Question about the whole NDE concept and Dr. Jeffrey Long

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2016, 06:23 AM
RE: Question about the whole NDE concept and Dr. Jeffrey Long
(17-11-2016 05:54 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Well, this atheist had a near death event in February1998 - two heart attacks in one night, either of which should have been fatal. And I got a neighbour to take me to the hospital and walked in.

No NDE for me. Not sure if being pumped full of morphine would have enhanced or reduced the chance of one. But, in those moments when I was lucid I was only aware of the equipment and procedures being used. My enquiring brain was fully in charge and I was able to respond easily to questions. And ask some...

On two other occasions my cardiac implant has saved my life, though I did black out on one of those.

Blackness of fuzziness in the peripheral vision due to a low of blood pressure (I tend towards hypotension) can cause "tunnel vision" and cause other visual effects - similar to the after image from looking up through a tree canopy at a bright sky then down to a darker area. Though the "after image" effect, for me, is grey rather than green or red and not visible with the eyes closed.

There are also auditory effects; ringing, a tone, a "gong" sound etc, like very loud tinnitus, associated with reduced blood supply to the head.

It would not surprise me if those of a religious disposition and just aware enough to be suffering anxiety regarding their situation, an emotional-pathological state not conducive of rational thought (as I know too well), might interpret these symptoms as "spiritual" in some manner.

This reminds me of a dream I had when I was a teenager. I dreamed I was passionately in love with someone, it was a feeling of incredible ecstasy in the dream, not sex, just emotional ecstasy.

I woke up, it was terrible, it was just a fuckin' dream, I was depressed the rest of the day trying to shake off the effects of that, I felt like I had lost someone I loved.

So yeah, your brain can concoct some deeply emotional and profound experiences that are completely imaginary. After experiencing that dream, it was apparent just how thoroughly an imaginary experience can be brought to life by my brain.

I basically told my brain to cut that shit out! Don't ever do that to me again!

My brain complied.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
17-11-2016, 06:27 AM
And at one point he concludes: The only possible explanation is that the mind travels to other dimensions after death. Laugh out load

In what universe is that the logical conclusion? Bible saturated Louisiana maybe? It's so fucking ridiculous that if the cultural predispositions weren't already present, this guy would not be considered "scientific" in any sense of the term, i.e. you would've never heard of him. Dodgy

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-11-2016, 06:28 AM
(17-11-2016 06:23 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I basically told my brain to cut that shit out! Don't ever do that to me again!

My brain complied.

And who's telling you that your brain complied? Your brain. Laugh out load

living word
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-11-2016, 06:41 AM

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
17-11-2016, 06:49 AM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2016 08:53 AM by Sturm.)
Besides everything that has been just said and very well explained, I just wanted to add this :

people are trying to use NDE as a way to prove the existence of an afterlife.
Push the reasoning a bit further : an afterlife implies some kind of soul that is external to the body and that survives death. But why would there be any such thing if you consider what we know about evolution for instance ? Why would humans have a "soul". Do they think we are the only species to have one ? (considering the size of the universe, it would be very self centered to believe that). During which part of our evolution did we receive our "soul" ? when we were early primates ? when we were fishes ?
maybe when we still were unicellular organisms ? Then what kind of "soul" and afterlife could have an unicellular organism ?
It doesn't make any sense. If it doesn't make any sense, the easiest explanation is : it is because it doesn't exist.

Now, considering that they are trying to use NDE to justify something that doesn't make sense from the start, and that there is a rational, scientific and reproducible explanation for NDE, I don't think it's worth digging all the pseudoscentific literature that tries to state otherwise.

[edit] made a typo that I corrected !
[+] 5 users Like Sturm's post
17-11-2016, 07:57 AM
(17-11-2016 06:49 AM)Sturm Wrote:  Besides everything that has been just said and very well explained, I just wanted to add this :

people are trying to use NDE as a way to prove the existence of an afterlife.
Push the reasoning a bit further : an afterlife implies some kind of soul that is external to the body are that survives death. But why would there be any such thing if you consider what we know about evolution for instance ? Why would humans have a "soul". Do they think we are the only species to have ? (considering the size of the universe, it would be very self centered to believe that). During which part of our evolution did we receive our "soul" ? when we were early primates ? when we were fishes ?
maybe when we still were unicellular organisms ? Then what kind of "soul" and afterlife could have an unicellular organism ?
It doesn't make any sense. If it doesn't make any sense, the easiest explanation is : it is because it doesn't exist.

Now, considering that they are trying to use NDE to justify something that doesn't make sense from the start, and that there is a rational, scientific and reproducible explanation of NDE, I don't think it's worth digging all the pseudoscentific literature that tries to state otherwise.

My two nephews are identical twins. They started out as one embryo. It only had one soul. When my brother's wife had her first ultrasound, the doc said, "Are you ready for two?". My brother said "Damn, we better get over to the soul store". Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-11-2016, 08:16 AM
Steven Novella would be more compelling in the above video if I didn't have this guy squawking in my head:
[Image: 500x354px-de97576f_muppet-jobs-9.jpeg]
Tongue

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
17-11-2016, 08:59 AM
Also, that debate wasn't exactly fair. It was more like 4 vs 1, with the philosopher essentially siding with the skeptics, and Ebon sitting in his corner repeatedly shooting himself in the dick. Laugh out load

living word
17-11-2016, 11:42 AM
(17-11-2016 06:06 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:I am currently an agnostic

*groan*

Quote:However, the concept of Near Death Experiences and Out of Body Experiences cause me to scratch my head.

*groan*

I'm judging the shit out of you right now.

We all have to start somewhere.