Question about flood

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2015, 09:42 AM
RE: Question about flood
(19-03-2015 04:49 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  1) why would you be banned? It isn't aginst forum rules to be an infanticidal idiot.

It isn't against the rules to speak out against racial discrimination, either. But yet Martin Luther King Jr. is no longer with us, is he?

(19-03-2015 06:13 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  2) So you are now comparing your "tribulation" here to Jesus? Right, even IF it were true, you aren't going to be killed for anything you say here.

I am not worthy enough to shake the hand of Jesus.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2015, 09:49 AM
(20-03-2015 09:42 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  I am not worthy enough to shake the hand of Jesus.

Why not? You would slit your kids throat if it asked you. Surly that's at the level of a handshake.
[+] 2 users Like H4ym4n's post
20-03-2015, 09:50 AM
(20-03-2015 09:14 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Fuck Jesus. Is that clear enough for you?

Not only is it clear, but it is also loud Laugh out load

(20-03-2015 09:14 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Even if some sort of God exists (a possibility I admit), he/she/it is certainly not the God of the Bible. The Bible is a story (and not even a very good story), and God and Jesus are both fictional characters. Read the fucking Bible sometime -- all of it, not just the parts that they spoon feed you in church. If the God described in the Bible is real (fat chance), I would rather go to Hell than spend eternity worshipping such an asshole. Got it?

I repeat: fuck Jesus. With a fucking cactus. And do yourself too while you're at it.

Thumbsup

Hey people, whenever you have doubt about whether there is a such thing as "free will"....look no further than the above post...as you can see, a man is clearly exercising his free will by freely rejecting the love and grace of Jesus Christ (God incarnate)...therefore, he will soon find out what it means to reject the Almighty.

I give two thumbs up ThumbsupThumbsup for the doctrine of free will Big Grin
20-03-2015, 09:53 AM
(20-03-2015 09:49 AM)H4ym4n Wrote:  Why not? You would slit your kids throat if it asked you. Surly that's at the level of a handshake.

You asked "Why not", and I will tell you. Jesus called John the Baptist the greatest man born of a woman. That is pretty high praise coming from Jesus, right?

But even though John the Baptist was so great, John the Baptist said that he isn't even worthy to untie the sandals of Jesus, so what does that say about Jesus?????

So if the greatest man born of a woman isn't worthy enough to untie the sandals of Jesus, then surely I am not worthy enough to shake the hand of Jesus.

That is "why not".
20-03-2015, 10:01 AM
Question about flood
(19-03-2015 09:23 PM)TheBear Wrote:  We know the Flood is true. We are told of a great flood in many ancient cultures .... who survived and wrote about it.

We have evidence of flooding events, but not a globally synchronous flood.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
20-03-2015, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2015 10:25 AM by H4ym4n.)
(20-03-2015 09:53 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 09:49 AM)H4ym4n Wrote:  Why not? You would slit your kids throat if it asked you. Surly that's at the level of a handshake.

You asked "Why not", and I will tell you. Jesus called John the Baptist the greatest man born of a woman. That is pretty high praise coming from Jesus, right?

But even though John the Baptist was so great, John the Baptist said that he isn't even worthy to untie the sandals of Jesus, so what does that say about Jesus?????

So if the greatest man born of a woman isn't worthy enough to untie the sandals of Jesus, then surely I am not worthy enough to shake the hand of Jesus.

That is "why not".

Jesus didn't ask John to bleed his kid out, did he?

You on the other hand will if asked. I would think that's worthy at the very least a handshake.

Do you have kids Call?

If God tells me to kill my child, he would obviously have a morally sufficient reason to do so, and I would do it. - Call_of_the_Wild

If God didn't exist, I would be a serial killer. Because without God, there is just no objective right or wrong - Call_of_the_Wild

20-03-2015, 10:49 AM
(19-03-2015 09:03 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I can create an imaginary god that has every attribute and power of a god that people claim exist.

Dude, when you create an imaginary god, you are required by the bylaws of the Prophets' Union to claim that that god exists. That's the difference between scripture and literature. Literature is just made-up stories. Scriptures are made-up stories that the author claims are true.

(19-03-2015 09:23 PM)TheBear Wrote:  We know the Flood is true. We are told of a great flood in many ancient cultures .... who survived and wrote about it.

Floods are universal. Anywhere there's enough water to support a civilization there will be floods. Thus, floods are a recurring theme in all literature. But the idea of a flood that covered the whole world is just plain silly. And the flood story in Genesis is more ridiculous than most.

However, a big flood SEEMS to cover the whole world when you are in the middle of it. I remember the time when I was living in Eastern North Dakota and the Red River overflowed its banks onto the bed of prehistoric Lake Agassiz. Driving to Fargo on the raised highway, it looked as though the entire world was water.

Big flood stories are inevitable. Believing Genesis as literal truth is beyond ridiculous.

The real issue, however, is that there are Christian sects so devoid of literary sense that they cannot conceive of an allegorical scripture. For them, God is so humorless, and so unimaginative, that he cannot possibly have used figurative speech or humor in his Book. And then they go further and put meanings into the Bible that were never there. An example is their apoplectic reaction to the massive evidence for evolution. Nowhere in the Bible does it say the God didn't use evolution as his means of creation, yet these close-minded preachers insist, not only that the Bible is literal, but that their own interpretation of the Bible is the only possible one. This is all the more hilarious when you notice that different sects of BIBLE LITERALISTS claim that the Bible says different things. Just as one small example, the Seventh-Day Adventists are BIBLE LITERALISTS who insist that there is no hell, while the Pentacostalists insist you will go to hell if you believe in God but you believe that evolution is the tool he used to create the diversity of species on the Earth.

It does make arguing with Bible-thumpers interesting, because they have so many different beliefs about what it is that the Bible says, that you have to ascertain what flavor of thumper you are talking to before you know what they think the Bible says. Of course, this is not too surprising, since the Bible is actually a collection of diverse ancient writings and you can find in it pretty much anything you want it to say.

I actually saw two Bible-thumpers come to blows over an argument about what the Bible actually said. The cops had to be called.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 3 users Like daniel1948's post
20-03-2015, 10:49 AM
(20-03-2015 10:05 AM)H4ym4n Wrote:  Jesus didn't ask John to bleed his kid out, did he?

Jesus didn't ask me, either.

(20-03-2015 10:05 AM)H4ym4n Wrote:  You on the other hand will if asked. I would think that's worthy at the very least a handshake.

I can't imagine myself telling the Almighty no to anything that is commanded of me.

(20-03-2015 10:05 AM)H4ym4n Wrote:  Do you have kids Call?

Yes.
20-03-2015, 10:56 AM
(19-03-2015 02:50 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Drug dealers kill to reduce the competition for drug sales...and?

It's not the same thing - the lions know they will die of starvation if they do not make a kill.

Quote:Survival of the fittest is their law? Who determines this? Them?

No, survival of the fittest is a law that has been used to describe the behaviour of animals in the wild.

Quote:What determines what is objectively right or objectively wrong, if there is objective morality?

Morality evolved because it contains survival value. Humans can be considered herd animals, so we as a society agree that murder should have repercussions. (In this case, laws to enforce order)

Quote:Humans are animals, according to your view..

Taxonomically, yes, humans (Homo Sapiens) are animals.

Quote:so a human killing another human is just an animal killing another animal.Nothing more, nothing less

Lions kill for survival - they do not take pleasure in killing and they have to kill quickly because they know a clan of hyenas are not too far away.

Quote:Again, you people are making it seem as if humans are somehow more special than any other animal...but based on what??

How do you come to that conclusion? Consider
20-03-2015, 11:10 AM
(19-03-2015 04:38 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  ...second, when God orders an execution, it is the death penalty. The death penalty is not malice murder, it is a just penalty for a crime that has been committed.

You mean for "crimes" like blowing it onto the floor instead of in your dead brother's wife who was just killed by god?
Like for "bringing the wrong kind of fire" to the altar?
Like calling someone bald?
Like for touching the ark while trying to keep it from falling over?
For looking over your shoulder?
For being raped?

Our society has better morals than this, thus demonstrating that we did not get our morality from this wicked construct.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post