Question about human cloning.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Question about human cloning.
How would cloning humans help in treating deseases? I mean, wouldn't the cloned human have the same bad genes as the original person, and the same potential illness?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2012, 01:02 PM
RE: Question about human cloning.
I don't know about cloning humans, but cloning a body part could be potentially life saving since there is often a shortage of organ donors, plus there is an almost non existent risk of rejection since the cloned organs will be made from the patients own cells.

As for the problems they could be screened out or even corrected to produce a healthier organ.

Cloning has problems associated with it which is why something like stem cells would be a better route to go down.
29-12-2012, 04:08 AM
I'm going to be cloned, I think it will work out very well. I can have one FZU, doing his daily routine, while the other is sleeping- and have a rotation, so one is awake, one is not. I could clone myself a whole bunch of times, and eventually establish an army, since we all think alike, there will be no need for discussion. I'm starting a fund raiser for the development of this technology, a lot of government grants and a little bit of cash in my stash- we will make this happen. Think it's not real? it's going to be very real when you look out your window and I am standing there watching you.

I done forgot what this is all about, but I think you get the idea.
29-12-2012, 10:13 AM
*primes nuke just incase*
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
29-12-2012, 10:22 AM
(29-12-2012 04:08 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  I'm going to be cloned, I think it will work out very well. I can have one FZU, doing his daily routine, while the other is sleeping- and have a rotation, so one is awake, one is not. I could clone myself a whole bunch of times, and eventually establish an army, since we all think alike, there will be no need for discussion. I'm starting a fund raiser for the development of this technology, a lot of government grants and a little bit of cash in my stash- we will make this happen. Think it's not real? it's going to be very real when you look out your window and I am standing there watching you.

Interesting scenario, but there are a few problems with that. How do you ensure that your clones have the same age as you do? Current technology allows you to at most create an army of baby clones. Even so, how do you ensure that your clones will think alike. And finally, will you have a process that allows thought transferal? Otherwise based on the rotation system you proposed each clone will have varying experiences and thoughts. Just a few cents Smile

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
29-12-2012, 10:32 AM
(27-12-2012 12:33 PM)Vlad Wrote:  How would cloning humans help in treating deseases? I mean, wouldn't the cloned human have the same bad genes as the original person, and the same potential illness?
Okay, lets have a go shall we? Please excuse my writing, it is of shear boredom and I am admittedly not well studied in this area.

One with the first question.
Cloning humans (or parts of them) could potentially aid in the treatment and potential eradication of diseases in several ways. First of all, it creates the possibility of a viable, direct to human testing subjects, instead of going through similar creatures such as mice, rats or other lab animals. It could also aid in understanding genetic diseases and abnormalities, we can watch it form in the clone, knowing that, if the clone is a perfect genetic replication, it will happen eventually as it had in the original. We monitor and test, and effectively have a clean slate to work off of.
Of course, cloning parts of humans would be even more beneficial; cloning vital organs would likely cut transplant lists down to size in several years. Not to mention once again experimentation possibilities.

As for the second question/point: Possibly. It could work for use in the case of studying how a abnormality within the genes of the original person had formed by watching it's development in the clone. And like I said, it gives you a blank slate to work with.

I can only hope that FZU's clone (assuming his plan ever comes to fruition) does not act or think like he does. One is already past my limit, thank you very much.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
29-12-2012, 02:50 PM
(29-12-2012 10:22 AM)robotworld Wrote:  
(29-12-2012 04:08 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  I'm going to be cloned, I think it will work out very well. I can have one FZU, doing his daily routine, while the other is sleeping- and have a rotation, so one is awake, one is not. I could clone myself a whole bunch of times, and eventually establish an army, since we all think alike, there will be no need for discussion. I'm starting a fund raiser for the development of this technology, a lot of government grants and a little bit of cash in my stash- we will make this happen. Think it's not real? it's going to be very real when you look out your window and I am standing there watching you.

Interesting scenario, but there are a few problems with that. How do you ensure that your clones have the same age as you do? Current technology allows you to at most create an army of baby clones. Even so, how do you ensure that your clones will think alike. And finally, will you have a process that allows thought transferal? Otherwise based on the rotation system you proposed each clone will have varying experiences and thoughts. Just a few cents Smile
Part of the funding will go to raising the babies, buying chinese mothers to fit the budget, I would have to teach the chinese mothers english too I guess. Once the clones are of age, they will be put to hard labour, preparing for the war effort. Although this may be hard, since I hate being told what to do. If these guys are as identically smart as me, why would they take orders from me?

Nevermind, I don't want to do it.
29-12-2012, 05:40 PM
(29-12-2012 02:50 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  
(29-12-2012 10:22 AM)robotworld Wrote:  Interesting scenario, but there are a few problems with that. How do you ensure that your clones have the same age as you do? Current technology allows you to at most create an army of baby clones. Even so, how do you ensure that your clones will think alike. And finally, will you have a process that allows thought transferal? Otherwise based on the rotation system you proposed each clone will have varying experiences and thoughts. Just a few cents Smile
Part of the funding will go to raising the babies, buying chinese mothers to fit the budget, I would have to teach the chinese mothers english too I guess. Once the clones are of age, they will be put to hard labour, preparing for the war effort. Although this may be hard, since I hate being told what to do. If these guys are as identically smart as me, why would they take orders from me?

The personality of your clones can be altered based on environmental influence since conception: what the mother consumes, the mother's genetics (even though she is a surrogate), the environment the child is raised in... etc. Identically smart? It also depends on the environment as well Smile If you have a possible way to standardize all these, you could make an obedient clone army.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
29-12-2012, 06:25 PM
(29-12-2012 05:40 PM)robotworld Wrote:  
(29-12-2012 02:50 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Part of the funding will go to raising the babies, buying chinese mothers to fit the budget, I would have to teach the chinese mothers english too I guess. Once the clones are of age, they will be put to hard labour, preparing for the war effort. Although this may be hard, since I hate being told what to do. If these guys are as identically smart as me, why would they take orders from me?

The personality of your clones can be altered based on environmental influence since conception: what the mother consumes, the mother's genetics (even though she is a surrogate), the environment the child is raised in... etc. Identically smart? It also depends on the environment as well Smile If you have a possible way to standardize all these, you could make an obedient clone army.
'Nature' always find a way to provide intra-specific variability. hehe

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes tiagorod84's post