Question for Malleus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Question for Malleus
You were in Anglican seminary, right?

Could you further educate me on their beliefs of righteousness?

I have the gist: they don't believe in imputed righteousness but believe righteousness is a constant journey and finally reached in heaven.

Is this more or less right?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2012, 08:54 AM
RE: Question for Malleus
No, I was not an Anglican. As pointed before, I was an Eastern Orthodox (close to Catholicism). This close:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/directionst...952561855/

The one with the beard is the Orthodox Patriarch Teoctist. The other one is Pope John Paul II in a friendly visit. They celebrated mass together.

My speculations on Anglicanism are as good as yours.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
16-02-2012, 08:56 AM
(16-02-2012 08:54 AM)Malleus Wrote:  No, I was not an Anglican. As pointed before, I was an Eastern Orthodox (close to Catholicism). This close:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/directionst...952561855/

The one with the beard is the Orthodox Patriarch Teoctist. The other one is Pope John Paul II in a friendly visit. They celebrated mass together.

My speculations on Anglicanism are as good as yours.

Awww crap.

You know what... I mashed Anglican and EO together. I was actually thinking EO.

But, anyway, could you go into detail about EO's belief in righteousness?

16-02-2012, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2012 09:47 AM by Malleus.)
Sure.

The world is fallen and therefore we are all born with the original sin. The original sin can only be forgiven by being baptized (few exceptions). In order to be righteous and receive salvation, you need faith, good deeds, abstinence from sin (pride is by far the worst) AND orthodoxy (heresy will damn you regardless of everything else). Catholics are making some dogmatic mistakes, but they are just barely close enough to avoid the status of heretic. They are flawed, but not enough to endanger their followers' salvation. If one is baptized as a Catholic and decides to become Orthodox, the baptism will not be repeated, but respected as appropriate for salvation. If a Baptist or other type of protestant that received some sort of baptism in their old church wishes to join Orthodoxy, s/he will be re-baptized.

Faith without good deeds is dead. Good deeds without faith are worthless. Orthodoxy confirmed through baptism is the exclusionary clause (with few exceptions). Nobody is worthy of heaven because everybody sins. Good deeds are your obligation. You always need to do better, there is no such thing as "enough". Doing anything less than your absolute best is sinful and you need to repent for that. You could always do "a little better" therefore you always need to repent.

Sins are forgiven through confession - some sins require amends made to your victims or otherwise the priest can hear the confession but may not provide forgiveness. Penitence may be issued (sometimes serious penitence, not just a couple of prayers one evening) Unforgiven sins are paid by spending some time (or eternity, depending on the sin) in hell. God will judge your soul and all your actions in detail and he may decide to forgive some stuff. If your penitence is not over and you die, you may need to complete your penitence time in hell before you are admitted in heaven.

God's judgment will have a perfect balance of mercy and justice. God's grace will not be enough to save you, but you also cannot save yourself without the grace of god.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post
16-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Why do religions other than Baptist get baptized? I was actually Christened as an infant.

Fucking Catholics.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
16-02-2012, 09:58 AM
(16-02-2012 09:54 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Why do religions other than Baptist get baptized? I was actually Christened as an infant.

Fucking Catholics.

It's symbolic. It's a representation of a "new person" or a "washing".

Baptize actually means "dunk". The Baptist took this name because they dunked their new Christians.

How you're baptized is pretty irrelevant, honestly. Paul was probably sprinkled since he was baptized in a tiny Jewish home.

16-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Right. Baptism is seen as a "birth from the holy spirit". At the same time, it "washes away your sins". It's like signing a contract with god, but at the same time you come out of it clean and "brand new".

16-02-2012, 10:26 AM
So Baptist comes from baptism? Not the other way around?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
16-02-2012, 10:28 AM
(16-02-2012 10:26 AM)germanyt Wrote:  So Baptist comes from baptism? Not the other way around?

Right.

16-02-2012, 10:35 AM
(16-02-2012 10:26 AM)germanyt Wrote:  So Baptist comes from baptism? Not the other way around?

Well, John the Baptist lived in the first century and the first Baptist church was founded in the 1600's. You do the math, but he was "the Baptist" because he was baptizing people, not because somehow he was part of an organization that wasn't founded for one millennium and a half after he died.

The traditional churches (Orthodoxy and Catholicism) practice a baptism in the name of the holy trinity. Modern baptist churches commemorate a baptism of forgiveness , the type that John the Baptist used to practice. That is the reason why Orthodox priests officiate "the real thing" when a Baptist wishes to join Orthodoxy. It's simply not the same kind of baptism.