Question about death to Atheists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2017, 08:46 PM
RE: Question about death to Atheists.
It was sad to see the religious fall into the hands of their god when I lived in hospital. I fear as Diocletian did, that xianity makes one weak.

I had but one life to lose, so I clung. I remain.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
09-02-2017, 08:47 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2017 09:36 PM by jennybee.)
(09-02-2017 08:16 PM)Mirek-Polska Wrote:  
(09-02-2017 07:55 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Like WH said, coincidence. Additionally, if these people were sick, older, living risky lifestyles, etc.--it would add to the possibility of their passing away due to age, medical issues, and so on. It would also add to the possibility of your mom thinking about them due to worry, concern and then, dreaming about them. Thereby, these two events coinciding. Additionally, your mom is counting the hits and not the misses. I'm sure there have been times there have been misses. If she has quite vivid dreams, she's dreaming about things and remembering them frequently. You sleep every night, day after day, year after year...so lots of opportunities for misses. Tongue

As far as the white spirit leaving a body--power of suggestion from societal upbringing and possibly lack of sleep and stress which can produce hallucinations. Changes in lighting and shadows can also have the same effect. And someone in a distraught state may think there is something more to it than that. The brain is set up via evolution to try and make sense of things and as such, sometimes fills in the blanks with its own information. Shadows and lighting become a spirit.

I like both of your answers. Now, here is an interesting question for you: Suppose for a moment that my mom's phenomenon was proven not to be a coincidence but an actual ability (I know it is not but let's hypothetically suppose), would you then assume that it is supernatural, or would you still assume that there could be a natural explanation that we are not aware of?

Since psychic ability has been debunked and there is no evidence for psychic ability, I would say your mom's "ability" is due to natural explanations and causes.

Your mom only has this "phenomena" happen once in awhile throughout her *entire* life. That's called a coincidence. That's called probability. And there could be other external factors such as the dreamed about person's age or illness which could be adding to this phenomena. I think if you question her a little further you might find that she was thinking about them because they were an older adult, frail, in the hospital etc. If that's the case, none of her dreams are really that surprising.

Additionally, I'm sure not everything she has ever dreamed about has come true. If she had a special ability--why aren't all of her dreams coming true? Why hasn't everyone that she has ever dreamed about in all of her nights, weeks, months, years of sleeping died?
09-02-2017, 08:52 PM
We cannot be certain that there is nothing after death.

However, considering the evidence at our disposal, it is more logical to assume that there is nothing after death than to comfort ourselves falsely.
[+] 1 user Likes Foxen's post
09-02-2017, 09:13 PM
Sigh. Pascal's Wager. "What if you're wrong?"

I return the question.

What if we are right? Does the idea of death bother you? The loss of self? Oblivion?

What if there is an afterlife, but not the one you thought?

What if you find yourself standing before allah and the prophet?

or Odin?

or Hades?

Or one of the thousands of christian sects that preach exclusivity?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 6 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
09-02-2017, 09:27 PM
(09-02-2017 09:13 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Sigh. Pascal's Wager. "What if you're wrong?"

I return the question.

What if we are right? Does the idea of death bother you? The loss of self? Oblivion?

What if there is an afterlife, but not the one you thought?

What if you find yourself standing before allah and the prophet?

or Odin?

or Hades?

Or one of the thousands of christian sects that preach exclusivity?

This is a really good point. It kind of reminds me of something Guy P. Harrison wrote in one of his books. There have been thousands of gods throughout time, thousands of religions. To be "safe" you should try and worship all of them. Except even if you spent your entire existence trying to worship all of them, you would still fall short because there are simply too many gods, goddesses, religious practices, and religions that have occurred both presently and throughout time. You can choose to spend your entire life attempting to worship all of these gods on the chance that one of them could be the right one or you can follow the evidence and think for yourself--and enjoy the one life we have on your own terms.
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
09-02-2017, 09:29 PM
(09-02-2017 08:16 PM)Mirek-Polska Wrote:  Now, here is an interesting question for you: Suppose for a moment that my mom's phenomenon was proven not to be a coincidence but an actual ability (I know it is not but let's hypothetically suppose), would you then assume that it is supernatural, or would you still assume that there could be a natural explanation that we are not aware of?

Every single thing that we have found an answer for has turned out to be natural and exactly zero confirmed instances where the answer turned out to be supernatural. If we observed an effect that we could not explain then the most reasonable course of action would be to begin searching for a natural explanation. It would make no sense to assume that it is unexplainable and jump to an answer that has never been shown to be right. ever.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
09-02-2017, 09:41 PM
The ancient Egyptians believed preserving the body helped that soul in the next life.
Hinis believe burning the body frees the soul.
Xians believe devotion to Christ provides a nice afterlife.

Hmmm, there's something missing in those three systems... Consider

What about this life?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
09-02-2017, 09:56 PM
To answer your question, Mirek, yes... I think it's infinitely more likely that whatever phenomenon we discover has natural causes at its root.

Almost everything we have once thought to be the product of magic, or demons, or other supernatural forces, have turned out to have natural causes-- keep in mind that the sun, which is just "a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace" (as They Might Be Giants sings), was once thought to be a god, or the powers of a god, in almost every culture.

Physics informed us of how lightning and thunder work... no more need for Odin and Thor. Germ Theory replaced the idea that people were made sick by sinfulness, or by demonic influence. Biology replaced our myths that man was hand-crafted by magic out of clay.

The same goes with our advancing knowledge of mental health. Think of how many "demon-possessed" people have been killed or otherwise harmed throughout our history, when in fact they were just suffering from what are today easily-treatable mental health conditions.

So for supernatural claims that cannot yet be tested to discover their source, it's a fairly safe bet to presume it's not magical, but something natural of which we are not yet aware. And even then, as we have pointed out, there are many such claims that have been tested and found to be non-magical, after all. To insert god(s) or other supernatural beings into our gaps in knowledge is not only unnecessary, it's often counterproductive to finding out what's really going on.

And frankly, these magical beliefs leave the psychological door open (so to speak) for unscrupulous or ignorant people to make suggestive ideas stick in order to manipulate their peers.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
09-02-2017, 10:23 PM
(09-02-2017 07:13 PM)Mirek-Polska Wrote:  ...I want to know, how can some atheists on here be so sure that there is nothing after death when there are so many unexplained things?

I simply know of no believable evidence for the existence of a mind independent of a living, properly functioning physical brain, so when the brain dies the mind almost certainly dies with it. One example I like to use is deep, dreamless sleep: We are not aware of ourselves when the brain is generating very low-frequency brainwaves in non-REM sleep. Why should we suddenly regain awareness in the absence of even slow-wave brain activity? Very unlikely indeed.

(09-02-2017 08:16 PM)Mirek-Polska Wrote:  Suppose for a moment that my mom's phenomenon was proven not to be a coincidence but an actual ability (I know it is not but let's hypothetically suppose), would you then assume that it is supernatural, or would you still assume that there could be a natural explanation that we are not aware of?

I would always assume a natural explanation first, as "supernatural" has no explanatory power. IMO it's tantamount to just giving up the search when there's no obvious natural explanation.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Astreja's post
09-02-2017, 10:24 PM
Whatever explanation one can think up, it's far more probable than the miraculous option. Miracles go to the very back of the line. They are the least probable.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post