Question about mtDNA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2016, 05:18 PM
RE: Question about mtDNA
(08-05-2016 03:09 PM)carol Wrote:  The "23 and me" site finds them and lists them for you as part of it's service to you. That is why I picked it- you can decide if/when you would like contact and the amount of contact you would like...
Just to make sure (I'm half-asleep), you can tell them that certain people can't contact you? I have some that I know I share genes with that I no longer want contact with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2016, 05:25 PM
(08-05-2016 05:18 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(08-05-2016 03:09 PM)carol Wrote:  The "23 and me" site finds them and lists them for you as part of it's service to you. That is why I picked it- you can decide if/when you would like contact and the amount of contact you would like...
Just to make sure (I'm half-asleep), you can tell them that certain people can't contact you? I have some that I know I share genes with that I no longer want contact with.

Yes, you will only have contact with them if both people agree to it- they can request, and so can you- to have contact, but both people need to agree to contact and if one person does not agree to share information it will not happen. Also, they will not know your name/address or where you live unless you share those things with them. The site allows you to control your privacy settings too.

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post
08-05-2016, 10:10 PM
(08-05-2016 02:55 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My step-grandfather was a railroad engineer and traveled all over the place between Canada and the USA. He even worked in Panama on a railroad there. Somewhere in his travels he picked up my mother. He would have been about 55 years old when he took my mother in and was widowed at the time. He would leave her with underpaid housekeepers in his home in Canada while he traveled on the railroad for months. The housekeepers would skip town and leave her all alone. She came close to starving sometimes until her stepfather would return to find her alone and in horrible health. He did later remarried but this woman is also dead. When my mom was 19 her stepfather died in a Burlesque theatre, drinking whisky and watching naked women. Laugh out load Thumbsup

That's probably one of the better ways to check out.

A very odd story and I hope that you can find some of the answers.

It sounds like a full sequence is probably your best bet. They've definitely come down in price and sound like they'll give you a reasonable chance of finding her distant relatives. You can probably trace her origins from there.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.