities and ESP are just out of this world.
the near-death.com website has so many of them and I doubt they can all be made up.

I need not offer an explanation for something not backed by any evidence.
The person making the claim has the burden of providing evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2017, 06:21 PM
(09-02-2017 04:47 PM)joker-chick Wrote:  below is a link which somewhat debunks that whole claim. I'm not saying rats don't have NDEs, but it isn't as though we can ask them what they saw, assuming they saw anything at all.

Interesting. The first interview with Dr. Chawla, does raise issues with the study I referred to. Given his views on the results, as the person who conducted the study, I will have to reconsider using that point.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
09-02-2017, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2017 07:11 PM by Loom.)
Considering that people of other cultures have NDEs with their god/afterlife varients in the stead of Christianity's (or see something else significant to them, ot nothing at all), I'd say it's all a mere product of a desperate brain.

I personally can attest that the brain can make you see or think some pretty weird and sometimes terrifying things NORMALLY. I suspect a dying brain or one hooked up on anesthetics/drugs would be on a whole other level. Also, might I add that people LOOOOOVE exaggerating?

I don't suppose you believe the people who've been abducted by UFOs?

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
09-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Even advertisers can predict when someone is about to leave their spouse or a woman has recently become pregnant. It's not paranormal, psychic, and I don't even think it's coincidental. Our subconscious mind probably knows as much as a good advertiser.

You said that someone had a child 3 years from the day they had their NDE. Do you feel 100% convinced that this person has a perfect memory and isn't prone to exaggeration, to make their story more interesting?
09-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Why aren't people talking about NDE's where the person sees their favorite childhood toy...or they flashback to a great vacation or horrible trauma?

Those things aren't talked about because that doesn't help sell anything (read God, heaven, hell, etc.)

Someone who comes close to the point of death has a lot of stuff going on biologically that is bound to affect the brain and perception.

Instead we get people who want to come here using anecdotal 'evidence' that some guy knows a guy who said that he saw gawd when he was on the verge of dying. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
09-02-2017, 08:36 PM
(09-02-2017 06:46 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-02-2017 11:55 PM)Mirek-Polska Wrote:  So, what would you atheists say about some of these amazing and difficult to explain NDEs? Some of them are just too difficult to explain. Some of them seem TOO graphic or coincidental for a brain that is dying to be able to come up with something like that. The psychic abilities and ESP are just out of this world.
the near-death.com website has so many of them and I doubt they can all be made up.

They are not at all difficult to explain. Brains de-saturating of oxygen is all they are. No one ever sees anything except shit they already know about.
Rats have NDEs. Are they going to rat-Jesus ?

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...al-or-Fake

Why can't you people do the simplest search, and why is your impotent god so weak and powerless he lets innocent babies die and starve, but can do NDEs ?

Rat-Jesus......hummmm

Googled it!

[Image: mbrn3kAjmd-4.png]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
09-02-2017, 08:42 PM
(09-02-2017 04:47 PM)joker-chick Wrote:  From fat bald hobbit:
NDE's have been explained by science. They are a product of brain chemistry associated with injury/illness/trauma. NDE's have been induced in laboratory experiments. Studies have been able to replicate NDE's in rats.

reply:
One question I have: How does the rat experiment demonstrate anything about NDEs? How do we know what the rats experienced?
http://skeptiko.com/223-dumbest-explanat...xperience/

below is a link which somewhat debunks that whole claim. I'm not saying rats don't have NDEs, but it isn't as though we can ask them what they saw, assuming they saw anything at all.

No one said they "saw" anything.
They did all have a disorganized upsurge in electrical activity.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-02-2017, 08:45 PM
St. Paul said "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard ...." so I guess *scripture tells us* NDE's are bunk. Your welcome. Tongue

The point is, they always see earthly stuff, same old music, same old images from their OWN cultures. If they were real, there would be *something* unusual.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-02-2017, 09:07 PM
What one "supposedly" experiences during an NDE can easily be explained as a hallucination, due to the lack of oxygen being provided to the brain.

Consider the NDE experience a formal going out dream.