Question about flood

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2015, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2015 07:08 PM by H4ym4n.)
RE: Question about flood
(18-03-2015 01:50 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Again, you are changing the scenario. The scenario wasn't "if you heard a voice in your head telling you to do x,y, and z, would you do it".

The scenario was "If God told you to kill your child, would you do it"...and the answer is HELL YEAH. If God is telling me to do something, then God exists.

Do you know what god looks like?

How would you be certain it was god and not its other son, satan, playing god?
That sounds more like what satan would ask you to do then jesus-god, no? if any of it was true that is.

I would tell god to fuck itself even though i would know it exists at that point. It's not like it's not planning on torturing me forever anyway.

And yet you praise and worship this monster.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes H4ym4n's post
18-03-2015, 09:57 PM
(17-03-2015 11:15 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  If God tells me to kill my child, he would obviously have a morally sufficient reason to do so, and I would do it.

Is this for real?!!!!!
If god 'told' you to kill your child you would do it... seriously, like SERIOUSLY?

I was never comfortable with the whole Abraham story, why would god ask someone to kill their own child to prove themselves, never, never sat well with me.

So how would you know it was god telling you? A booming voice in your head, a personal letter, how would such a message be delivered?
As for a morally sufficient reason to kill a child - it was going to grow up into a genocidal tyrant? Child rapist? The developer of the next generation of biological weapons/creator of an airborne AIDS virus? - what is a morally sufficient reason to murder not only A child, YOUR child?

The Abraham story is messed up but knowing there are people in this day and age that would actually follow these instructions to prove their obedience, that's pretty freaken scary. If I get an inkling that there is someone that thinks like that around my kid I'm getting a restraining order.

- Talking lions, magic wardrobes, witches with Turkish Delight - GOOD - Muggles, Quidditch and Dark Arts Lessons - BAD -
18-03-2015, 11:42 PM
(18-03-2015 09:57 PM)Nieko Sx Wrote:  Is this for real?!!!!!
If god 'told' you to kill your child you would do it... seriously, like SERIOUSLY?

Yeah, SERIOUSLY. When God tells you to do something, you do it first, ask questions later. I don't expect an atheist to understand this concept.

(18-03-2015 09:57 PM)Nieko Sx Wrote:  I was never comfortable with the whole Abraham story, why would god ask someone to kill their own child to prove themselves, never, never sat well with me.

And Abraham was going to do exactly what God told him to do, thereby showing himself approved. Its funny, because on atheism, there is no objective moral value, so killing someone is not objectively wrong anyway. So all of this emotionally charged nonsense you people are spewing is laughable. By what standard are atheists using to determine what is right and wrong?? On your view we are only animals anyway. So one animal kills another animal...it happens every day in the wild...ohhh, but we are civilized animals, so that changes everything, huh? Laugh out load

(18-03-2015 09:57 PM)Nieko Sx Wrote:  So how would you know it was god telling you? A booming voice in your head, a personal letter, how would such a message be delivered?

I don't know, but the scenario is that God is actually telling me...so if he is actually telling me, then the question of "how do I know" is irrelevant.

(18-03-2015 09:57 PM)Nieko Sx Wrote:  As for a morally sufficient reason to kill a child - it was going to grow up into a genocidal tyrant? Child rapist? The developer of the next generation of biological weapons/creator of an airborne AIDS virus? - what is a morally sufficient reason to murder not only A child, YOUR child?

It is not up to me to determine why God would command such a thing, but like I said, on the Christian view, there is God's view (the actual correct view), and man's view (potentially incorrect view). So on that note, I will go with the correct view, God's...and if God commanded me to kill my ONLY child, I would do it, because God would not command me to do something that is morally wrong.

(18-03-2015 09:57 PM)Nieko Sx Wrote:  The Abraham story is messed up but knowing there are people in this day and age that would actually follow these instructions to prove their obedience, that's pretty freaken scary. If I get an inkling that there is someone that thinks like that around my kid I'm getting a restraining order.

So basically, you are saying there are people out there this day and age that will follow the instructions of the Almighty Supreme Being and Ruler of the Universe? Yup, there are a lot of us out there, over a billion of people, in fact, that will do what God tells us to do regardless of what an "atheist" thinks or feels about it Laugh out load
18-03-2015, 11:49 PM
(18-03-2015 07:00 PM)H4ym4n Wrote:  Do you know what god looks like?

No.

(18-03-2015 07:00 PM)H4ym4n Wrote:  How would you be certain it was god and not its other son, satan, playing god?
That sounds more like what satan would ask you to do then jesus-god, no? if any of it was true that is.

You guys are continuing to move the goal posts. I was specifically asked "If God". Now all of a sudden it is "If Satan was playing God"? Dodgy

(18-03-2015 07:00 PM)H4ym4n Wrote:  I would tell god to fuck itself even though i would know it exists at that point. It's not like it's not planning on torturing me forever anyway.

I'm sure the opportunity will present itself, eventually Big Grin You will have your day in court, and then you can tell God just how you feel about him Laugh out load

(18-03-2015 07:00 PM)H4ym4n Wrote:  And yet you praise and worship this monster.

I don't know who "this monster" is. I worship and praise Jesus Christ, who is God in the flesh...and I also worship the Father, and Holy Spirit.
19-03-2015, 12:01 AM
(18-03-2015 04:29 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Hi. I'm coming into the discussion a little late here.

Which is much too soon.

(18-03-2015 04:29 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  This statement makes me feel queasy

Do what God tells you to do and leave your feelings at the front door.

(18-03-2015 04:29 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  , especially because you talk about murdering a child with such relish.

On atheism, God doesn't exist, so murdering a child would be no different than snapping the branch of a tree in half...that is how insignificant human life is on the grand scale of things considering life on earth is finite and we will all perish anyway.

(18-03-2015 04:29 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I gather that you take your morality exclusively from what you believe god commands, therefore even murder of an innocent is not immoral when god commands it.

If murder of an innocent is immoral, then an omnibenovolent God wouldn't command it, now would he? See how that works...now, if you give me a scenario at which an omnibenovelent God commands me to do something, then it follows logically that the command is morally just, since an omnibenovelent God cannot command an unjust action.

See how that works. Now, when I was asked the question, I was assuming that the command is coming from an omnibenevolent God (The Christian God), and therefore, of course I will do what God tells me to do.

But hey, you are an atheist, I don't expect you to understand.

(18-03-2015 04:29 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Is that the case? If so, I still don't understand how you could possibly feel enthusiastic about it.

I will do what God tells me to do. If you want to call that enthusiastic, then go ahead.

(18-03-2015 04:29 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  My question to you is, what about your empathy? Do you think that moral questions have nothing to do with harm and/or suffering?

I don't understand the question.
19-03-2015, 12:04 AM
(18-03-2015 04:44 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  However, what if he was telling you to do something as a test of your morality?

Lets ask Abraham.

(18-03-2015 04:44 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  What if he WANTS to you say no? By actually following it through, you not only would be failing the test but doing what he really didn't want in the end.

Edit: and how would you tell the difference?

So are you saying he will rebuke me by saying "You have sinned because you were going to follow my command"?
19-03-2015, 12:13 AM
(18-03-2015 05:09 PM)OddGamer Wrote:  So we're smuggling in definitions. God tells you "do X horrible thing" and because you've decided god = good you don't stop to re-evaluate if it's true.

First off, who decides what is "horrible" or not? You? God? Who? And unless you can tell me where you get your moral standards from, and how are your moral standards any better than anyone else, then you basically don't have an argument.

When you say "God commanding you to kill your child" is horrible, then you are making this statement based upon a certain standard of yours, but why is your standard the correct standard? What if my standard is different than yours? Which one is right/wrong?

Now, if you believe that certain things are wrong regardless of who thinks it is right, then you believe in objective morality, the problem is, this standard has to transcend the morality of man...and the only way you can get that kind of standard would be based upon a transcendent lawgiver...God.

(18-03-2015 05:09 PM)OddGamer Wrote:  There is literally nothing god could do to make you question if god is actually omnibenevolent. Which means you simply aren't open to evidence that you're wrong about any aspect of your blind faith.

Ahhh, and there is also nothing YOU can say that can adequately explain why killing your child is objectively wrong. See how that works?
19-03-2015, 12:16 AM
(18-03-2015 02:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  A green and blue Leprechaun told me to tell you you're a fucking idiot so HELL YEAH. "CotW, you're a fucking idiot." If my Leprechaun is telling me to do something, then Leprechaun's exist.

Facepalm

The guy that just said a green and blue leprechaun talks to him is calling me an idiot Laugh out load
19-03-2015, 12:20 AM
(18-03-2015 03:01 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I note how you didn't actually explain what I asked you to. You didn't actually say how you can differentiate between God telling you to do something and you imagining God is telling you to do something.

Well, I will put it to you this way, Robby...if what I am being told contradicts scripture, then I am imagining God telling me. But if what I am being told is in harmony with what Christ taught, then it gets God's stamp of approval.
19-03-2015, 12:34 AM
(18-03-2015 03:25 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Fucking hell, grow the fuck up you petulant retarded man-child. The world exists in more than just black and white, either/or absolutes. The problem is that dealing with a world full of grey requires thought, you actually have to think and do some work for yourself, it's nowhere near as remedial as having someone else make all of the hard decisions for you.

So you're not some special creation with a divine purpose made in the image of the creator of the universe? Get the fuck over it ya' pussy!

I have a question for ya, pimp; Once the sun burns out and the universe suffers a heat death and all life ceases to exist...and there is no life, all the way to the potentially infinite future <----now consider these words...let it marinate.

Now here is the question, based on that, what the FUCK difference would it make whether I killed a child or not???

(18-03-2015 03:25 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  So you're not special on a cosmic scale, therefore nothing has any meaning anywhere else?

Assuming that anything has meaning, ANYWHERE.

(18-03-2015 03:25 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  You really are stupid as fuck.

No, it is you that is stupid as fuck. BTW, I deleted all of that other crap that you had typed below...didn't even read the bullshit. So therefore, you typed it for nothing, and the sad part is you will never get the time that you typed it back.

But hey, that is life. Meaningless life Laugh out load