Question for Malleus
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2012, 10:39 AM
RE: Question for Malleus
(16-02-2012 10:35 AM)Malleus Wrote:  
(16-02-2012 10:26 AM)germanyt Wrote:  So Baptist comes from baptism? Not the other way around?

Well, John the Baptist lived in the first century and the first Baptist church was founded in the 1600's. You do the math, but he was "the Baptist" because he was baptizing people, not because somehow he was part of an organization that wasn't founded for one millennium and a half after he died.

The traditional churches (Orthodoxy and Catholicism) practice a baptism in the name of the holy trinity. Modern baptist churches commemorate a baptism of forgiveness , the type that John the Baptist used to practice. That is the reason why Orthodox priests officiate "the real thing" when a Baptist wishes to join Orthodoxy. It's simply not the same kind of baptism.

For all I knew JTB was the reason for the fouding of the Baptist Church and then they started performing Baptisms. I don't exactly research individual sects of Christianity. It'd take me forever and I'd get em all mixed up anyway.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2012, 04:37 PM
See 1:35 for the official Southern Baptist training video.

I think its even KC as the one being baptised!
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
17-02-2012, 04:20 PM
(16-02-2012 08:54 AM)Malleus Wrote:  No, I was not an Anglican. As pointed before, I was an Eastern Orthodox (close to Catholicism). This close:

The one with the beard is the Orthodox Patriarch Teoctist. The other one is Pope John Paul II in a friendly visit. They celebrated mass together.

My speculations on Anglicanism are as good as yours.

Oh...hello, fellow former EO xian. Smile

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
17-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Greetings, sister. May the forces of evil become confused on their way to your house... or something.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.