Question for Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2014, 07:27 PM
RE: Question for Atheists
(16-04-2014 07:25 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  An Ignostic's answer: .... so what happens if five different groups all build temples, each calls their own the third temple, and each insists that all the others are liars? Do all five temples call the third temple? Is just one of them real and all the others false, and if so, how do we tell which one? Perhaps all of them are false? Is the first one built the true one, or do only suckers fall for that first one? At what point can we check off the "prophesy fulfilled" box? And if we can't ever do that, exactly what would it mean for it to be fulfilled?

Thank you for your answer, you bring up really good point's.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2014, 07:28 PM
(16-04-2014 07:25 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 07:06 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I agree, but i'm one of those types of people that get scared by stuff like this easily, even though I don't believe in it it gets my anxiety going and it makes me really think.

So why do you pay any attention to that sort of hogwash?

Idk, that's one of the reasons I joined this forum, to try and get away from all that and talk to reasonable people.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
16-04-2014, 07:45 PM
(16-04-2014 07:06 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 06:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  Fuck prophecy.

It's all bullshit. Drinking Beverage

I agree, but i'm one of those types of people that get scared by stuff like this easily, even though I don't believe in it it gets my anxiety going and it makes me really think.

I used to get like that... The whole 2012 crap freaked me out until I became an atheist. I found it pretty funny by the time December 21st finally rolled around.

What's more scary than the prophesy itself is some idiot with too much power and a big fat stockpile of nuclear warheads trying to make it come true. A big part of Israel's determination to dominate the region is driven by a belief that it is fulfilling these prophesies.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
16-04-2014, 07:49 PM
Whence the religious fascination with physical site? What relevance does physical site have to do with anything? It's like wanting to build a memorial to the Titanic in the exact agglomeration of ocean molecules the Titanic sank in. Physical site on planet earth is transient. Earthquake, continental drift, shifting rivers, landslides, volcanoes, erosion - nothing is permanent. Land molecules are just as fluid as the sea, albeit they don't shift as fast. Site is irrelevant to the purpose of a temple. It's not there because the dirt it sits on is worshipped.

Or maybe it is. But that raises the question of why worship of dirt take priority over worship of spirit, since access to this particular dirt appears to be inhibiting creation of the temple. If I were a deity expecting worship I'd be irritated by prospective worshippers giving dirt priority over me. But that's just me.
[+] 5 users Like Airportkid's post
16-04-2014, 07:51 PM
(16-04-2014 07:45 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 07:06 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I agree, but i'm one of those types of people that get scared by stuff like this easily, even though I don't believe in it it gets my anxiety going and it makes me really think.

I used to get like that... The whole 2012 crap freaked me out until I became an atheist. I found it pretty funny by the time December 21st finally rolled around.

What's more scary than the prophesy itself is some idiot with too much power and a big fat stockpile of nuclear warheads trying to make it come true. A big part of Israel's determination to dominate the region is driven by a belief that it is fulfilling these prophesies.

Yeah you make a good point.

16-04-2014, 07:51 PM
(16-04-2014 07:49 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Whence the religious fascination with physical site? What relevance does physical site have to do with anything? It's like wanting to build a memorial to the Titanic in the exact agglomeration of ocean molecules the Titanic sank in. Physical site on planet earth is transient. Earthquake, continental drift, shifting rivers, landslides, volcanoes, erosion - nothing is permanent. Land molecules are just as fluid as the sea, albeit they don't shift as fast. Site is irrelevant to the purpose of a temple. It's not there because the dirt it sits on is worshipped.

Or maybe it is. But that raises the question of why worship of dirt take priority over worship of spirit, since access to this particular dirt appears to be inhibiting creation of the temple. If I were a deity expecting worship I'd be irritated by prospective worshippers giving dirt priority over me. But that's just me.

You make some good points and I agree.

16-04-2014, 07:57 PM
(16-04-2014 07:28 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 07:25 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  So why do you pay any attention to that sort of hogwash?

Idk, that's one of the reasons I joined this forum, to try and get away from all that and talk to reasonable people.

LOL well I would have hoped that atheist forums would be an oasis away from religious/superstitious idiocy, but as you'll soon see if you stick around for any length of time, the idiots feel a "need" to barge into our little home and inflict their idiocy on us anyway. Facepalm Fair warning, anyway....

Welcome to the Snake Pit! This is one forum where at least you can vent on the idiots when they do present themselves for evisceration.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
16-04-2014, 08:04 PM
(16-04-2014 07:57 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 07:28 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Idk, that's one of the reasons I joined this forum, to try and get away from all that and talk to reasonable people.

LOL well I would have hoped that atheist forums would be an oasis away from religious/superstitious idiocy, but as you'll soon see if you stick around for any length of time, the idiots feel a "need" to barge into our little home and inflict their idiocy on us anyway. Facepalm Fair warning, anyway....

Welcome to the Snake Pit! This is one forum where at least you can vent on the idiots when they do present themselves for evisceration.

Lol thank you for that warning and the welcome.

16-04-2014, 08:31 PM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2014 05:55 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(16-04-2014 08:04 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 07:57 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  LOL well I would have hoped that atheist forums would be an oasis away from religious/superstitious idiocy, but as you'll soon see if you stick around for any length of time, the idiots feel a "need" to barge into our little home and inflict their idiocy on us anyway. Facepalm Fair warning, anyway....

Lol thank you for that warning and the welcome.

Maybe before we get our undies in a knot over a "prophesy" we should find out what the role of a prophet actually was in ancient Hebrew culture.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid257278
Deuteronomy 18:10
"Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft."

One of the dirty little secrets of Biblical scholarship is there is almost NOT ONE major mainline OT scholar who buys into "prophesy as prediction" business. The looking for "secret meanings" in texts arose late, during the Apocalypic period. Most of the things that were predicted never happened. I hope you know that the "end-times" for a Jew (you DID talk about the temple), was the re-establishment of the Kingdom of David, and eveything was going to hunky-dory. So...IF you buy into Jewish Apocalypticism you should be happy the end-times are about to come. The hundreds of books of "Revelation" which were written after the destruction of Jerusalem were multicultural amalgamations of the many horror stories floating around.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
16-04-2014, 08:46 PM
(16-04-2014 08:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 08:04 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Lol thank you for that warning and the welcome.

Maybe before we get our undies in a knot over a "prophesy" we should find out what the role of a prophet actually was in ancient Hebrew culture.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid257278
Deuteronomy 18:10
"Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft."

One of the dirty little secrets of Biblical scholarship is there is almost NOT ONE major mainline OT scholar who buys into "prophesy as prediction" business. The looking for "secret meanings" in texts arose late, during the Apocalypic period. Most of the things that were predicted never happened. I hope you know that the "end-times" for a Jew (you DID talk about the temple), was the re-establishment of the Kingdom of David, and eveything was going to hunky-dory. So...IF you buy into Jewish Apocalypticism you should be happy the end-times are about to come. The hundreds of book of "Revelation" which were written after the destruction of Jerusalem were multicultural amalgamations of the many horror stories floating around.

Let me see if I can get this straight. Your saying that originally there was not supposed to be any apocalyptic prophecies, those were "added in" later and Revelations was just a bunch of horror stories stitched together about the destruction of Jerusalem?