Question about flood

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2015, 01:33 PM
RE: Question about flood
(18-03-2015 09:39 AM)H4ym4n Wrote:  Or if god told COtW to utterly destroy the inhabitants of the land of h4ym4n. Leave nothing alive, not even babies, camals or ass.

It's not like jesus hasn't given the utterly destroy order in the past.

1 Samuel 15:3King James Version (KJV)

3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

I guess the Amalekites were having an "everything must go" sale...and God simply wanted the Israelites to capitilize on this deal. Everyone loves a bargain Laugh out load
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2015, 01:34 PM
(18-03-2015 01:26 PM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  You are making me feel very uneasy even through an internet forum discussion and that's something new for me.

You need some help, I can't say much more than that.

Less rhetoric, more substance..and even more addressing of what I actually said.
18-03-2015, 01:38 PM
(18-03-2015 01:00 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 05:10 AM)H4ym4n Wrote:  Any point in asking you where god came from?

When you can tell me where did the #1 come from, I promise you I will tell you where God came from.

I can tell you. The number 1 is an audio/ visual symbol which stands for the concept "one" which denotes a single instance of something. It came from man's conceptual faculty which is a type of conscious activity. That is where the number one came from. That is where all concepts come from including your God.

Now it's your turn. Where did God come from? You've already admitted in another thread that we probably can't distinguish between God and something that is imaginary, so I'm interested to hear your answer. I'll bet whatever your answer is it will be something for which there is no alternative but to use our imaginations to apprehend it.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
18-03-2015, 01:43 PM
(18-03-2015 01:29 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  ........... That a mindless, blind process can give you legs to walk, eyes to see, ears to hear, consciousness, etc...

Hi again!

Short post after working a 12 hour night shift standing point, directing traffic in an industrial zone.

BUT!

The total wrong-ness of the above statement has been pointed out to yourself time and time and time and time and time, adnauseam, again.

Seriously, that you keep posting it and people keep pulling you up on it? I'm tired, slightly stressed, aching muscles and spending my small window of free time looking through internet things to keep seeing your....

...Lame? Stupid? Ignorant? I can't think of a suitable descriptor for your shuttered, blinkered, stultified frame of mind.

(18-03-2015 01:29 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  You say its a good thing this deity doesn't exist (the short version), but you need to hope that for your own sake. And whether you like it or not, God exists, buddy. And in due time, there will literally be hell to pay.

And we finish off with Pascal's wager... *sigh*

Better to be honest and let your deity know on the judging mat that it's doing a piss poor job of convincing people it's the only thing on the celestial block than to 'Hedge a bet' and lie to the all knowing Great Old one Cthuhlu.

Much cheers to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
18-03-2015, 01:50 PM
(18-03-2015 01:01 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Please, explain to me how you can tell the difference between an invisible God that communicates via telepathy or dreams and voices in your head.

Again, you are changing the scenario. The scenario wasn't "if you heard a voice in your head telling you to do x,y, and z, would you do it".

The scenario was "If God told you to kill your child, would you do it"...and the answer is HELL YEAH. If God is telling me to do something, then God exists.
18-03-2015, 02:05 PM
(18-03-2015 01:50 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 01:01 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Please, explain to me how you can tell the difference between an invisible God that communicates via telepathy or dreams and voices in your head.

Again, you are changing the scenario. The scenario wasn't "if you heard a voice in your head telling you to do x,y, and z, would you do it".

The scenario was "If God told you to kill your child, would you do it"...and the answer is HELL YEAH. If God is telling me to do something, then God exists.

A green and blue Leprechaun told me to tell you you're a fucking idiot so HELL YEAH. "CotW, you're a fucking idiot." If my Leprechaun is telling me to do something, then Leprechaun's exist.

Facepalm

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
18-03-2015, 03:01 PM
(18-03-2015 01:50 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  

I note how you didn't actually explain what I asked you to. You didn't actually say how you can differentiate between God telling you to do something and you imagining God is telling you to do something.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
18-03-2015, 03:25 PM
(18-03-2015 12:59 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 02:42 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  You now have ceded any objection you could ever have against any other religion for any reason. At this point, all of your objections are nothing but special pleading, because your threshold for reason and evidence is effectively zero.

I fucking hope beyond all hope you are never left responsible for the life of another human being, because clearly when a life is in your hands you cannot be trusted with its safety.
Man, please. You are sitting there telling me your standard of morality. If God doesn't exist, then it doesn't really matter what is done during our finite time on earth. Once the sun burns out, mankind will be dead...so it doesn't really matter how I live my life if in the end, we will all perish anyway.

Fucking hell, grow the fuck up you petulant retarded man-child. The world exists in more than just black and white, either/or absolutes. The problem is that dealing with a world full of grey requires thought, you actually have to think and do some work for yourself, it's nowhere near as remedial as having someone else make all of the hard decisions for you.

So you're not some special creation with a divine purpose made in the image of the creator of the universe? Get the fuck over it ya' pussy!

So you're not special on a cosmic scale, therefore nothing has any meaning anywhere else? You really are stupid as fuck. We make our own meaning, we can dictate our own purpose. But it's a hell of a lot harder than ceding that task to someone else, to a thousands year old book of fables created by people too stupid to know enough to wash their hands after wiping their asses.

(18-03-2015 12:59 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Second, again...killing a child is wrong by what standard?

What standard do you want to use? The ethic of reciprocity? Empathy? Suffering?

(18-03-2015 12:59 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  What natural law determines what is right and what is wrong?

Certainly not your god.

Because we, as social groups, determine what is right and wrong. There is no objective or universal morality. There have been thousands of gods and cult and religions, most of them make claims to moral truth, and most of them disagree with one another. They cannot all be true, but they can all be false. There are plenty of things we're inclined to do or avoid thanks to millions of years of evolution. But making rules and laws requires reaching a consensus with your fellow human in your social group. Now a consensus can change slowly over time or suffer rapid paradigm shifts, but ultimately it is us that determine what is right and wrong; which is why these opinions can vary so widely among separate cultures.

(18-03-2015 12:59 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Where are you getting this standard?

An ever changing influx of information, filtered by my knowledge and critical thinking skills. As new information and evidence is made available it has to be evaluated and integrated, and it may require a change of my own opinions or beliefs. It's not easy, but nothing worth doing right ever is. It's not a simple copy-paste from an ancient book of fables or blind uncritical adherence to an authority figure. I evaluate and create my own standards, which can and do change. Now if asked, I can give reasons and evidence for why I use the standards that I do, because they're so far the best epistemology we have as of yet developed as a species to determine what is and is not true.

I evaluate what others think, but I also take up the necessary burden of thinking for myself; I do not abdicate that responsibility to something outside myself like a deity.

(18-03-2015 12:59 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  What makes your standard any more right than someone who goes by a different standard than you?

Well, that depends on how you define 'right'. How do you evaluate the two standards? Because I can tell you right now that my standards involve objectively less blind obedience to authority than yours do, and I can cite plenty of reasons and examples of how such a system (authoritarianism) can and is abused, resulting in needless suffering of fellow human beings. If we were to judge our standards based on empathy, reason, logic, or evidence; I would handily come out ahead in any objective measurement.

I can supply reasons and evidence for the basis of my informed opinions. You offer blind adherence to ancient fables and cede your reason and your own thinking to other people long since dead. You are morally stagnate, representing a complete lack of ethical progress. There were whole societies with objectively better moral codes that existed long before even your ancient fables were created by men.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
18-03-2015, 03:27 PM
(18-03-2015 03:01 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 01:50 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Again, you are changing the scenario. The scenario wasn't "if you heard a voice in your head telling you to do x,y, and z, would you do it".

I note how you didn't actually explain what I asked you to. You didn't actually say how you can differentiate between God telling you to do something and you imagining God is telling you to do something.

Simple: Because he cannot distinguish between the two, so he needs to obfuscate in order to hide that fact.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
18-03-2015, 03:44 PM
(18-03-2015 01:10 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 08:27 AM)H4ym4n Wrote:  It's crazy to know people (that's a stretch) like this live amongst us.

Let's hope the only life god commands him to kill is his only.

If God commanded me to kill my only, then doesn't that mean that God exists? You people are so emotionally distraught over this that the logical absurdities are just crawling off of your fingertips left and right.

No, it means you are delusional.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post