Question for Richard Dawkins » UPDATE

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2013, 04:51 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2013 04:55 PM by Jeffasaurus.)
Video Question for Richard Dawkins » UPDATE
It was definitely cool to see him in person. It was far cooler to sit in the front row directly in front of him. I had a chance to pose the question by I Am. There were others that liked this question.
(08-10-2013 09:19 PM)I Am Wrote:  What role will deliberate manipulation of genes play in the future of evolution?

How flexible can our own genome be in the hands of creative engineers... could we someday twiddle genes to regrow limbs? Organs? Add or enhance sensory modalities? Could a human, or a person based on human genes, ever photosynthesize?

I asked the first question (though I intended it to be verbatim, my nerves paraphrased a bit, but the gist is still there). Through his naturally circuitous response, I believe he may have answered the second as well.

My wife's Blackberry has a tendency to autofocus a lot, sorry.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
11-10-2013, 04:59 PM
RE: Question for Richard Dawkins » UPDATE
(11-10-2013 04:51 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  It was definitely cool to see him in person. It was far cooler to sit in the front row directly in front of him. I had a chance to pose the question by I Am. There were others that liked this question.
(08-10-2013 09:19 PM)I Am Wrote:  What role will deliberate manipulation of genes play in the future of evolution?

How flexible can our own genome be in the hands of creative engineers... could we someday twiddle genes to regrow limbs? Organs? Add or enhance sensory modalities? Could a human, or a person based on human genes, ever photosynthesize?

I asked the first question (though I intended it to be verbatim, my nerves paraphrased a bit, but the gist is still there). Through his naturally circuitous response, I believe he may have answered the second as well.

My wife's Blackberry has a tendency to autofocus a lot, sorry.

Excellent, thanks. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2013, 05:07 PM
When he was talking about using artificial selection on humans, I instantly thought about slavery. Isn't that precisely what slave owners did in order to breed a superior producer? Perhaps not to the extent that Dawkins was thinking, but it has been done.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
11-10-2013, 05:15 PM
(11-10-2013 05:07 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  When he was talking about using artificial selection on humans, I instantly thought about slavery. Isn't that precisely what slave owners did in order to breed a superior producer? Perhaps not to the extent that Dawkins was thinking, but it has been done.

I, myself, was recalling Hitler's intent to create a "master race."

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
11-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Well its a good thing that both of those experiments were stopped.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
11-10-2013, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2013 05:37 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(11-10-2013 05:07 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  When he was talking about using artificial selection on humans, I instantly thought about slavery. Isn't that precisely what slave owners did in order to breed a superior producer? Perhaps not to the extent that Dawkins was thinking, but it has been done.

American slavery was around for what?...250 years?...Not enough time. Need like 10,000 years to make significant changes(eg wolf to poodle).

Other factors to consider in American slavery breeding efforts.....Slaves would be smart enough to find ways to mate with whom they wanted. Slave breeders would sometimes have their way with slaves...these factors would "dilute" any selective breeding efforts.

That's not to say that forced matings and arranged marriages did not have any influence on the makeup of African Americans today. I wonder if slavery never existed would African Americans dominate the NBA.
11-10-2013, 05:44 PM
(11-10-2013 05:32 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  That's not to say that forced matings and arranged marriages did not have any influence on the makeup of African Americans today. I wonder if slavery never existed would African Americans dominate the NBA.

I'll admit it, I typed the same thing, but deleted it after a second thought. Blush

~ Umberto Eco
11-10-2013, 05:52 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2013 06:00 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(11-10-2013 05:44 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(11-10-2013 05:32 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  That's not to say that forced matings and arranged marriages did not have any influence on the makeup of African Americans today. I wonder if slavery never existed would African Americans dominate the NBA.

I'll admit it, I typed the same thing, but deleted it after a second thought. Blush

Selective pressures obviously play a role in what is observed. However I can't say what is observed is the result of artificial selective pressure. Kenyans, who make up maybe half a precent of world population, utterly dominate long distance running and I doubt that has anything to do with slavery. Maybe African Americans would still dominate the NBA even without the effects of slavery because of natural selection.
11-10-2013, 05:59 PM
(11-10-2013 05:52 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(11-10-2013 05:44 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I'll admit it, I typed the same thing, but deleted it after a second thought. Blush

Selective pressures obviously play a role in what is observed. However I can't say what is observed is the result of artificial selective pressure. Kenyans, who make up maybe half a precent of world population, utterly dominate long distance running and I doubt that has anything to do with slavery in America.

You don't know that. A butterfly flaps its wings..... Tongue

~ Umberto Eco
11-10-2013, 06:01 PM
(11-10-2013 05:52 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(11-10-2013 05:44 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I'll admit it, I typed the same thing, but deleted it after a second thought. Blush

Selective pressures obviously play a role in what is observed. However I can't say what is observed is the result of artificial selective pressure. Kenyans, who make up maybe half a precent of world population, utterly dominate long distance running and I doubt that has anything to do with slavery in America.

That has to do with altitude. Kenya Marathon runners primarily come from the high altitude portions of that country. Living for long periods at high altitude increases blood flow (to compensate).

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_p...nners.html

As to slavery resulting in Athletics it is possible. I can't imagine that White Plantation owners with 2000+ years of animal husbandry would not use that skill on what was a very expensive commodity (from their perspective) Slaves were not cheap to own, this is why the men of Washington and Jefferson's generation thought the problem would solve itself. Without the cotton gin slavery was rather unprofitable. We do know that sickle cell anemia is a product of african-american slavery so it is not too much to wonder if some of the athletic accomplishments may be due to that as well.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense