Question about the "J", "E", "P", "R", "D", and the "changed Old Testament".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2013, 09:31 AM
RE: Question about the "J", "E", "P", "R", "D", and the "changed Old Testament".
(15-03-2013 08:48 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Oh, I read that blog yesterday in full. There are a lot of holes in it but more importantly, let's start with an agreement. I agree with you that there are a lot of Christians with real issues. Jesus saves all kinds of people. Smart people and dumb. Neurotic, troubled and confident, etc. And? My point still stands that it IS about whether you have a relationship with Jesus. I've worked in entertainment a bunch also. I have a friend who is setting a date to visit my house to watch a movie with me because he wants my commentary--I've been to X location, Y actor had lunch with me last year, Z director said this, etc. Kind of a silly request and I might honor it or might just invite him to a lecture I'm giving on that genre of film this summer. My point? Knowing Jesus Christ, the very mind and heart of God, enhances any understanding of the Word of God, the Holy Bible. Just like a regular author's chat or "Inside the Actor's Studio" adds a little or a lot more to understanding. That point is still valid.

Translation: Confirmation bias and anecdotal evidence is good enough for me, why are you demanding evidence for your beliefs?

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2013, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2013 10:02 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Question about the "J", "E", "P", "R", "D", and the "changed Old Testament".
(15-03-2013 08:48 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:Well done realising that many people are thoroughly sick of having Jeebus shoved down their throats.

I hear it that you're convinced re miracles and prayers being answered etc. Please digest what DR and AS have said. I'm sure you can appreciate that "stories" about such things are a dime a dozen.

You sound like you care about people, and that you genuinely think that telling them about Jesus is in their interests. I even accept that some people may get some benefit out of the process of being "born again."

I am a doctor of medicine and have 20 years experience in helping people live happy, healthy, meaningful lives. My experience is the opposite to yours. I often have to "pick up the pieces" after people have had a lifetime of Christian indoctrination. I'm talking about depression, anxiety, guilt, irrational thinking, paranoia and psycho-sexual issues. I don't "preach" atheism, (that's too confronting for most of them), yet I often have to spend many sessions with them to "undo" some of the damage. It's amazing how often the roots of their problems go back to unhealthy Christian teachings that were promoted during their childhoods.

I've written a blog about this, and over a thousand (random) people have "liked" it. Please read it at http://www.markfulton.org/the-psychologi...ristianity . I would be very interested in your feedback.
Oh, I read that blog yesterday in full. There are a lot of holes in it but more importantly, let's start with an agreement. I agree with you that there are a lot of Christians with real issues. Jesus saves all kinds of people. Smart people and dumb. Neurotic, troubled and confident, etc. And? My point still stands that it IS about whether you have a relationship with Jesus. I've worked in entertainment a bunch also. I have a friend who is setting a date to visit my house to watch a movie with me because he wants my commentary--I've been to X location, Y actor had lunch with me last year, Z director said this, etc. Kind of a silly request and I might honor it or might just invite him to a lecture I'm giving on that genre of film this summer. My point? Knowing Jesus Christ, the very mind and heart of God, enhances any understanding of the Word of God, the Holy Bible. Just like a regular author's chat or "Inside the Actor's Studio" adds a little or a lot more to understanding. That point is still valid.

Jebus "saves" no one. And anyone that thinks they have a relationship with a dead guy from 2000 years ago is delusional. Now all ya gotta do is prove any of your crap. The whole "salvation" thingy was cooked up later, and Jebus never talked about it. And before you start with the Babble quotes, you're gonna have to prove he actually said anything.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Quote:Well done realising that many people are thoroughly sick of having Jeebus shoved down their throats.

I hear it that you're convinced re miracles and prayers being answered etc. Please digest what DR and AS have said. I'm sure you can appreciate that "stories" about such things are a dime a dozen.

You sound like you care about people, and that you genuinely think that telling them about Jesus is in their interests. I even accept that some people may get some benefit out of the process of being "born again."

I am a doctor of medicine and have 20 years experience in helping people live happy, healthy, meaningful lives. My experience is the opposite to yours. I often have to "pick up the pieces" after people have had a lifetime of Christian indoctrination. I'm talking about depression, anxiety, guilt, irrational thinking, paranoia and psycho-sexual issues. I don't "preach" atheism, (that's too confronting for most of them), yet I often have to spend many sessions with them to "undo" some of the damage. It's amazing how often the roots of their problems go back to unhealthy Christian teachings that were promoted during their childhoods.

I've written a blog about this, and over a thousand (random) people have "liked" it. Please read it at http://www.markfulton.org/the-psychologi...ristianity . I would be very interested in your feedback.
Oh, I read that blog yesterday in full. There are a lot of holes in it but more importantly, let's start with an agreement. I agree with you that there are a lot of Christians with real issues. Jesus saves all kinds of people. Smart people and dumb. Neurotic, troubled and confident, etc. And? My point still stands that it IS about whether you have a relationship with Jesus. I've worked in entertainment a bunch also. I have a friend who is setting a date to visit my house to watch a movie with me because he wants my commentary--I've been to X location, Y actor had lunch with me last year, Z director said this, etc. Kind of a silly request and I might honor it or might just invite him to a lecture I'm giving on that genre of film this summer. My point? Knowing Jesus Christ, the very mind and heart of God, enhances any understanding of the Word of God, the Holy Bible. Just like a regular author's chat or "Inside the Actor's Studio" adds a little or a lot more to understanding. That point is still valid.
You've misunderstood what I've said.

Jesus is the CAUSE of these people's problems, not the solution.

Tell me about the holes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
16-03-2013, 04:35 AM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2013 04:40 AM by Mark Fulton.)

You wrote
"Knowing Jesus Christ, the very mind and heart of God, enhances any understanding of the Word of God, the Holy Bible."

Yet KC, another theist here, reckons Jeebus wasn't omniscient. You both imagine you have some special relationship with Jeebus, yet you disagree about him.

This is what I think. “Christ” is a fiction; a mythical figure who symbolizes the unquestioning acceptance of what
well-oiled institutions insist people believe. He’s been a corporate logo used to cajole consumers into having faith in a raft of prejudices, beliefs and behaviors, instead of being broad-minded and thinking for themselves.

Belief in Jesus is like smoking. It satisfies a need, yet ultimately is toxic and harms you without you knowing it. It also harms your children.
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post
16-03-2013, 05:27 AM
Holes, Mark; holes! Ya know what that means, dontcha? It's holy. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-03-2013, 07:05 AM
(16-03-2013 04:35 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Belief in Jesus is like smoking. It satisfies a need, yet ultimately is toxic and harms you without you knowing it. It also harms your children.

The dangers of second-hand Jesus can't be overstated. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 9 users Like Chas's post
16-03-2013, 10:01 AM
(16-03-2013 07:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-03-2013 04:35 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Belief in Jesus is like smoking. It satisfies a need, yet ultimately is toxic and harms you without you knowing it. It also harms your children.

The dangers of second-hand Jesus can't be overstated. Drinking Beverage

I love sites like th is where new ideas can be discovered that I hadn't considered before. LOL . . . . "Jesus like smoking"! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post
19-03-2013, 09:26 PM
where you gone PJ?
19-03-2013, 10:05 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2013 02:07 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(19-03-2013 09:26 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  where you gone PJ?

He's "pleasing Jebus". We don't need to go into it any further. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

20-03-2013, 04:20 AM
(19-03-2013 10:05 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(19-03-2013 09:26 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  where you gone PJ?

He's "pleasing Jebus". We don't need to go into it any further. Weeping
Maybe he models himself on the naked young man who abandoned Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane? I've wondered why Jeebus didn't run like fuck, maybe he had his mind on other things?