Question for "Pro American Soldier Deployment" users:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2012, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2012 09:15 PM by PoolBoyG.)
Question Question for "Pro American Soldier Deployment" users:
By "pro american soldier deployment" I mean if you see a picture online with an American soldier posing in uniform and/or with a variety of armaments, you post a comment something to the effect of "Support our Troops" or "Thank you for your service".

My understanding is that you believe service and deployment it's to prevent some sort of 9/11, or invasion, or to spread "freedom".
---If incorrect, what is it then?

But the main question is:
Would you still support US foreign military deployment if you were shown that it increased chances of another 9/11, or it wasn't to spread "freedom"? Be honest.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Question for "Pro American Soldier Deployment" users:
As a former soldier who has been deployed for said wars, I support those who are willing to wear the uniform. That doesn't mean I have to agree with how they may be used. Each case is unique, but using your example, no. I would not support something if I KNEW it would increase our chances of being attacked. I don't think that most people would support such action even though there are a lot of self serving folks out there. I think it's more gray than you present though.
06-11-2012, 09:56 PM
RE: Question for "Pro American Soldier Deployment" users:
The reason for comments like "support the troops" has nothing to do with preventing another 9/11 or war on terror.

Comments like "support the troops" is referring to the what the troops have to go through, IED's, being shot at etc..
They put their lives on the line for us and so when you say "support the troops" it's referring to be thankful for those individual troops sacrifice and the fact they're putting their lives on the line for us.

Nothing to do with politics, in fact part of the saying is referring to you might not like the politics, but these men/women are putting their lives on the line and dieing regardless.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
08-11-2012, 02:41 AM
I believe the Support Our Troops stems from relief and sympathy. As much as I hate the movie, I'll use it in this reference. It's like in Hunger Games or any movie where there's an unwilling volunteer who is chosen to go risk their life or face certain death for some terrible cause. The people being chosen from never seem to support the cause, some war or experiment or "battle for food for the village" (God I hate that movie), but they always make sure to honor the volunteer. We need soldiers for whatever irrational war we've started. And the government is going to get those soldiers however it can, be it volunteers or a draft (involuntary volunteers). So when we volunteering to fill the ranks, those who get to remain at home are thankful that they don't have to fight, so they "thank us" and "support us," not necessarily for what we're doing, but because we're doing it for them.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
08-11-2012, 04:08 AM
(06-11-2012 09:11 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  By "pro american soldier deployment" I mean if you see a picture online with an American soldier posing in uniform and/or with a variety of armaments, you post a comment something to the effect of "Support our Troops" or "Thank you for your service".

My understanding is that you believe service and deployment it's to prevent some sort of 9/11, or invasion, or to spread "freedom".
---If incorrect, what is it then?

But the main question is:
Would you still support US foreign military deployment if you were shown that it increased chances of another 9/11, or it wasn't to spread "freedom"? Be honest.

... Aw, at first I thought I might be able to get in on this, but then I saw the "American" in the first sentence and title.
And then I thought "Fuck it, I'll get in on it anyway. Regardless."

Well, here we go... I do not support unnecessary deployment of my, or any other nations soldiers, and I classify current middle eastern deployment as such an non-necessity, which I assume is the AO you are specifically targeting.

However, being the progeny of an ex-soldier (who served during peace-time in several units and was almost deployed to Kuwait), I do have tremendous respect for soldiers, regardless of their job within the military (I find a lot of people 'romanticize' soldiers and tend to skip over fliers, bombardiers, support techs, what/whoever, for an example check the Atheists in Foxholes podcast ) and as such, I sometimes post/comment like a "support our troops" kind of thing or spread the image/message around, for whatever good it does (0). (I could show one I particularly liked and spread if it is so desired.)

So no, I would not support a US military deployment for the reasons you purpose. And frankly I don't support the pointless number bolstering deployment of Australian troops to Afghanistan which happened recently.

The reasons must be no less then the defense of Australia and neighboring ally nations, with emphasis on defensive deployment for my support (not that my support means or could change anything). It is not our soldiers jobs to be fighting for anybodies freedoms but their (and our) own (Re. spreading "freedom").

To cut it short I support the soldiers, not necessarily the deployment.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
08-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Re: Question for "Pro American Soldier Deployment" users:
Lemme guess OP, you're going to "enlighten" us with a US self hate fueled story about how our actions abroad peed in the cheerios of terrorists, and that if we just wouldnt have been such a bunch of imperialist bullies, 9/11 and WTC1 wouldnt have happened.

What else did your new professor tell you?
09-11-2012, 07:46 PM
What I'm gathering is some users say:

1. Some say no, of course not. They haven't seen or accepted any evidence that's contrary to what they believe.

2. Some automatically deify the "soldier". There's a chance for them to be killed (why it's unique for this profession, that may be for a future question), then they're a Christ like figure and no wrong can be done. Regardless of intent for murder and destruction in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Yemen, Libya, etc. Reality may have less sway on them.

3. And some are just angry and off in their own world, in their own reality.

Not terrible encouraging results, but predictable.