Question for Ex-Believers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Question for Ex-Believers
Do any of you ever find yourself choking up and feeling like crying when you listen to some of your old favorite songs from church? Sometimes I stumble upon some long forgotten songs I used to sing in church that held such a special place in my heart at the time. Songs I would get so caught up in with my hands in the air, eyes closed with tears streaming down my face, feeling that I was truly experiencing god. Feelings of great joy and happiness. I can't help but feel those same feelings when hearing these songs now, but at the same time when I actually listen to the lyrics I feel sick. It doesn't help that also sang on the worship the team for a while, so I also know a lot of the "hand motions" that we did for the kids. Part of me feels guilty...part of me wants to let go and just sing these songs and get lost in them like I use to, but I feel like if I did that it would just be so weird since I am an Atheist. I can't help but think of what a Christian would say to me if they were watching me. They would tell me I have those feelings even still when listening to these songs because it's "god speaking to me and calling me back".

I know better than that though. I know music has a way of affecting the chemicals in your brain. I felt the same joy and happiness during church worship as I do at a rock concert. Music has a way of transporting you back in time, and if that time you experienced happy feelings, then you will always feel that way when you listen to that song in the future. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone else ever experiences this.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Punk Pumpkin's post
11-06-2014, 08:32 PM
RE: Question for Ex-Believers
Catholics have crappy songs, so no. I can't even remember any, better that way.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
11-06-2014, 08:38 PM
(11-06-2014 08:32 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Catholics have crappy songs, so no. I can't even remember any, better that way.

I went to a "casual" non-denominational Christian church, so the songs were just so damn catchy! I wish they weren't....then I wouldn't be having this problem probably.
[+] 1 user Likes Punk Pumpkin's post
11-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Is one of them "Jesus take the wheel"? Angel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
11-06-2014, 08:42 PM
(11-06-2014 08:32 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Catholics have crappy songs, so no. I can't even remember any, better that way.

Yes!!!

I would routinely skip the longer mass to avoid the stupid songs...

They were much cooler when I was younger and we'd sing Beatles songs. Big Grin

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

11-06-2014, 08:46 PM
(11-06-2014 08:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Yes!!!

I would routinely skip the longer mass to avoid the stupid songs...

They were much cooler when I was younger and we'd sing Beatles songs. Big Grin

You sang Beetles songs in mass?!?!? Ohmy

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
11-06-2014, 08:54 PM
(11-06-2014 08:40 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Is one of them "Jesus take the wheel"? Angel

Haha, nooo. I don't even think I have heard that song before. It's more of the newer songs that were sung in the high school service I guess.
[+] 1 user Likes Punk Pumpkin's post
11-06-2014, 09:11 PM
We used to do hold a Wednesday night service in a little one room historical church in the middle of town where all of the youth pastors from the different churches with musical ability would set up and would just jam all night doing the best contemporary worship tunes. There was this one old dude with a hot pink Yamaha guitar and a mullet that would bust out solos at the perfect time in every song.

I actually have some really great memories from those nights, just a free flowing jam from start to finish. I recognize now exactly where the emotion and elation was coming from, not from god, but the music and the comeradery we shared in a united experience.

So the few times a year I go to church with my family I can still appreciate and enjoy the music when it's well done.

And no, we never sang Jesus take the wheel.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
11-06-2014, 09:12 PM
Yep. Casting Crowns especially Jesus Friend of Sinners. I think for me it's just because if you take the jebus out the song has a really good message. It's the same with most of the ones that have that effect on me.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
11-06-2014, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 11:57 PM by CleverUsername.)
No. Maybe it was just because my church didn't really get into the songs. I didn't even sing half the time, when I did it was a whisper. Songs were just another way to mark how much longer mass was back before I had a phone to check the time on.

Nowadays, I don't even really remember most of the songs. Pretty much the only one I do remember was this one about dancing, which was probably a metaphor, but at the time conjured up amusing mental images of bearded guys dancing around with tambourines.