Question about the "J", "E", "P", "R", "D", and the "changed Old Testament".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2013, 02:48 PM
RE: Question about the "J", "E", "P", "R", "D", and the "changed Old Testament".
Quote:Actually, it does not. As archaeologists will tell you--since you be tossing about strawmen allow me to toss in a few meself!--that biblical religion was not the religion of the masses. I refer you, again, to the reference above.
Aw, do I have to read a book of baloney? Are you incapable of telling us all in a few sentences what it's main thesis is? Surely it will disagree with three other theses we can find online in five or ten seconds. For example, BB getting annoyed when I refute the videos posted describing Yahweh as a Canaananite appropriated name to instill your theory of Babylonian derivation. Which is it? A linguistic Canaanite root or a Babylonish route?
Quote:Unfortunately, that is not the most ignorant reply I have seen to evidence asked for and given.
Naturally, you excerpted my Wink as I was being facetious. There are no Israelite Yahweh statues in Israel, the most archaeologically explored nation on earth, except for one possible "Yahweh weds Ashtoreth" piece of garbage BB was asking about. There should be stele, statues, etc, etc.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2013, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 11:09 PM by Doctor X.)
RE: Question about the "J", "E", "P", "R", "D", and the "changed Old Testament".

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
25-03-2013, 03:37 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2013 11:28 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Here's Yahweh's wife. She was worshiped and statues have been found of her at Dan, Beth-el, and in Jerusalem. She was important enough and pissed off some of the prophets enough that they had to actively oppose her, for example in Jeremiah.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asherah
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/22...39226.html
http://news.discovery.com/history/religi...110318.htm
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Asherah

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-03-2013, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 12:48 AM by Doctor X.)
Tongue RE: Question about the "J", "E", "P", "R", "D", and the "changed Old Testament".

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
26-03-2013, 07:45 AM
Quote:Argumentum ad hominem: if you consider the research by a celebrated Professor of Old Testament Exegesis and Religious History of the Biblical World at the University of Fribourg as well as a Senior Lecturer in the same department with with over thirty pages of references and over 300 figures giving examples "baloney," then, well your ignorance is not merely willful it proves pathological.
It's not ad hominem if it is BS, however, like many of the examples you dredge up, Doctor. I know without reading it is without acceptance among all peers, because we Christians know about whatever the latest and most trumpeted BS theories are coming from secular academia. Like when I told some pals BB's theory that the prophets were not to tell the future. ROFL. As for this text, I would not reject it if you can sum it for me so I know what I'm looking for. And, you also display your ignorance about academia if you're unaware that some scholars are legit and some pad their work with baloney. Or are academics sacrosanct and above, say NY Times authors and editors. Bu-bu-but this writer isn't a Christian, so they wo-wo-wouldn't possibly distort their work and present biased evidence!
Quote:I did, son. Apparently you could not read that either.
Please rephrase so us mere mortals can understand. It read like "Yahweh" is a Babylonian god, which implies that the conquered decided to revere the god who butchered their wives and children and exiled them in diaspora. That doesn't seem a bit loony to you? Really?
Quote:I thought it was the causative imperfect of the Canaanite-Proto-Hebrew verb hwy, "to be!" {You're fooling yourself! We're living in a dictatorship!} [Stop that!--Ed.]. Actually, no, but a discussion of the origin of "YHWH" is not relevant currently. Feel free to open a thread on that.
My point exactly. BB disagrees with you and his own pet theories he pushes. Bu-bu-but, I'm the Doctor, and the Doctor knows best!
Quote:Why should there be extant "statues?"

There are, incidentally, figurines of a number of gods and goddesses. Place is rather teeming with them. You would know this if you had looked at the reference you dismissed to irresponsibly.
Um, uh-duh. And arguably ONE of Yahweh though the place "teems", demonstrating that NO IDOLS OF YAHWEH was entrenched in tradition if not Mosaic Law long before your professors claim Torah was written. I know you're not that open minded to consider a logical theory, but, like, c'mon!
Quote:"There should?" You rather retroject your religion upon the ancient.
Again, they're not there. Boo hoo!
26-03-2013, 08:12 AM
(26-03-2013 07:45 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Like when I told some pals BB's theory that the prophets were not to tell the future. ROFL.

It amazing how blatantly some people can trumet their obvious lack of exposure to mainline scholarship. The fact that he never heard this speak more than I could ever say. He's a fundie, in a fundie vacuum. No one in my class would blink, if they heard this. It's common knowledge among mainline scholars. SPJTJ's entire religion is based on soothsaything/diviniation coming true. How patetic and sad.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
26-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Quote:It amazing how blatantly some people can trumet their obvious lack of exposure to mainline scholarship. The fact that he never heard this speak more than I could ever say. He's a fundie, in a fundie vacuum. No one in my class would blink, if they heard this. It's common knowledge among mainline scholars. SPJTJ's entire religion is based on soothsaything/diviniation coming true. How patetic and sad.
Um, more special pleading from BB:
[*]appeals to "common knowledge" that bypass supporting dataExample: Everyone knows you can catch a common cold from exposure to a chill.
  • assertion that the opponent lacks the qualifications necessary to comprehend a point of view
Example: I know you think that quantum mechanics does not always make sense. There are things about quantum mechanics that you don't have the education to understand.
PS. I'm busy enough trying to keep up with other BS in other academic disciplines. The idea that is being peddled that the Jews worshipped the god who took them captive, raped them and put their eyes out after destroying their temple and pillaging their relices--commemorated still as Tisha B'Av, is ludicrous on its face.
26-03-2013, 09:03 AM
He STILL has not looked up "special pleading". What a fool.
The fact that the Jews worshed Ashera, and JEREMIAH ralied against that, just proves SexuallyPleasingJebusJokeTroll never really read the OT.
Have you ever thought of going to : Intro to the Bible for Seniors, SPJJT ? Tongue

26-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Quote:He STILL has not looked up "special pleading". What a fool.
The fact that the Jews worshed Ashera, and JEREMIAH ralied against that, just proves SexuallyPleasingJebusJokeTroll never really read the OT.
Have you ever thought of going to : Intro to the Bible for Seniors, SPJJT ?
Of course I have:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_pleading
Special pleading, claiming I've never "really read" the OT: claims to data that are inherently unverifiable, perhaps because too remote or impossible to define clearly; assertion that the opponent lacks the qualifications necessary to comprehend a point of view; appeals to "common knowledge" that bypass supporting data not to mention - unexplained claims of exemption from principles commonly thought relevant to the subject matter...
...In this case, you're denying the obvious facts. That the Asherah worship was a warned-against syncretism as recorded in the Law and the prophets. But they were still to have One God, and that injunctive is surely consistent across both testaments. You're the one conflating incidents of Asherah worship with your special pleading. Not to mention that you continue to bleat like a spoilt child. Follow through on your threat to put me on ignore, it's not a loss. I'll continue with those who 1) want to have some serious interchange 2) use facts, knowledge, logic and philosophy, not name calling and the behavior of a non-toilet trained infant.
26-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Jeopardy! I love that game. You spelled it wrong. Just sayin'. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein