Question for Ex-Believers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2014, 03:53 PM
RE: Question for Ex-Believers
I went to a mega church and the high school service was called "The Garage". It was much like a concert every weekend. Rock band, fog machines, lights, hundreds of people singing in unison. There is no doubt in my mind that no one was actually feeling "god", we were feeling the psychological effects of strategic lighting, beautiful pieces of music, and the sense of togetherness you naturally feel with that many people singing. I would probably get that same feeling at a Marilyn Manson concert, yet if I went home and claimed I felt god afterward, people would think I was crazy and influenced by the devil. Ha!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Punk Pumpkin's post
12-06-2014, 03:57 PM
(11-06-2014 08:38 PM)Punk Pumpkin Wrote:  I went to a "casual" non-denominational Christian church, so the songs were just so damn catchy! I wish they weren't....then I wouldn't be having this problem probably.

Four days ago I went to a Sunday Assembly where we sang Space Oddity and Crocodile Rock!
13-06-2014, 07:05 AM
We had Latin mass.

So no.

There are religious songs I listen to though. Mozart's requiem mass is one of my favorites. LOVE me some Mozart.
13-06-2014, 08:15 AM
I'm sorry OP... I keep reading your name as "Pumpkin Chunkin".

Just wanted to tell you that.

Carry on.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-06-2014, 09:34 AM
(13-06-2014 08:15 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm sorry OP... I keep reading your name as "Pumpkin Chunkin".

Just wanted to tell you that.

Carry on.

Ha! That's a new one
13-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Get choked up? Not so much. But, I was a fan of Steve Taylor for a while, and I still like his "in your face" snarkiness.
26-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Growing up Catholic and attending a huge church with a wonderful choir and pipe organ meant the music was the best thing.

I still really enjoy some of the songs and even like some Christmas music. The 'poppier' stuff doesn't interest me as much as the old classic songs.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
26-07-2014, 04:58 PM
(13-06-2014 07:05 AM)natachan Wrote:  We had Latin mass.

So no.

There are religious songs I listen to though. Mozart's requiem mass is one of my favorites. LOVE me some Mozart.

Many classical pieces were either written directly for, or adapted as hymns. I still listen to classical and feel the majesty of the music. No lyrics, though. They ruin it all for me.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
02-08-2014, 02:09 PM
(11-06-2014 08:08 PM)Punk Pumpkin Wrote:  Do any of you ever find yourself choking up and feeling like crying when you listen to some of your old favorite songs from church? Sometimes I stumble upon some long forgotten songs I used to sing in church that held such a special place in my heart at the time. Songs I would get so caught up in with my hands in the air, eyes closed with tears streaming down my face, feeling that I was truly experiencing god. Feelings of great joy and happiness. I can't help but feel those same feelings when hearing these songs now, but at the same time when I actually listen to the lyrics I feel sick. It doesn't help that also sang on the worship the team for a while, so I also know a lot of the "hand motions" that we did for the kids. Part of me feels guilty...part of me wants to let go and just sing these songs and get lost in them like I use to, but I feel like if I did that it would just be so weird since I am an Atheist. I can't help but think of what a Christian would say to me if they were watching me. They would tell me I have those feelings even still when listening to these songs because it's "god speaking to me and calling me back".

I know better than that though. I know music has a way of affecting the chemicals in your brain. I felt the same joy and happiness during church worship as I do at a rock concert. Music has a way of transporting you back in time, and if that time you experienced happy feelings, then you will always feel that way when you listen to that song in the future. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone else ever experiences this.

All the time. I miss the warm and fuzzies, the Gregorian Chants, the Icons, some of the hymns, the feeling of Intimacy with my creator, the feeling of security, the peace I had reading Scripture, the Joyful anticipation of eternal life, and the freedom from all these theists (former brothers and sisters and mentors in Christ) trying to save my soul, and this new wave of guilt is particularly discouraging.
02-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Not me, but I was never too into religion when I was younger. I was rebellious. Since I was being forced to go, I naturally was not to into it.Undecided that's just me tho

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein