Question for Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2014, 11:05 AM
RE: Question for Atheists
(17-04-2014 10:18 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(16-04-2014 06:46 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  So for atheist, what are your guy's take on the whole Jewish Third Temple prophecy thing?

As a non-professional atheist, I think it's bullshit.

I'm not even sure what it is because I'm not a theoillogically trained person and have only studied religion in the most minor sense, but it being considered a prophecy is good enough reason for me to reject it as unsubstantiated piffle.

Haha it does surprise me the amount of people who have not heard about it but fair enough.

(17-04-2014 10:47 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That (post-Exile/early Apocalyptic) period of Jewish history was fascinating, if you're into History as a subject. Lots of complicated "themes". What's really interesting to me is the "paradigm shift" from pre-Exilic male (only of course) family centered social structures, (where "immortality" was not seen as *individual* centered as it is today), were EVERYTHING. Immortality before the Exile was having sons. Period. During the Exile the traditional family groups were disrupted and so many things we don't even "notice" today that are "unexamined assumptions" about the way humans think in 2014 began to arise. As a result of that disruption, many of the "laws" we know today as "Biblical" were created to keep society functioning, (and as the culture was increasingly exposed to Hellenism). Today we take "individualism" for granted, and it's SO ingrained into us and the way we think, we don't even notice it, we can't imagine what things might be like without it. On top of that (for some of us) there is added modern American *rugged individualism* as a value. "Immortality" could have many meanings. Today it means (of course) "continuation" of specific individuals. Could it be otherwise ? Probably not, in a culture that thinks in terms of everything in terms of "individuals". The few hundred year process during which the Hebrew "heroes" gained *immortal* status had a direct impact on the belief systems that came out of it. I also think this shift has a direct impact on, and is one of the reasons Evolution is so resisted today in the US. If what is "ultimately" valued is not individual (expressions of a genome for example) it flies in the face of "individualism". Bla bla bla. Anyhoo, the roots of Jewish Apocalypsticism (which produced those "prophesies") are pretty interesting.
One example is Hanna and her 7 sons, and what exactly they say in their speeches, before they are put to death, (in Maccabees 2).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman_with_seven_sons
Somewhere in there, the concept got cemented. Personal immortality is absent in Maccabees 1, but very much present in Maccabees 2. So what happened ?
It's a very interesting topic, trying to unravel when each was written, by whom, and what they were referencing.

History is very interesting. Learning about where we come from and how life was back in the day, really makes you think twice about taking the thing's we have today for granted.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
17-04-2014, 11:06 AM
(16-04-2014 06:46 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  So for atheist, what are your guy's take on the whole Jewish Third Temple prophecy thing?

As unprophetic as any other silly biblical prophecy.
[+] 1 user Likes Foxen's post
17-04-2014, 02:31 PM
I have a prophecy of sorts, considering there have been five major extinction events and at least seven minor extinction events during earths history, I prophecy that it will happen again, but that has absolutely nothing to do with god unless we call her nature, and I certainly cannot tell you when it will happen, nor have I had visions or dreams of it, and nobody whispered of such an event in my ear, nor was it revealed to me through automatic writing, etc.
[+] 1 user Likes Payntr's post
17-04-2014, 02:36 PM
(17-04-2014 02:31 PM)Payntr Wrote:  I have a prophecy of sorts, considering there have been five major extinction events and at least seven minor extinction events during earths history, I prophecy that it will happen again, but that has absolutely nothing to do with god unless we call her nature, and I certainly cannot tell you when it will happen, nor have I had visions or dreams of it, and nobody whispered of such an event in my ear, nor was it revealed to me through automatic writing, etc.

I can respect that because your just stating the obvious and not coming up with some crazy this has to be done so this will happen prophecy. Thumbsup

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
19-04-2014, 09:16 PM
(17-04-2014 08:12 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(17-04-2014 06:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, then, you ought to worry about real things like the Yellowstone supervolcano, the Azores megatsunami, asteroid strikes, global pandemics, and the like. Drinking Beverage

[Image: what-me-worry-715605.jpg]

My tsunami is bigger than your tsunami.
Na na.
http://beforeitsnews.com/earthquakes/201...44920.html

Doh. Facepalm That's the one I meant.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-04-2014, 09:21 PM
(19-04-2014 09:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-04-2014 08:12 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  My tsunami is bigger than your tsunami.
Na na.
http://beforeitsnews.com/earthquakes/201...44920.html

Doh. Facepalm That's the one I meant.

Oh really ? I thought yours was caused by some canaries ...er somethin'
Tweet tweet.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
19-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Hi guys.

Bucky Ball knows his stuff.

The old temple stuff eh? None of you guys study later Roman history do you?

Julian tried already. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
19-04-2014, 09:42 PM
(19-04-2014 09:33 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Hi guys.

Bucky Ball knows his stuff.

The old temple stuff eh? None of you guys study later Roman history do you?

Julian tried already. Smile

I stopped doing anything educational after high school haha.

19-04-2014, 09:48 PM
I'll save you the time.

If you try to rebuild....

EARTHQUAKE!!!!

Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
19-04-2014, 09:50 PM
(19-04-2014 09:48 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I'll save you the time.

If you try to rebuild....

EARTHQUAKE!!!!

Smile

You should become a teacher, you could go through 12 years of school in like a month.