Question about the Woman's March.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Question about the Woman's March.
I first want to say that I am a supporter of gender equality. I also understand that many people America and the world are afraid of the future of the United States and angry with our new president. However, I don't understand what the purpose, intent, or end state of the march is? Please believe me when I say that I am in no way trying to bash the event or its participants. I just want to better understand what it is that they are trying to accomplish. I actually want to help but I am unsure of exactly where this movement is going and what feminists are hoping to accomplish. I understand that they are trying to protect woman's rights and equality but I just don't understand how protesting a president who has only been in office for two days is going to change anything. Is the purpose simply for awareness?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2017, 05:45 PM
RE: Question about the Woman's March.
(22-01-2017 05:41 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I first want to say that I am a supporter of gender equality. I also understand that many people America and the world are afraid of the future of the United States and angry with our new president. However, I don't understand what the purpose, intent, or end state of the march is? Please believe me when I say that I am in no way trying to bash the event or its participants. I just want to better understand what it is that they are trying to accomplish. I actually want to help but I am unsure of exactly where this movement is going and what feminists are hoping to accomplish. I understand that they are trying to protect woman's rights and equality but I just don't understand how protesting a president who has only been in office for two days is going to change anything. Is the purpose simply for awareness?

It started out as a women's march, but it actually ended up exponentially larger as all kinds of people who fear being disadvantaged under Trump took to peaceful protesting.

The point is to let Trump know what the people are thinking and worrying about, and that many do not approve of his behavior.

Besides, it's about time someone told him that grabbing the pussy of a random woman is not ok.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
22-01-2017, 06:29 PM
(22-01-2017 05:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 05:41 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I first want to say that I am a supporter of gender equality. I also understand that many people America and the world are afraid of the future of the United States and angry with our new president. However, I don't understand what the purpose, intent, or end state of the march is? Please believe me when I say that I am in no way trying to bash the event or its participants. I just want to better understand what it is that they are trying to accomplish. I actually want to help but I am unsure of exactly where this movement is going and what feminists are hoping to accomplish. I understand that they are trying to protect woman's rights and equality but I just don't understand how protesting a president who has only been in office for two days is going to change anything. Is the purpose simply for awareness?

It started out as a women's march, but it actually ended up exponentially larger as all kinds of people who fear being disadvantaged under Trump took to peaceful protesting.

The point is to let Trump know what the people are thinking and worrying about, and that many do not approve of his behavior.

Besides, it's about time someone told him that grabbing the pussy of a random woman is not ok.

I understand, it is never acceptable to sexually assault anyone. But wasn't all of this discussed prior to the election? Yet Trump won the election despite all the objections. So how is voicing outrage after the election going to do anything to change the results of the election?
22-01-2017, 06:36 PM
(22-01-2017 06:29 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 05:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  It started out as a women's march, but it actually ended up exponentially larger as all kinds of people who fear being disadvantaged under Trump took to peaceful protesting.

I understand, it is never acceptable to sexually assault anyone. But wasn't all of this discussed prior to the election? Yet Trump won the election despite all the objections. So how is voicing outrage after the election going to do anything to change the results of the election?

It won't but maybe it till spur more people to vote in two years after seeing who is following tRump's lead in Congress. Those elections seem to be overlooked, by and large. And it may also cause more people to vote in the next presidential election so that we don't seat someone else who treats women and minorities so horribly.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
22-01-2017, 06:38 PM
(22-01-2017 06:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 06:29 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I understand, it is never acceptable to sexually assault anyone. But wasn't all of this discussed prior to the election? Yet Trump won the election despite all the objections. So how is voicing outrage after the election going to do anything to change the results of the election?

It won't but maybe it till spur more people to vote in two years after seeing who is following tRump's lead in Congress. Those elections seem to be overlooked, by and large. And it may also cause more people to vote in the next presidential election so that we don't seat someone else who treats women and minorities so horribly.
That seems understandable. I guess it is no different than the tea party movement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
22-01-2017, 06:48 PM
(22-01-2017 06:29 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I understand, it is never acceptable to sexually assault anyone. But wasn't all of this discussed prior to the election? Yet Trump won the election despite all the objections. So how is voicing outrage after the election going to do anything to change the results of the election?

It's not—of course—going to change the outcome of the election per se, but the intent of the marches is to show Drumpf that "the people" don't like what he's proposing to do with the US's domestic, and external affairs, and just as importantly that people all over the globe are sharing this dislike. Even here in Australia, a gazillion miles from the US, 20,000 people marched in our capital cities.

And bear in mind that Clinton got 2.9 million more primary votes than Drumpf, which is a far more accurate picture of the people's true wishes. It was solely because of the antiquated Electoral College system that Drumpf won.

It's really immaterial when Drumpf said of attractive women he'd "grab 'em by the pussy"—it's more the fact that this is the way the orange grub thinks of women in general. And remember too that he's been married three times, and he's old enough to be his current wife, Melanija's father.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post
22-01-2017, 06:49 PM
(22-01-2017 06:38 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 06:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It won't but maybe it till spur more people to vote in two years after seeing who is following tRump's lead in Congress. Those elections seem to be overlooked, by and large. And it may also cause more people to vote in the next presidential election so that we don't seat someone else who treats women and minorities so horribly.
That seems understandable. I guess it is no different than the tea party movement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Actually, it is often compared to that. And it may well end up being a progressive part of the democrats. Eventually.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-01-2017, 06:59 PM
(22-01-2017 06:48 PM)SYZ Wrote:  

It's not—of course—going to change the outcome of the election per se, but the intent of the marches is to show Drumpf that "the people" don't like what he's proposing to do with the US's domestic, and external affairs, and just as importantly that people all over the globe are sharing this dislike. Even here in Australia, a gazillion miles from the US, 20,000 people marched in our capital cities.

And bear in mind that Clinton got 2.9 million more primary votes than Drumpf, which is a far more accurate picture of the people's true wishes. It was solely because of the antiquated Electoral College system that Drumpf won.

It's really immaterial when Drumpf said of attractive women he'd "grab 'em by the pussy"—it's more the fact that this is the way the orange grub thinks of women in general. And remember too that he's been married three times, and he's old enough to be his current wife, Melanija's father.

Ahem, I have been married three times. Also been older than each husband. It doesn't make me disrespectful toward men. The number of his marriages doesn't concern me, nor does the age of the wives. They weren't forced into marriage.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
22-01-2017, 07:01 PM
(22-01-2017 06:29 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 05:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  It started out as a women's march, but it actually ended up exponentially larger as all kinds of people who fear being disadvantaged under Trump took to peaceful protesting.

But the majority voted against him. Drinking Beverage

In two years, the Republicans will lose both houses of Congress.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-01-2017, 07:03 PM
(22-01-2017 06:59 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 06:48 PM)SYZ Wrote:  It's not—of course—going to change the outcome of the election per se, but the intent of the marches is to show Drumpf that "the people" don't like what he's proposing to do with the US's domestic, and external affairs, and just as importantly that people all over the globe are sharing this dislike. Even here in Australia, a gazillion miles from the US, 20,000 people marched in our capital cities.

Ahem, I have been married three times. Also been older than each husband. It doesn't make me disrespectful toward men. The number of his marriages doesn't concern me, nor does the age of the wives. They weren't forced into marriage.
It just means you probably look darn good for your age. Wink
[+] 5 users Like jason_delisle's post