Question about the "J", "E", "P", "R", "D", and the "changed Old Testament".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2013, 12:54 PM
RE: Question about the "J", "E", "P", "R", "D", and the "changed Old Testament".
(10-03-2013 12:42 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's for discussion, not proselytizing. Dodgy
I don't see a difference. You have the real deal right here. Are you guys just preparing for what to say if you see Christians or do you want a real experience? Is this just for Atheists patting each other on the back or do you want to engage a Bible believing Christian?

You have a cognitive problem if you can't see the difference.

We engage all manner of theists here, but proselytizing is not engagement, it's talking at people.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-03-2013, 01:01 PM
RE: Question about the "J", "E", "P", "R", "D", and the "changed Old Testament".
(10-03-2013 12:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:42 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  I don't see a difference. You have the real deal right here. Are you guys just preparing for what to say if you see Christians or do you want a real experience? Is this just for Atheists patting each other on the back or do you want to engage a Bible believing Christian?

You have a cognitive problem if you can't see the difference.

We engage all manner of theists here, but proselytizing is not engagement, it's talking at people.
I believe you are mistaken. It is the process of debate and converting someone to a belief system, whether mine, yours, or his, or hers. There is certainly give and take in that process. Is that not what is happening here in this forum? Isn't that what you want?
Find all posts by this user
10-03-2013, 01:42 PM
(10-03-2013 01:01 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  You have a cognitive problem if you can't see the difference.

I believe you are mistaken. It is the process of debate and converting someone to a belief system, whether mine, yours, or his, or hers. There is certainly give and take in that process. Is that not what is happening here in this forum? Isn't that what you want?
That may be what is happening, but that is not what most of us are here for. I didn't come here to convert you, I came here to discuss what I know and get feedback from others. Yes, there is give and take in any conversation, but I am not trying to tell you that you should be one way or the other.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
10-03-2013, 01:57 PM
(10-03-2013 01:42 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 01:01 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  I believe you are mistaken. It is the process of debate and converting someone to a belief system, whether mine, yours, or his, or hers. There is certainly give and take in that process. Is that not what is happening here in this forum? Isn't that what you want?
That may be what is happening, but that is not what most of us are here for. I didn't come here to convert you, I came here to discuss what I know and get feedback from others. Yes, there is give and take in any conversation, but I am not trying to tell you that you should be one way or the other.
In the other thread you posted you wanted to help knock down the house of cards of religion. Do I need to quote you? Sounds to me like what I described above. I do not care what you do, I will give suggestions. Do what you like.
10-03-2013, 02:03 PM
(10-03-2013 01:57 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 01:42 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  That may be what is happening, but that is not what most of us are here for. I didn't come here to convert you, I came here to discuss what I know and get feedback from others. Yes, there is give and take in any conversation, but I am not trying to tell you that you should be one way or the other.
In the other thread you posted you wanted to help knock down the house of cards of religion. Do I need to quote you? Sounds to me like what I described above. I do not care what you do, I will give suggestions. Do what you like.
Don't twist my words....I said I was excited to finally be able to speak up about my atheism. Someone said speaking up helps to bring the bullshit of religion to light and I basically said I'm proud to be a part of that. I do not, however, have any reason to try to persuade anyone to become an atheist. I have gained nothing from it and it is simply something I do for myself because I refuse to believe in any type of god. If a person is an atheist, that's cool....if they are theist that's cool too. But I do believe religion is a HUGE problem across the world and that everything would be better if it didn't exist in the first place...so if I can play a very tiny role in the inevitable extinction of religion many, many years down the line I'm all for it.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
[+] 2 users Like kellyrm's post
10-03-2013, 04:23 PM
(10-03-2013 10:35 AM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  
(09-03-2013 12:06 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  You're probably not stupid, you're just ignorant about your religion. And you're so sure you're not, you've closed your mind off. Until you demonstrate some open-mindedness, you'll never be taken seriously (here). The ball is in your court.
I am not looking for your approval or here to learn anything from you. I am here to enlighten.
Ah ha!

Until you change that attitude, you'll get ZERO respect here. You'll just be told to fuck off. Get it?

There's a preacher on every corner who JUST KNOWS how good it feels to believe in Jeebus. They NEED TO SHARE THE GOOD NEWS. They're more boring than bat shit, not very bright and totally brainwashed. That's you, my friend.

It's ok that you're a Christian...but not that you preach, and particularly not if you're closed minded. If you have something new, interesting or factual to say, you'll have an audience. You won't if you try to convert.
[+] 4 users Like Mark Fulton's post
10-03-2013, 05:27 PM
(10-03-2013 12:10 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  I do the easy work.
I'm here to enlighten you.

Be sure and let us know when (or if), that starts. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-03-2013, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2013 05:27 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(08-03-2013 08:51 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  [Ignoring your continued ad hominems, do you feel you know more about the Bible than Billy Graham?

Translation: I'm too uneducated to know the difference between somebody attacking me personally in place of an argument (a true ad hominen), and somebody delivering well deserved insults on top of a solid argument (what Bucky Ball does).

(08-03-2013 09:02 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  If you want me to read that you better address me with more respect. Try again.

Translation: I'm going to feign being offended, because it's easier than actually reading what you wrote and attempting to actually learn something. This is a poor attempt to maintain my perceived 'moral high-ground', even though I lost it the moment I posted in this thread.

(08-03-2013 09:10 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  It's quite apparent you are very angry Bucky. Look deep at your life and see why you are unhappy. There is more to life than nothingness. Your soul is of infinite worth. Take care friend. Smile

Translation: This is an actual ad hominen attack, with no counter argument, just condescension veiled in false modesty and caring. I hope nobody catches on to my hypocritical bullshit.

(08-03-2013 09:25 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  Come on, you are better than this, right? You guys seem to want to insult Christians more than debate them. Is it like this in real life for you with people in everything you disagree with? What is it about Christianity that makes you so ill?

Translation: Instead of facing my own ignorance, rather I'll deflect with emotional attacks instead of answering the real questions.

(08-03-2013 09:53 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  I'm not upset. I do find it funny though that the crowd of so called open minded people resort to insinuations of stupidity when they are confronted with a believer. Knowledge of scripture to me and you likely mean different things. You are a critic, however I am a believer. I know what scripture actually says and means. You devote time to poke holes in religion. That's fine. I am here just to have a good time and debate. I am not really interested in the critique of blah blah blah, although I will give the believers take if I feel like it. My interests are more in philosophy. But anyway, lighten up you guys and try to have some fun. Goodnight.

Translation: Well fuck, how about another ad hominen attack? Did that work? Shit. Better pull the Philosophy card so I don't have to learn any actual history, and can remain happily ignorant about the current state of modern archeology and biblical studies. Anyways, I KNOW I'm right, Jesus tells me so every time I post here.

(10-03-2013 10:35 AM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  I am not looking for your approval or here to learn anything from you. I am here to enlighten.

Translation: I'm here to tell (preach) at you all of the shit that's been unquestionably crammed into my head every Sunday for the last 20+ years. SURELY if they only hear it coming from a TRUE BELIEVER they will all convert to the one true belief! Or at least, that's what Jesus tells me when I post here.

(10-03-2013 11:03 AM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  Here is a fact. Seek and ye shall find. You must seek God with all your heart, soul, and mind. Get on your hands and knees and pray for a sign. It will be given to you.

Translation: Give me a minute to put on my God Glasses™ and, how about I spout off a bunch of pseudo-sounding intellectual crap to hide just how uneducated I really am.

(10-03-2013 12:03 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  Well, here I am 20 years later and have come to witness to you. Coincidence? Were you reading the word?

Translation: I am such a strong believer, I see the hand of God in everything! Why just last weekend I saw the face of the Virgin Mary in my breakfast toast! Praise be to Jesus!

(10-03-2013 12:10 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  I do the easy work. The work of thawing the heart is for the Spirit.

Translation: This is my 'Get Out of Jail Free' card. If I can't change your mind, it's not because I have bad arguments, it's because the Holy Spirit hasn't worked it magic on you like it has me! This allows me to fail, without taking responsibility for it, yay!

(10-03-2013 12:42 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  I don't see a difference. You have the real deal right here. Are you guys just preparing for what to say if you see Christians or do you want a real experience? Is this just for Atheists patting each other on the back or do you want to engage a Bible believing Christian?

Translation: I am the person on the bus that everybody LOVES to sit next to. Every conversation turns into a Jesus parade when I'm around!

(10-03-2013 01:01 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  I believe you are mistaken. It is the process of debate and converting someone to a belief system, whether mine, yours, or his, or hers. There is certainly give and take in that process. Is that not what is happening here in this forum? Isn't that what you want?

Translation: I still don't get the difference between a discussion, a debate, and lying for Jesus.

(10-03-2013 01:57 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  In the other thread you posted you wanted to help knock down the house of cards of religion. Do I need to quote you? Sounds to me like what I described above. I do not care what you do, I will give suggestions. Do what you like.

Translation: I'll stick with begging the question, because quote mining is just too much actual work.

To MrBuddy (or, 'a note to the slow')

This is not an ad hominen, this is satire.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
10-03-2013, 11:21 PM
(10-03-2013 10:38 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 08:51 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  [Ignoring your continued ad hominems, do you feel you know more about the Bible than Billy Graham?

Translation: I'm too uneducated to know the difference between somebody attacking me personally in place of an argument (a true ad hominen), and somebody delivering well deserved insults on top of a solid argument (what Bucky Ball does).

(08-03-2013 09:02 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  If you want me to read that you better address me with more respect. Try again.

Translation: I'm going to feign being offended, because it's easier than actually reading what you read and attempting to actually learn something. This is a poor attempt to maintain my perceived 'moral high-ground', even though I lost it the moment I posted in this thread.

(08-03-2013 09:10 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  It's quite apparent you are very angry Bucky. Look deep at your life and see why you are unhappy. There is more to life than nothingness. Your soul is of infinite worth. Take care friend. Smile

Translation: This is an actual ad hominen attack, with no counter argument, just condensation veiled in false modesty and caring. I hope nobody catches on to my hypocritical bullshit.

(08-03-2013 09:25 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  Come on, you are better than this, right? You guys seem to want to insult Christians more than debate them. Is it like this in real life for you with people in everything you disagree with? What is it about Christianity that makes you so ill?

Translation: Instead of facing my own ignorance, I'll instead deflect with emotional attacks instead of answering the real questions.

(08-03-2013 09:53 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  I'm not upset. I do find it funny though that the crowd of so called open minded people resort to insinuations of stupidity when they are confronted with a believer. Knowledge of scripture to me and you likely mean different things. You are a critic, however I am a believer. I know what scripture actually says and means. You devote time to poke holes in religion. That's fine. I am here just to have a good time and debate. I am not really interested in the critique of blah blah blah, although I will give the believers take if I feel like it. My interests are more in philosophy. But anyway, lighten up you guys and try to have some fun. Goodnight.

Translation: Well fuck, how about another ad hominen attack? Did that work? Shit. Better pull the Philosophy card so I don't have to learn any actual history, and can remain happily ignorant about the current state of modern archeology and biblical studies. Anyways, I KNOW I'm right, Jesus tells me so every time I post here.

(10-03-2013 10:35 AM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  I am not looking for your approval or here to learn anything from you. I am here to enlighten.

Translation: I'm here to tell preach at you all of the shit that's been unquestionably crammed into my head every Sunday for the lest 20+ years. SURELY if they only hear it coming from a TRUE BELIEVER they will all convert to the one true belief! Or at least, that's what Jesus tells me when I post here.

(10-03-2013 11:03 AM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  Here is a fact. Seek and ye shall find. You must seek God with all your heart, soul, and mind. Get on your hands and knees and pray for a sign. It will be given to you.

Translation: Give me a minute to put on my God Glasses™ and, how about I spout off a bunch of pseudo-sounding intellectual crap to hide just how uneducated I really am.

(10-03-2013 12:03 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  Well, here I am 20 years later and have come to witness to you. Coincidence? Were you reading the word?

Translation: I am such a strong believer, I see the hand of God in everything! Why just last weekend I saw the face of the Virgin Mary in my breakfast toast! Praise be to Jesus!

(10-03-2013 12:10 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  I do the easy work. The work of thawing the heart is for the Spirit.

Translation: This is my 'Get Out of Jail Free' card. If I can't change you mind, it's not because I have bad arguments, it's because the Holy Spirit hasn't worked it magic on you like it has me! This allows me to fail, without taking responsibility for it, yay!

Translation: I the person on the bus that everybody LOVES to sit next to. Every conversation turns into a Jesus parade when I'm around!

Translation: I still don't get the difference between a discussion, a debate, and lying for Jesus.

(10-03-2013 01:57 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  In the other thread you posted you wanted to help knock down the house of cards of religion. Do I need to quote you? Sounds to me like what I described above. I do not care what you do, I will give suggestions. Do what you like.

Translation: I'll stick with begging the question, because quote mining is just too much actual work.

To MrBuddy (or, 'a note to the slow')

This is not an ad hominen, this is satire.

he won't digest any of this, but I'm sure everyone else enjoyed it. Thanks!
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
11-03-2013, 03:25 AM
(08-03-2013 08:51 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  
(08-03-2013 08:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Troll is too ignorant even to respond to. It is NOT "accepted theology" . The 132 semonary professors, Baptist Methodist, Catholic and many other theologians, and conservative scholars whom participated the the writing of "the Iterpreter's Bible" all agreed with the Documentary Hypothesis. I realize for those who drank the cool-aid, this may come as a shock. This is a perfect example why Bart Ehrman says "if the public only knew what is being taught in seminaries and University centers of scholarship". I learned the Documentary Hypothesis from a PhD PRIEST, and every one of my Harvard professors agrees it is mostly valid. I repeat, this troll has NO KNOWLEDGE of scripture, has never taken even 1 class in it, and displays an astounding amount of ignorance. Basically has a 3rd Grade Sunday School level of knowledge. I await his banning. (Try reading the books I suggested by real Biblical scholars. The "truth" is not only in the posession of those who are stupid beliebers.
Ignoring your continued ad hominems, do you feel you know more about the Bible than Billy Graham?
This is classic...Christopher Hitchens on Billy Graham...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1hl2jdfIiA
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post