Question for Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2014, 07:50 AM
RE: Question for Atheists
(17-04-2014 07:46 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  TopTen Natural Disaster List for the US

The article is dated 2010, #2 on the list has already happened, Hurricane Sandy

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2014, 07:54 AM
Chances are you'll be stabbed to death by someone very close to you, whom you thought your friend, and whom you least suspect before some biblical end world prophecies come true.
So chin up and don't worry about it.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
17-04-2014, 07:59 AM
(16-04-2014 06:58 PM)Crulax Wrote:  

From the clip it's obvious not even the Fundies believe this shit, and DO YOU KNOW WHY I know this?

No campers or tents in the background. There isn't anyone hanging around the site, there's just emptiness. The same kind of emptiness you find in the brains of most Fundies...only dust and rocks...lots of rocks.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
17-04-2014, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2014 08:18 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(17-04-2014 06:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 08:59 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Ah, got ya. Thank you for that information. I don't believe in any religion as I am atheist but just the thought of some big apocalyptic event happening scares the crap out of me.

Well, then, you ought to worry about real things like the Yellowstone supervolcano, the Azores megatsunami, asteroid strikes, global pandemics, and the like. Drinking Beverage

[Image: what-me-worry-715605.jpg]

My tsunami is bigger than your tsunami.
Na na.
http://beforeitsnews.com/earthquakes/201...44920.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-04-2014, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2014 09:08 AM by JDog554.)
(17-04-2014 02:10 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Let's talk about all the shit that DIDN'T come true. See where that gets us.

That's probably too long of a list to list.

(17-04-2014 02:16 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Speaking of "prophecies", I'd like to once again bring up this wonderful quote I recently ran across, from the late great Carl Sagan:

"If ‘fulfilled prophecy’ is your criterion, why do you not believe in materialistic science, which has an unparalleled record of fulfilled prophecy?"

Carl Sagan is my 2nd favorite Scientist behind Neil deGrasse Tyson.

(17-04-2014 04:24 AM)Anudist Wrote:  
(17-04-2014 02:36 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  stay grounded, cool your jets, trust your rational brain, dismiss the bullshit

That.

Seriously, people like you are who the religious nuts count on. They want you to feel scared, they want you to be frightened into thinking like they do. Religion can be summed up thusly: It is a means of controlling people through fear, and by promising extravagant and fantastical reward for obedience.

Keep calm, and carry on my friend. Life is beautiful and lasting, drink of the cup and enjoy it.

[Image: image.jpg]

(17-04-2014 04:59 AM)Mat0816 Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 07:01 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  In Israel there is a destroyed Temple and this Temple was destroyed twice. In the Bible there is supposedly a prophecy that states the temple will be rebuilt for a third time to signal end of times or something like that, there's a lot to it.

The bible also says bats are birds, that the earth can stop rotating with absolutely no adverse consequences to the life forms existing on it, and that you can stand atop a mountain and see "all four corners" of a spherical planet.

Color me un-impressed with its predicative ability.

Haha I agree.

(17-04-2014 06:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 08:59 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Ah, got ya. Thank you for that information. I don't believe in any religion as I am atheist but just the thought of some big apocalyptic event happening scares the crap out of me.

Well, then, you ought to worry about real things like the Yellowstone supervolcano, the Azores megatsunami, asteroid strikes, global pandemics, and the like. Drinking Beverage

[Image: what-me-worry-715605.jpg]

Yeah those things tend to scare me too but the odds of the supervolcano and asteroid happening are so low.

(17-04-2014 07:54 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Chances are you'll be stabbed to death by someone very close to you, whom you thought your friend, and whom you least suspect before some biblical end world prophecies come true.
So chin up and don't worry about it.

That's an even scarier thought haha.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
17-04-2014, 09:24 AM
Jumping in late, but...

I came out of a fundamentalist evangelical background in which end times prophecy shit was a big deal. Amongst this group, one of the believed prophecies for the second coming of jesus is that the Jewish temple has to be rebuilt on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem and animal sacrifices re-instated. This is based on a few verses out of Daniel, Thessalonians, I think, and Revelation.

Like all the others, it's vaguely worded shit that you could make to mean whatever you want based on your presuppositional bias, so they read it to mean what I described above.

There are jewish groups (small, fringe ones) active in Israel and here in the US trying to plan for the re-building (making and gathering all the utensils, priests' clothes, etc., and even trying to breed a red heifer), and they are supported by evangelical christian groups who want to usher in the end times.

Crazy shit.
[+] 1 user Likes meremortal's post
17-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Crazy fundy activities scare me but...prophesies...not so much. Don't think I even know any. Best line of defence regarding prophesies is don't pay any attention to them and do something more interesting. Smile

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
17-04-2014, 10:18 AM
(16-04-2014 06:46 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  So for atheist, what are your guy's take on the whole Jewish Third Temple prophecy thing?

As a non-professional atheist, I think it's bullshit.

I'm not even sure what it is because I'm not a theoillogically trained person and have only studied religion in the most minor sense, but it being considered a prophecy is good enough reason for me to reject it as unsubstantiated piffle.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
17-04-2014, 10:18 AM
(17-04-2014 09:24 AM)meremortal Wrote:  Jumping in late, but...

I came out of a fundamentalist evangelical background in which end times prophecy shit was a big deal. Amongst this group, one of the believed prophecies for the second coming of jesus is that the Jewish temple has to be rebuilt on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem and animal sacrifices re-instated. This is based on a few verses out of Daniel, Thessalonians, I think, and Revelation.

Like all the others, it's vaguely worded shit that you could make to mean whatever you want based on your presuppositional bias, so they read it to mean what I described above.

There are jewish groups (small, fringe ones) active in Israel and here in the US trying to plan for the re-building (making and gathering all the utensils, priests' clothes, etc., and even trying to breed a red heifer), and they are supported by evangelical christian groups who want to usher in the end times.

Crazy shit.

Yeah it is all crazy shit. Don't know why they want it to happen so bad.

(17-04-2014 10:07 AM)Eva Wrote:  Crazy fundy activities scare me but...prophesies...not so much. Don't think I even know any. Best line of defence regarding prophesies is don't pay any attention to them and do something more interesting. Smile

Haha I agree thank you for the advice Smile

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
17-04-2014, 10:47 AM
That (post-Exile/early Apocalyptic) period of Jewish history was fascinating, if you're into History as a subject. Lots of complicated "themes". What's really interesting to me is the "paradigm shift" from pre-Exilic male (only of course) family centered social structures, (where "immortality" was not seen as *individual* centered as it is today), were EVERYTHING. Immortality before the Exile was having sons. Period. During the Exile the traditional family groups were disrupted and so many things we don't even "notice" today that are "unexamined assumptions" about the way humans think in 2014 began to arise. As a result of that disruption, many of the "laws" we know today as "Biblical" were created to keep society functioning, (and as the culture was increasingly exposed to Hellenism). Today we take "individualism" for granted, and it's SO ingrained into us and the way we think, we don't even notice it, we can't imagine what things might be like without it. On top of that (for some of us) there is added modern American *rugged individualism* as a value. "Immortality" could have many meanings. Today it means (of course) "continuation" of specific individuals. Could it be otherwise ? Probably not, in a culture that thinks in terms of everything in terms of "individuals". The few hundred year process during which the Hebrew "heroes" gained *immortal* status had a direct impact on the belief systems that came out of it. I also think this shift has a direct impact on, and is one of the reasons Evolution is so resisted today in the US. If what is "ultimately" valued is not individual (expressions of a genome for example) it flies in the face of "individualism". Bla bla bla. Anyhoo, the roots of Jewish Apocalypsticism (which produced those "prophesies") are pretty interesting.
One example is Hanna and her 7 sons, and what exactly they say in their speeches, before they are put to death, (in Maccabees 2).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman_with_seven_sons
Somewhere in there, the concept got cemented. Personal immortality is absent in Maccabees 1, but very much present in Maccabees 2. So what happened ?
It's a very interesting topic, trying to unravel when each was written, by whom, and what they were referencing.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.