Question about death to Atheists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Question about death to Atheists.
Sometimes the mind sees what the heart wants to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like treefireguy's post
27-03-2017, 04:27 AM
RE: Question about death to Atheists.
(09-02-2017 07:13 PM)Mirek-Polska Wrote:  So at my church, I recently talked to an older woman who told me that while she was in the hospital with her husband (who was terminally ill), she held his hand. She said that while he was lying in his hospital bed, that she saw some white looking entity leaving his body. She said it almost looked like his physical body was a shell, and out of the shell came this white, transparent 'spirit' form of him. She said that soon afterwards doctors had examined him, and reported that he was in fact dead. I could tell that this lady was being sincere in what she was telling me.

I know the OP is banned, but for any other Theists on the board, the lady in this story may have been sincere but it's a load of garbage. People see things that they are looking for. In this case she was upset about her husband passing on, and rightly so, and wants to have "faith" that she'll see him again in the next life that her religion preaches of. If that comforts her/you by thinking this is a thing, then you do what makes you happy, but the factual statement is that "Spirit" doesn't exist.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
29-03-2017, 01:42 PM
My wife technically died for about a minute. She saw nothing. I wasn't there, but the people she was with saw nothing.

And also, she actually came out of the experience feeling better about dying, because she was like "well...it really wasn't that bad; you just kind of stop".
[+] 3 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
29-03-2017, 01:50 PM
(29-03-2017 01:42 PM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  My wife technically died for about a minute. She saw nothing. I wasn't there, but the people she was with saw nothing.

And also, she actually came out of the experience feeling better about dying, because she was like "well...it really wasn't that bad; you just kind of stop".

Yeah, I figure it's like when you go under anesthesia. You just turn off.

The emergent property of your consciousness can't operate when your brain is out of whack due to any number of other factors.

I'm glad your wife is okay though.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
22-04-2017, 12:07 AM
In science we start with the Null Hypothesis, that is, we assume that it isn't until we reject the Null Hypothesis by proving that it is.

Some day the Null Hypothesis (that there is no afterlife) may be rejected by evidence that meets the standards of science, but humans have been trying to do that for millenia and have so far failed.

Thus I continue to assume that there is no afterlife until it is proven.
[+] 3 users Like psybj's post
24-04-2017, 02:05 PM
Whenever someone starts talking about "near death experiences", I always wonder how they knew that the person having the alleged experience was "near death"?

Seems to me that the only definitive way to know that someone was "near death" is after the fact -- that is, they die, and then you can determine that at some point immediately prior to death, they were near death.
But you can't possible know in advance.

Every account I've ever seen of an alleged "near death experience" has been narrated by someone living. Such experiences, then, are very much the experiences of the living, and would seem to have little or nothing to do with death, other than by subsequent narrative embellishment.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
24-04-2017, 03:53 PM
(09-02-2017 07:13 PM)Mirek-Polska Wrote:  How would you atheists react to some of these things if you were to give the claimer the benefit of the doubt that he/she was not lying?

Well, I don't give them the benefit of the doubt. That's all anecdotal evidence, backed up by nothing as far as scientific investigation goes.

As for being sure that there's nothing after death- I ain't. Noone can be sure. I'm only sure that the scripted christian, jewish, muslim gods aren't true. Well, unless the graduated from amoeba god to dinosaur god, mammal god to human god.

Earths and the universe's history show us that humans are just primates. Mammals. If you can't live with that, sad day for you.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
25-04-2017, 05:30 AM
(24-04-2017 03:53 PM)abaris Wrote:  As for being sure that there's nothing after death I ain't. Noone can be sure...

Well, I for one am sure that there's "nothing" after death. It can't be differentiated from simply going to sleep, and I'm certainly not fearful of sleeping LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
25-04-2017, 10:06 AM
(27-03-2017 04:27 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I know the OP is banned, but for any other Theists on the board, the lady in this story may have been sincere but it's a load of garbage. People see things that they are looking for. In this case she was upset about her husband passing on, and rightly so, and wants to have "faith" that she'll see him again in the next life that her religion preaches of. If that comforts her/you by thinking this is a thing, then you do what makes you happy, but the factual statement is that "Spirit" doesn't exist.
I just got word from my late wife's relatives, who I am in sporadic touch with via email, that my late wife's step-father and favorite uncle died basically of old age (producing two new widows) within a couple weeks of each other this month.

They are very religious (rural Methodist, so not too rabid, but the father in law was a cousin of a famous disgraced televangelist and still-active nutjob). So I dusted off my very rusty theist social skills and picked out two very flowery sympathy cards full of the expected / desired religious pablum, even though I suspect that they suspect that I don't believe a word of it. It's the right thing to do. Particularly in case of the uncle, we're talking about very good, kind, loving, empathetic people who are behind a lot of truly selfless good works in their community. As you mention -- the widows derive comfort from the belief they will be (soon, given they are in their 80s) reunited in the Great Beyond. I am not going to try to disabuse them of that. That train left the station long ago, and they were never willing to get on it. And I can't say that pragmatically speaking it was even the wrong decision for them, in their particular situation.

So as you point out, yes, do what you have to do to get through your days, and I won't even rain on your parade, especially at vulnerable moments. But the fact remains that no justifiable knowledge claims can be made about the immaterial or supernatural, and no justifiable positive belief can be afforded to either.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post